GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No Option Piracy ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/01/03 at 20:46
Regular
Maybe this should be in Movies, Music forum, but what the hey.

Ever since getting broadband, and Kazaa, I've been unable to resist fuelling one of my interests that I've had for ages - Anime, japanese animation.

The latest episodes, with english subtitles - or occasionally english dubs - are all there ready for the downloading having been copied by someone, somewhere, with access to them in America or Japan.

Maybe not many of you have heard of them, but these are the latest series - Chobits, FLCL, //hack, Patlabor WXIII, Love Hina, and tons more. My hard drive is filling up with them, and I've started making my own VCDs to watch on my DVD player. They're great, and for the first time I can watch anime. that I've only had the chance to read about before, at home.

Yet, it's piracy is it not ? By downloading the material I'm not buying it, so the creator and the owning company get no money from me, shops lose sales, e.t.c.

But there lies the problem.

None are available in the UK, and there are no chances of them ever coming here for a long long time. I'm realistic - if they were on TV the audience figures would not exactly be off the scale.

The anime that is available in the UK - Ah My Goddess ;), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Patlabor, Bubblegum Crisis, e.t.c I do own, all the ones I like I've bought. So I'm willing to pay for genuine items.

So what options are left ? Importing ? Only Amazon and US anime sellers have them as they're all Region 1 - and in some cases not even available in the US at alland just Japan. If I import then I need a modified DVD player to play them, and I get charged import taxes for buying aborad - something I could not buy here anyway. I've tried this - and a DVD works out at about £28 a time this way - very expensive I'm sure you'll agree.

So I'll continue to get them from Kazaa, and such, but I'd much rather buy them from a real shop, but I don't really have a choice.

I know the same can be said for many kinds of music and bands/artists, anything beyon mainstream is hard to find unless you live in London, and you pay for it.

It's no wonder Kazaa, IRC, and other filesharing programs are so popular is it ?
Sun 05/01/03 at 09:59
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
cookie monster wrote:
> Belldandy wrote:
> Chobits
>
> I think the Tolkien enterprise would raise an eyebrow at that.

Do they make it or something ? If they're so bothered they should get it out over here on region 2 !
Sat 04/01/03 at 21:50
"+ suspicious minds"
I had that channel once...
Sat 04/01/03 at 02:26
Regular
Seeing as we're on the subject, I would like to winge at the Sci-Fi channel for only showing ANime movies at midnight, whats up with that?
Sat 04/01/03 at 02:18
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Belldandy wrote:
> Chobits

I think the Tolkien enterprise would raise an eyebrow at that.
Sat 04/01/03 at 02:17
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
This is where Kazaa could be useful to businesses. Just by providing a rough picture of what people are downloading companies could get a much better idea of what the demand is like for their products and increase supply accordingly, hopefully lowering the price accordingly. I think what you're doing is a perfectly legitimate use of Kazaa and while it might not be legal I doubt anyone would ever chase you up about it.
Sat 04/01/03 at 02:10
Regular
Tell me about it

The only problem is I spend a week downloading one episode. Still, broadband in less than a fortnight, I can't wait to finally be able to talk about everything with my American friends at last.
Fri 03/01/03 at 20:57
I've thought about this before - it's essentially a lose-lose situation. If you are interested in certain things, you have to break the law one way or the other to pursue your interest.

I'm not actually sure what would happen if they were to catch you; if you could explain the situation there has to be a high chance of getting away with it, seeing as you have no choice. It is indeed a predicament. The only real way to avoid breaking the law is not to watch these things. *Sigh*, we'll never win.
Fri 03/01/03 at 20:46
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Maybe this should be in Movies, Music forum, but what the hey.

Ever since getting broadband, and Kazaa, I've been unable to resist fuelling one of my interests that I've had for ages - Anime, japanese animation.

The latest episodes, with english subtitles - or occasionally english dubs - are all there ready for the downloading having been copied by someone, somewhere, with access to them in America or Japan.

Maybe not many of you have heard of them, but these are the latest series - Chobits, FLCL, //hack, Patlabor WXIII, Love Hina, and tons more. My hard drive is filling up with them, and I've started making my own VCDs to watch on my DVD player. They're great, and for the first time I can watch anime. that I've only had the chance to read about before, at home.

Yet, it's piracy is it not ? By downloading the material I'm not buying it, so the creator and the owning company get no money from me, shops lose sales, e.t.c.

But there lies the problem.

None are available in the UK, and there are no chances of them ever coming here for a long long time. I'm realistic - if they were on TV the audience figures would not exactly be off the scale.

The anime that is available in the UK - Ah My Goddess ;), Neon Genesis Evangelion, Patlabor, Bubblegum Crisis, e.t.c I do own, all the ones I like I've bought. So I'm willing to pay for genuine items.

So what options are left ? Importing ? Only Amazon and US anime sellers have them as they're all Region 1 - and in some cases not even available in the US at alland just Japan. If I import then I need a modified DVD player to play them, and I get charged import taxes for buying aborad - something I could not buy here anyway. I've tried this - and a DVD works out at about £28 a time this way - very expensive I'm sure you'll agree.

So I'll continue to get them from Kazaa, and such, but I'd much rather buy them from a real shop, but I don't really have a choice.

I know the same can be said for many kinds of music and bands/artists, anything beyon mainstream is hard to find unless you live in London, and you pay for it.

It's no wonder Kazaa, IRC, and other filesharing programs are so popular is it ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.