GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In serious need of motivation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 01/01/03 at 22:20
Regular
Hello forum people, time for more spleen venting and brain ranting from me, the forgotten staffie.

I need motivation. I was 22 in December, and a few days after my birthday, I had realised that I had pretty much wasted the last year of my life. When you realise just how short life is, a year is a hell of a long time to let pass by, especially when you're in your early twenties. You see, my problem is that I'm lazy. There's loads of things I want to in life, and I very rarely get round to doing any of them, purely down to lethargy.

For example, I love music, love listening to music and enjoyed playing in a 'band' briefly. I can read and write music, and secretly reckon I'd make a pretty good songwriter if I put my mind to it. So why not do it then? I've got guitars, Lord knows I've got plenty of spare time (more on that later) and I've even got proper recording equipment at my own home - my Dad's into recording music for adverts etc., so anything I could possibly need to write/record/mix songs is readily available. Yet I haven't recorded a single song, not even attempted so much as learning how the equipment works. Why? What's my major problem? This is what I'm trying to figure out.

Lots of people have said to me "Why don't you just get down and do it?" and I say it's not because I can't, it's because when the moment comes, I can't bring myself to do anything worthy with my life, and settle down comfily on my bed to watch telly/play games/dwindle another year of my life away. I'm fully aware of what this attitude leads to, it leads to loneliness, a lack of self worth and the horror of reaching 30 years only to find out the best years of my life have just been washed down the plughole. You can also apply the above formula to writing/getting a girlfriend/losing weight, it's all the same when you boil it down. It might sound a bit David Brent, but one thing that terrifies me is wasted potential, in myself mind. I know I can do these things and I know what'll happen to me if I don't get myself sorted out, but have I done anything about it? Have I fu...

So it's going to change. For once, I'm going to make New Year's Resolutions that are going to mean something, and that are going to stick. This year, I'm going to record at least 3 songs and press them to CD, I'm going to write a film/screenplay/short story, I'm going to set up a website and gosh darn it, I'm going to get a girlfriend. I'm fed up of being sat on the sofa while the soul drains out of me, I'm going to ruddy well (this swear filter is rubbish) do something about it, and I'd like you all to be witnesses. Website must be up by April 1st, songs must be recorded by July 1st and film thingy must be written by October 1st - girlfriend will come in time (no pun intended).

For God's sake people, hold me to this. Pop this topic as much as you want, and remind me what I've said I'm going to do. I do want to get my life in working order, but it's abundantly clear that I'm ill equipped to do it without some help. If you've got any ideas you want to give me, by all means go ahead, I'll give you my personal e-mail address and we can brainstorm *does David Brent finger thing*. Really people, I mean it - bully me if you have to, but read this post, and make me stop playing videogames - this morning I played Tiger Woods for about 5 hours, great start to the year, huh?

It's going to happen, really it is. Even just writing this makes me feel like something's changing. Of course, one month down the line I could by playing Tiger Woods again, but then I can hold you responsible (ha). So, first up - the website. Those of you who caught the ill-fated Digifelch website may have some idea about what it's going to be like, only not as face-achingly nerdy. It's going to have honest reviews (ahem) and intelligent writing, and people from this forum are going to help me - you all know who you are, and I haven't even asked you yet. Cheers guys and gals.

It's the first day of 2003, and I feel better already. My brain's in perfect working order, my life is just in need of a reshuffle, that's all. I'll keep you all updated, naturally, and I'll contact a few of you about ideas and stuff I'm interested in. So here we go. It's a bit scary actually, but I know I can do it, it's a big step to admit you've been wasting your life, but I have done and I'm fully ready to move onto the next stage. I'm a mature bloke, and I'm ready to grab hold of things and start dictating how I want then to be.

And I'm going to start by buying a laptop. Seeya soon people, wish me luck.
Thu 20/02/03 at 18:53
Regular
"¬_¬"
I made a resolution to write a book. It was awesome fun, I had a great plot, and I wrote 60 pages in Word in just under a week. Then I went over it again, realised it was boring and crap, and have stopped. I need action in it, but I can't get around to it.

I know the feeling, Mr. Snuggly. Persist and you'll get there, though. I've gone back to my book recently and I'm doing fantastic. I hope to get it published.
Thu 20/02/03 at 17:51
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Poppingness.

Anyway. This is in no way relevant to anything but here goes.
Tomorrow I am doing my first 'real' (ie. face to face) interview with a band! I'm recording it onto my MiniDisc and I'll type it up and also put up an audio file of it on my website (assuming I can get it onto my PC...)

Anyway. This has little relevance to anything except motivation... I just E-mailed the band cos I knew they were playing a local dive on Friday and figured it'd be cool to do an E-mail interview with them (I didn't reckon they'd reply in time to arrange a proper face to face) but it seems it's gonna happen! So it should be cool. Wish me luck for tomorrow! The band is Jetplane Landing by the way. Mexcellent.
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:52
Regular
"EX - Staff Flirt"
Nah, Juss in the Silly Arseee Squadron

(Thass SAS to anyone who dun get it)
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:52
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Larrykins wrote:
> he took the day off yesterday.....plonker

Ah, you see that would make sense.

Hrm.

Anyway, I still demand websitage, and I'm sure he mentions a previous website in the original post.
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:51
Regular
"Hmmm....."
I dunno really...

Err... you have special friends in the Mafia?

;-)
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:50
Regular
"EX - Staff Flirt"
Hercules! wrote:
> Her "sources."
>
> ;-)

Whats that s'posed to mean? =P
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:49
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Her "sources."

;-)
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:48
Regular
"EX - Staff Flirt"
BEARDS. wrote:
> How do you know he's having the day off?
he took the day off yesterday.....plonker
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:47
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
BEARDS. wrote:
> Right. I've seen total lack of progress in all but the skateboarding
> fronts.
>
> I demand web sitage.

I've seen his site design and it's pretty good. It's gonna tip-up as soon as it's put into different browsers/resolutions, but that can be sorted out in the blink of an eye. I was very impressed with what is gonna be his first attempt at a website.
Tue 18/02/03 at 13:47
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
How do you know he's having the day off?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.