GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"website programming languages"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/10/06 at 09:39
Regular
Hello, I'm a embedded C programmer (and can use Microsoft VB and VC++ when required and can even understand how something like http://chat.freeola.com/add_thread.php?forumid=4 links to the files on a server) and I'm looking at starting some website programming (about which I know nothing) for personal use and because it won't hurt my CV. Can anyone suggest which languages I ought to concentrate on and any tutorials or downloadable books suitable for someone who understands the principles of programming? I'm tempted by Java as it is so versitile but I think it may be better to work on html, php and the like to start off with. What do you think?
Thanks,
Pat
Tue 03/10/06 at 09:39
Regular
Hello, I'm a embedded C programmer (and can use Microsoft VB and VC++ when required and can even understand how something like http://chat.freeola.com/add_thread.php?forumid=4 links to the files on a server) and I'm looking at starting some website programming (about which I know nothing) for personal use and because it won't hurt my CV. Can anyone suggest which languages I ought to concentrate on and any tutorials or downloadable books suitable for someone who understands the principles of programming? I'm tempted by Java as it is so versitile but I think it may be better to work on html, php and the like to start off with. What do you think?
Thanks,
Pat
Tue 03/10/06 at 12:07
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Well, you'll first want to look into some basic HTML and CSS, allowing you to actually display content to the user, and then I'd say go for PHP and maybe look into databases, such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Zend Technologies have a very good PHP tutorial, although it will likely start off a bit slow if you're experienced with C/C++, so probably best to skim-read the first few chapters...

Click Here
Tue 03/10/06 at 13:37
Regular
Thanks Sibs, already know the (very) basics of HTML and DBs, though never even heard of CSS before. I guess I'll have a look at that and make a start on php; great link, Thanks again
Tue 03/10/06 at 13:40
Regular
"..."
I concur with all the languages already suggested, that coupled with your embedded knowledge should cover most things you'll need to do.

You may want to read up on Flash stuff as well, as that seems to be in vogue in certain industries on the net.
Fri 06/10/06 at 18:35
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Hazy wrote:
> Thanks Sibs, already know the (very) basics of HTML and DBs,
> though never even heard of CSS before. I guess I'll have a look
> at that and make a start on php; great link, Thanks again

Agreed on PHP, but HTML is the very base of creating a working website. You should be concentrating on getting more familiar with it first, before delving into PHP really.

And CSS is a very useful tool for designing and maintaining the layout (and other stuff like formatting, colours, etc) of your site, it's not very complicated and it'll save you sooo much effort, you should definitely be learning to use it to start with.
Sun 08/10/06 at 16:44
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
Hi
If you want some basic help check out my Topic on this forum about building your first website.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.