GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone having problems with memory cards?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/01/01 at 20:44
Regular
Is anyone having a problem with the memory card for the PS2?.
I do not know if this is happening to anyone else but, after saving your progress in a game, the game or the console corrupts the data in that slot!.
Being new to the Playstation scene, Is this a common thing or is something up with the card or the console?.
It is pretty damn annoying after a few days gaming and finding that you cannot load up where you last left off and have to start all over again!!!. AARRRGGGHHHH.
It seems to happen mainly with PS1 games when using the original type memory cards. The 8mg PS2 card seems to work well with all the PS2 titles, just the occasional machine crash every now and then.
Then again maybe it is a faulty machine.
Any help would be appreciated!.
Fri 05/01/01 at 20:44
Is anyone having a problem with the memory card for the PS2?.
I do not know if this is happening to anyone else but, after saving your progress in a game, the game or the console corrupts the data in that slot!.
Being new to the Playstation scene, Is this a common thing or is something up with the card or the console?.
It is pretty damn annoying after a few days gaming and finding that you cannot load up where you last left off and have to start all over again!!!. AARRRGGGHHHH.
It seems to happen mainly with PS1 games when using the original type memory cards. The 8mg PS2 card seems to work well with all the PS2 titles, just the occasional machine crash every now and then.
Then again maybe it is a faulty machine.
Any help would be appreciated!.
Fri 05/01/01 at 22:37
"High polygon count"
No problems for me. I have 7 PS2 games, all with saves on one memory card, and 4 PS1 cards with previous games on. No trouble whatsoever.

Are your PS1 cards official Sony or 3rd party?
Fri 05/01/01 at 22:50
this has happened to me when playing a few games on the PS1 and it was very annoying cos it was GT and i had tons of cool cars, was winning every race, it was like the icons were there, but no data, so the Memcard got chucked at the wall and broken.
Sat 06/01/01 at 15:05
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I have 5 ps2 games and have had no problems with the ps2 card, i also have 5 psone cards 2 of which are not sony ones and are both full and these dont give me problems either.
Sat 06/01/01 at 19:13
Yes, Both the cards are official Sony cards.
When we go to load a saved game , the machine comes up with a corrupted data message!.
Piping us off at the moment, might take it back to the shop to see if something up with the thing.
Nirvana
Sun 07/01/01 at 13:21
"High polygon count"
Another silly question...

Do you have your PS2 switched on when you switch cards? Your PS2 should always be switched off - or on standby - when you insert or remove a memory card.

I don't mean to talk to you like you're an idiot, but you'd be surprised how many people plug things in with the machine switched on! :-)
Sun 07/01/01 at 21:41
Wookie,
Well I hope the kids are doing that!.
What they do as they get further into a game is to save at every save point. When they then make a bad move or play badly is to restart the game, at a more favourable position, as they then know what to do!.
When they reload, that is when the error message pops up.
The only solution, that I have come up with, is to save the game on three slots and then at least you have something to fall back on!.
The thing that I have noticed though, is if you save another save-game over the corrupted slot the data appears to be alright. Puzzling is not the word!!.
They seem to be doing everything right, pressing the reset button to restart the game or turning the machine off before changing the mem cards.
Never seems to happen to me though, but then again I never seem to get a go of the damn thing.
Nirvana
Sun 07/01/01 at 21:46
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
My memory crad is working fine. As been said before, make sure its on standby before removing anything from the PS2. If this continues, get another card.
Mon 08/01/01 at 00:25
"High polygon count"
Nirvana,

I'm at a loss to explain it, but you're not the first person I've heard of with this problem; I just wanted to be sure there wasn't an obvious reason.

I've only ever had a problem with one memory card, and that was a freebie 3rd-party card that came with the first ever issue of PSW magazine... it screwed up the save of my GT2 game, so I binned it (the card, not the game!)

But that was on my PS1 - I've never had a problem (yet!) on the PS2. Is it always on the same card, or has it happened on more than one? Could it just be a dodgy card?
Mon 08/01/01 at 07:28
It has happened to me a few times (say 3-4) with an offical mem card, lets hope it dont happen with my PS2 one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.