GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Year of the No. - 2003"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/01/03 at 03:39
Regular
I feel something, I felt it last night. It felt nice.

Onto the topic.

This year I am going to become a force to be remembered. I will finish college and I will get into university (my interview is on 21st Jan).

I will learn Final Cut Pro 3 and After Effects. I will become by my 18th birthday a young student who knows industry standard packages. You will see my works. All of them will be reserved towards my love for my dad, without him I wouldn't be anywhere near as strong as I am. By the end of the year I will have done:

Short Action film: Crawling Space
Music Video : Looking Out (Respect to Goatboy)
Short drama film: Love Story (Respec to Grix)

I know I can do this. 2003 will be my year. I have had too many bad years and this one will be different. Things will change.

I am having an operation this year on my nose and throat. I am scared of that operation as nine hours under a knife is dangerous but I know its going to be ok because then I will be able to breath properly again.

People will stand up and notice.
I have spent too long and too many hours thinking.
Now is the time for action.
Get ready.
This is my year.

*gets all Mr Motivator videos out and watches them*
Fri 03/01/03 at 15:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Why wait?
Can't you just tell me now?
Fri 03/01/03 at 15:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
gerrid wrote:
> Yes, perhaps he should try and be more original.

You wait.
Fri 03/01/03 at 15:21
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Yes, perhaps he should try and be more original.
Fri 03/01/03 at 13:50
"Darth Vader 3442321"
gerrid wrote:
> I predict it is about a small man who suddenly grows a mulitude of
> legs on his torso, due to an industrial accident inolving telephones,
> and has to scuttle around searching for work after he is fired from
> his job as accounts conusultant to a major speaker firm. He ends up in
> a fight one dark night with an equally small man and loses all of
> legs, so he is forced to crawl around and struggle with his own
> preconcieved ideas about crawlers. But society will not allow him to
> be accepted and he is shut in a broom cupboard, and forced to dance
> for the pleasure of onlookers. But all he wants is some crawling
> space.

That's what I thought. Hmmm another predictable Hollywoodesque plot methinks.
Fri 03/01/03 at 11:53
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
If you want to learn After Effects then there's a great site (which you probably know about) called creativecow.net. Not only does it have tonnes of practical and easy to follow tutorials (with the exception of flowy text titles which I *still* can't get to work) but the forums are packed with professionals who are all really nice and very helpful. Oh and there's even a tutorial for doing bullet-time :-)

On the book side of things most tend to be geared towards pro's, as the things so damned expensive that it's not really a beginner-y type program. Adobe's classroom in a book is one way of getting started, but the stuff in there is mind-numbingly basic once you get the general idea of how stuff works. Other books show you what people have done and how you can follow the same steps to arrive at the same finished article. These are really useful, with the one exception that many AE pro's are also adept users of 3D Studio Max and integrate footage from there to get round AE's limited 3D capabilities. I'm attempting to learn a 3D program, Cinema 4D (from the demo), at the moment without much success, but I'll probably have a better shot at it in the holidays. The best AE book I've seen so far is "Revolutionary After Effects", but I've only seen it in one book shop and I didn't get it then, though it is available on Amazon.

If you want a good intro to doing sci-fi type stuff then try crewoftwo.com's guide to how they did the effects on there star wars homage 'duality'. They pulled off some Hollywood level effects with a combination of AE and other programs.

AE also lets you use the brilliant digieffects plug-ins cinelook and cinemotion, which will allow you to give your video footage a more film-y look, even matching different types of film stock.

Anyways, After Effects is really worth learning, especially if you're not a mac user (like me) because it fills in most of Premiere's limitations, particularly in the titling department, and provides lots of other nice features. The 3D features are quite addictive because you can make really impressive stuff, but they're let down by not allowing you to import 3D models from other programs, and AE's 3D modelling features are great, so long as you don't mind constructing things solely out of flat rectangles with no curves anywhere. It seems that most pro's use AE for putting together their montages and doing linking work and finishing touches such as titles and transitions.

My favourite Ae-type thing of the moment is a short film/animation I saw in a tutorial book:
http://www.bd4d.com/bd4d/features/f010/chris/movie.htm

That was done with AE for everything except the really fancy 3D camera stuff, which was done with 3D Studio Max, only using splines though, which isn't too difficult.
Fri 03/01/03 at 03:54
Regular
"everyone says it"
Three days into the year and I am already on the way.

Nearly finished the first draft of 'Crawling Space' script.

Going to have some superb effects in it, explosions, gun fires etc..

I also cleaned up my dad's out camera, superb condition now, and got the Pan and Tilt working with my camera (had problems with the bracket).

Thank you all. :)
Thu 02/01/03 at 21:45
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Go for it.

I like making films. I need a better computer though and some editing gear because editing at on camera is just pants
Thu 02/01/03 at 17:57
Regular
"everyone says it"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> *high fives er-no*

I am just about to email you with details of where to get that Script thingy from.
Thu 02/01/03 at 15:56
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
*starts whooping like a red-neck*
Thu 02/01/03 at 15:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I predict it is about a small man who suddenly grows a mulitude of legs on his torso, due to an industrial accident inolving telephones, and has to scuttle around searching for work after he is fired from his job as accounts conusultant to a major speaker firm. He ends up in a fight one dark night with an equally small man and loses all of legs, so he is forced to crawl around and struggle with his own preconcieved ideas about crawlers. But society will not allow him to be accepted and he is shut in a broom cupboard, and forced to dance for the pleasure of onlookers. But all he wants is some crawling space.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.