GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can PS2s be connected to PCs and run on a PC monitor?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/01/01 at 23:50
Regular
I am probably going to buy a PC sometime this year, in preparation for the later years of my degree. I was hoping that I could connect my PS2 to the PC. This would save having a TV and Monitor around the place. A friend of mine says he has his N64 connected to his PC, so I was hoping there might be a PS2 equivalent. Does anybody know?

Also, whilst I`m asking about connectors, can I connect my speakers to my PS2 without turning DVDs green? I started using my old PSX connnector, which had a great picture and great sound, but I was shocked when I tried to watch a DVD. I am told this was because it was RGB and the DVD playback in the machine had disabled this. So, I went off to town to get a new connector. In Game they were selling a great cable that was specifically for PS2, and connected audio to PS2 to TV. I bought this, thinking that the people in Game knew what they were talking about, but evidently they didn`t, because this cable had precisely the same problem as the first. I have virtually given up now, but does anybody have any suggestions?
Wed 03/01/01 at 23:50
Regular
I am probably going to buy a PC sometime this year, in preparation for the later years of my degree. I was hoping that I could connect my PS2 to the PC. This would save having a TV and Monitor around the place. A friend of mine says he has his N64 connected to his PC, so I was hoping there might be a PS2 equivalent. Does anybody know?

Also, whilst I`m asking about connectors, can I connect my speakers to my PS2 without turning DVDs green? I started using my old PSX connnector, which had a great picture and great sound, but I was shocked when I tried to watch a DVD. I am told this was because it was RGB and the DVD playback in the machine had disabled this. So, I went off to town to get a new connector. In Game they were selling a great cable that was specifically for PS2, and connected audio to PS2 to TV. I bought this, thinking that the people in Game knew what they were talking about, but evidently they didn`t, because this cable had precisely the same problem as the first. I have virtually given up now, but does anybody have any suggestions?
Thu 04/01/01 at 10:21
"High polygon count"
At the moment, you can't connect to a PC monitor - but I'm sure someone will come up with a product that lets you do that soon enough.

Any true RGB SCART cable will give you green DVD playback.

As for the speakers, that may depend on you set-up. I have a DVD player, so an RGB cable is fine for me.

My TV has two audio output jacks, so I have my PS2 connected to my TV via an RGB SCART lead, and I bought the necessary phono leads in Tandy to take the stereo output from my TV to my hi-fi.

What you could do is use the cable that came with your PS2 (or buy a better quality version of the same thing) and plug only the video lead (yellow) into your TV, then run the audio (red and white) to an audio input on your hi-fi.

If you need any extension or adapter leads to do this, you can get practically everything you need from a Tandy store.
Thu 04/01/01 at 22:19
Regular
Wookiee Monster, you are amazing!!!!
I can finally watch DVDs with good sound! I had never thought to try using part of the original cable. However, I`m still a bit worried about the effects of having only the yellow cable plugged in. Does it affect only the sound, or are there other effects as well?
Thu 04/01/01 at 23:11
"High polygon count"
> Wookiee Monster, you are amazing!!!!

You're too kind! It's nothing amazing really - I've just developed a knack for cabling. I once had 4 appliances (Amiga 500, CDTV, video and PlayStation) connected through one input on a hi-fi; faced with that sort of thing, you tend to pick up on cabling and switches etc. very quickly.

> However, I`m still a bit worried about the effects of having only
> the yellow cable plugged in. Does it affect only the sound, or
> are there other effects as well?

Nope, nothing else will be affected. The only thing you really have to worry about is dust. You could probably cover the two exposed plugs with a small plastic bag and an elastic band or something... but who knows, maybe Tandy also do dust covers for exposed/unused plugs?
Mon 08/01/01 at 09:42
"High polygon count"
ssxpro wrote:
> I am probably going to buy a PC sometime this year, in preparation
> for the later years of my degree. I was hoping that I could connect
> my PS2 to the PC. This would save having a TV and Monitor around the
> place. A friend of mine says he has his N64 connected to his PC, so
> I was hoping there might be a PS2 equivalent. Does anybody
> know?

More potentially good news for you...

The current issue of P2 magazine has an advert on page 102 for a company called "Project K" and the have a "Multi use VGA box". And I quote...

"Use upto 4 items on your monitor.

Plug any AV equipment into this versatile VGA box. A total of 3 AV equipment can be plugged into this Multi Use VGA Box at the same time. Press a button to select the item you want to use on the monitor.

Example: PSX, PS2, Dreamcast, Video and PC connected all at the same time."

Okay, I know they said 3 items, and that list makes 5... but I'm just quoting the advert! Still, if you only want PC and PS2 then it should be more than adequate.

From the small picture of the box in the advert, it seems you may need an S-Video cable to connect your PS2 to the box, but call them to make sure.

Contact details for Project K:

Web: http://www.projectk.com
Tel: 020 8508 1328
Fax: 020 8508 3845

Address:
Project K
The Seedbed Centre
Langston Road
Loughton
Essex
IG10 3TQ

The box is £59.99 and they accept Delta, Visa, Mastercard, Switch and Solo cards, or you can pay by cheque/Postal Order.

P&P is £2 per item, or £15 for insured courier on hardware.

I've never ordered from them, and I take no responsibility for the reliability or quality of service they provide.

Hope this helps!
Mon 08/01/01 at 09:45
"High polygon count"
Sorry, forgot the e-mail address...

[email protected]
Mon 08/01/01 at 11:14
"High polygon count"
Just looked at the web site... the also have a PS1/PS2-specific box:

PSX/PS2 VGA BOX £49.99 P+P £3
Mon 08/01/01 at 16:10
"High polygon count"
Just popping to the top F.A.O. SSXpro...
Mon 08/01/01 at 22:14
Regular
Thanks again Wookiee Monster, I`ve copied the page so that I can keep the details!
One last question though. Why does your name vary between normal lettering and weird accented letters and stuff? I don`t mind at all, only I thought for a while there might be two of you.
Mon 08/01/01 at 23:11
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I two thought there were two of you.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.