GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"C / c++ does anyone know C programing"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/01/03 at 23:47
Regular
hello to u all! do any of you know C ,if so where could i download some software for it from
Thu 16/01/03 at 12:51
Regular
"relocated"
Cool. I'll check Ruby out later, when I'm not 'working'.
Thu 16/01/03 at 01:54
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Ruby is the sexiest scripting language, see www.rubycentral.com. It's got b*****-all support in the West though.
Wed 15/01/03 at 20:36
Regular
"relocated"
Python is also a pretty good beginner's language. And you can make real programs with it too. www.python.org I think.
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:55
Regular
I recently started learning C and the book I'm using is C for Dummies which is pretty good and easy to understand. Okay I may only know very basic things but I actually understand it due to the book. Compiler I am using was recommended to me by unknown and you can find it if you search google for Dev-C++
Wed 15/01/03 at 15:24
Regular
"relocated"
You definitely want to learn something object oriented. For C++ I can't recommend Steve Heller's book 'Learning to Program in C++' highly enough. It goes beyond the syntax and teaches you what is going on underneath the language. I'd already taught myself basic C++ when I bought this book, but I only really *understood* C++ after reading it. It's suitable for complete beginners, and features dialogues between the author and a (real) student: her questions seem really stupid at first, but you come to realise that these conversations are really banging home some programming fundamentals.

Infinitely better than:

"Type in this:

#include

int main()
{
cout << "I am a programming genius" << endl;
return 0;
}

Congratulations, you are a programming genius. Now go and program Quake 4"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130324108/ ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-8719526-9585264
Tue 14/01/03 at 13:21
Regular
""
i agree. ive done both and think that java is a lot easier for beginners. even simple things such as garbage collection are handled much better in java. and if youre that keen on C++ then switching once you have the basics of java learnt isnt so hard.
Tue 14/01/03 at 12:38
Regular
"smile, it's free"
www.borland.com

Just about everything you'll want for C, C++ and Java there.

I do recommend learning Java first though, as it is easier for beginners to get to grips with, and it's 99% the same as C++ anyway. Moving on to C++ once you're fluent in Java will take you virtually no time at all.

If you do go for Java, check out java.sun.con for all the assistance you'll ever need...
Tue 14/01/03 at 12:30
Regular
"Kill all Hippies"
I did a bit of C at uni, mainly so I could write DLLs. For writing them it is excellent and speeds up programs written in VB a treat.

As Turbonutter said, you'd be best learning C first as it is a good stepping stone into programming.
Tue 14/01/03 at 07:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I disagree, C is probably just as good even if it's not OO. Best start with C then move on to C++.

Or in your case, don't even bother starting.
Tue 14/01/03 at 01:11
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Are you sure you want to learn C/C++? They are a bit heavyweight for the beginner, you might be better off with Java, which is ace for learning programming in. Programming C/C++ is too hard for the majority of the population of planet Earth.

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/ is probably the best free C++ compiler out there though (to answer your question). Google for C++ tutorials. Don't get involved with C, it's not Object Oriented and you will pick up all sorts of bad habits.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.