GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Happy Hauntings..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 31/10/08 at 17:28
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
I feel I should add something about Halloween...as today is...Halloween! If you didn't know, for the past couple of weeks, I've been visiting America.

This is the first time I've been in America for Halloween, so I'm extra specially excited. Although when I was younger, we had American friends who used to take us on to the 'Greenham Common Airbase' to go 'Trick or Treating', and that was like stepping into America in itself (my friends at school were so jealous when I brought in all the American sweets that hadn't made it over to England by that point, don't worry, I shared them around) but this, actually being in America, is different. This whole day is going to be like no other Halloween, and I'm going to tell you why...

Firstly, NO-ONE embraces Halloween like the Americans, and I love them for that. We went to DisneyWorld a few weeks ago and they REALLY go for it also, everything was autumnal looking and Halloween themed, it looked stunning. To try an explain why today is going to be a lot of fun, and why no-one does it like the Americans...this is my agenda for the day...

1) It's just gone noon, and I have lots to do...I have to get our costumes together. My partner and I are going as a sailors, like in the Navy..I went to the Army surplus store yesterday to get dogtags and it was RAMMED with people getting costumes, you've never seen anything like it. This store is more or less quiet all year round, but now this time of year, you couldn't move...and it's a BIG place. It took us a few weeks to think of our costumes. We went shopping a few weeks ago...and my point was proved why I love America at Halloween. Target (kind of like Tesco, they sell everything, but with less food and more household stuff) had virtually half the store dedicated to Halloween, including 2 aisles for 'Trick or Treat' baskets alone, 4 aisles for themed sweets (not just cheap stuff, but classy 'thorntons' equivalent too), 4 aisles for Halloween gifts (!!?? I found out about 'boo boxes'), 4 aisles for things to decorate your house with and 6 aisles for costumes...not forgetting the section with costumes for your pet!! It was amazing! So, where was I? Oh yes, Costumes, they're nearly done, just need ironing.

2) I have to finish my pumpkin. My partner has an anchor carved and I need to finish off mine, which is Popeye. It's taken me bloody ages, but as an artist I felt obliged to be extra creative, to keep up my reputation, you know? It's getting there, and looks very good, if I do say so myself.

3) Make a pumpkin pie. I have everything I need, I just need to make it. This evening at 6'o'clock, we're going to our friend's parents house to help give out candy to the 'Trick or Treater' kids. We live in a very urban part of the city, and they live in a more rural area with lots of families and school kids, so it should be much more of a community based affair over there. Which should add another dimension to the fun. Also, it's very republican over there, so as 'democrats' it will be interesting to chat with the parents to try and grasp why the hell anyone would want to elect a candidate that selects a complete unknown, ignorant, in-experienced, flawed excuse for a Vice President...by that I mean Sarah Palin!...The woman is a joke, as is McCain, but anyway, this is about Halloween, not Politics (thank the lord). American's do 'Trick or Treating' very differently (but this is probably different depending on what part of the states you go). Everyone's front doors are open with cauldrons (no joke, well ok, big big pots) of candys that the kids come and help themselves to. There's no sense of 'Give me something or else' which is how the UK seems to do it. I've had teenagers at my door (in UK) without a costume expecting something (a bop in the face I would to have given) then are angry when you don't have anything for them and confused why you don't think they've dressed up properly. It seems if you 'Trick or Treat' in the UK, you'll be lucky if you get an apple, 3 pence and a fun sized mars bar. Unlike here where you can get a carrier bag full of penny sweets that can last you up to 5 months. One of my American friends was telling me how she still had Halloween candy at Easter!

4) Once we're done giving out candy, we're going to the 'High Ball'. The street where we're living currently is called High Street, and they're blocking off the road a few blocks up and are having an outdoors Masked Ball. You can only go in if you have a mask (or costume) and there's music, drinks, games, drink, DJ's, drink...did I mention drink? Haha. It's going to be like an outdoor club, from 8 until midnight. I think it's going to be so much fun and so interesting to see how it comes together, plus a chance to catch up with friends, if we can find them out of all the dressed up folk.

5) At 9'o'clock, it's our very good friend's fancy dress Halloween party. Over the years, she has built up quite a healthy reputation for throwing THE best parties! I've been to a few and they are so much fun. Loads of food and lots of drink, plus lots of fun and interesting people I've never met before. As it's Halloween, she'll be making a vat of 'Hairy Buffalo', which is a Halloween family tradition passed down through her family. It's basically a cocktail of the epic kind. It contains everything from Vodka, to strawberries, to KoolAid and the rest is a secret. Don't worry it's a very responsible party, there'll be no Frats!

So, that's it really for my day...as well as all the other day to day bits and pieces I have to do. On my way to the supermarket yesterday, I took photos of all the houses that have been dressed up. It would seem that if your house doesn't have a pumpkin on your doorstep or a fake gravestone in your front garden, then you're the weird one!

Do you see what I mean about how America embraces Halloween? They even have Halloween M&Ms for goodness sake. If you can stay with friends in America for Halloween, I recommend it. I would also love to know if anyone in England knows of any towns that celebrate it in the same way.

Sadly I'll be back in England by the time Thanksgiving comes around, that's another holiday I'll be sad to miss.

Anyway...hope you all have a Spooktastic Halloween, and if you couldn't give a rats a**e about Halloween, I hope you have a peaceful one with no trick or treaters (UK 'Trick or Treaters' are very different to ones over here, as I explained above).

One final word: 'WoooooooooOOOOOooooooo' (that was my ghost impression)

Thanks for reading :)

© MarcoG 2008
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 31/10/08 at 17:28
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
I feel I should add something about Halloween...as today is...Halloween! If you didn't know, for the past couple of weeks, I've been visiting America.

This is the first time I've been in America for Halloween, so I'm extra specially excited. Although when I was younger, we had American friends who used to take us on to the 'Greenham Common Airbase' to go 'Trick or Treating', and that was like stepping into America in itself (my friends at school were so jealous when I brought in all the American sweets that hadn't made it over to England by that point, don't worry, I shared them around) but this, actually being in America, is different. This whole day is going to be like no other Halloween, and I'm going to tell you why...

Firstly, NO-ONE embraces Halloween like the Americans, and I love them for that. We went to DisneyWorld a few weeks ago and they REALLY go for it also, everything was autumnal looking and Halloween themed, it looked stunning. To try an explain why today is going to be a lot of fun, and why no-one does it like the Americans...this is my agenda for the day...

1) It's just gone noon, and I have lots to do...I have to get our costumes together. My partner and I are going as a sailors, like in the Navy..I went to the Army surplus store yesterday to get dogtags and it was RAMMED with people getting costumes, you've never seen anything like it. This store is more or less quiet all year round, but now this time of year, you couldn't move...and it's a BIG place. It took us a few weeks to think of our costumes. We went shopping a few weeks ago...and my point was proved why I love America at Halloween. Target (kind of like Tesco, they sell everything, but with less food and more household stuff) had virtually half the store dedicated to Halloween, including 2 aisles for 'Trick or Treat' baskets alone, 4 aisles for themed sweets (not just cheap stuff, but classy 'thorntons' equivalent too), 4 aisles for Halloween gifts (!!?? I found out about 'boo boxes'), 4 aisles for things to decorate your house with and 6 aisles for costumes...not forgetting the section with costumes for your pet!! It was amazing! So, where was I? Oh yes, Costumes, they're nearly done, just need ironing.

2) I have to finish my pumpkin. My partner has an anchor carved and I need to finish off mine, which is Popeye. It's taken me bloody ages, but as an artist I felt obliged to be extra creative, to keep up my reputation, you know? It's getting there, and looks very good, if I do say so myself.

3) Make a pumpkin pie. I have everything I need, I just need to make it. This evening at 6'o'clock, we're going to our friend's parents house to help give out candy to the 'Trick or Treater' kids. We live in a very urban part of the city, and they live in a more rural area with lots of families and school kids, so it should be much more of a community based affair over there. Which should add another dimension to the fun. Also, it's very republican over there, so as 'democrats' it will be interesting to chat with the parents to try and grasp why the hell anyone would want to elect a candidate that selects a complete unknown, ignorant, in-experienced, flawed excuse for a Vice President...by that I mean Sarah Palin!...The woman is a joke, as is McCain, but anyway, this is about Halloween, not Politics (thank the lord). American's do 'Trick or Treating' very differently (but this is probably different depending on what part of the states you go). Everyone's front doors are open with cauldrons (no joke, well ok, big big pots) of candys that the kids come and help themselves to. There's no sense of 'Give me something or else' which is how the UK seems to do it. I've had teenagers at my door (in UK) without a costume expecting something (a bop in the face I would to have given) then are angry when you don't have anything for them and confused why you don't think they've dressed up properly. It seems if you 'Trick or Treat' in the UK, you'll be lucky if you get an apple, 3 pence and a fun sized mars bar. Unlike here where you can get a carrier bag full of penny sweets that can last you up to 5 months. One of my American friends was telling me how she still had Halloween candy at Easter!

4) Once we're done giving out candy, we're going to the 'High Ball'. The street where we're living currently is called High Street, and they're blocking off the road a few blocks up and are having an outdoors Masked Ball. You can only go in if you have a mask (or costume) and there's music, drinks, games, drink, DJ's, drink...did I mention drink? Haha. It's going to be like an outdoor club, from 8 until midnight. I think it's going to be so much fun and so interesting to see how it comes together, plus a chance to catch up with friends, if we can find them out of all the dressed up folk.

5) At 9'o'clock, it's our very good friend's fancy dress Halloween party. Over the years, she has built up quite a healthy reputation for throwing THE best parties! I've been to a few and they are so much fun. Loads of food and lots of drink, plus lots of fun and interesting people I've never met before. As it's Halloween, she'll be making a vat of 'Hairy Buffalo', which is a Halloween family tradition passed down through her family. It's basically a cocktail of the epic kind. It contains everything from Vodka, to strawberries, to KoolAid and the rest is a secret. Don't worry it's a very responsible party, there'll be no Frats!

So, that's it really for my day...as well as all the other day to day bits and pieces I have to do. On my way to the supermarket yesterday, I took photos of all the houses that have been dressed up. It would seem that if your house doesn't have a pumpkin on your doorstep or a fake gravestone in your front garden, then you're the weird one!

Do you see what I mean about how America embraces Halloween? They even have Halloween M&Ms for goodness sake. If you can stay with friends in America for Halloween, I recommend it. I would also love to know if anyone in England knows of any towns that celebrate it in the same way.

Sadly I'll be back in England by the time Thanksgiving comes around, that's another holiday I'll be sad to miss.

Anyway...hope you all have a Spooktastic Halloween, and if you couldn't give a rats a**e about Halloween, I hope you have a peaceful one with no trick or treaters (UK 'Trick or Treaters' are very different to ones over here, as I explained above).

One final word: 'WoooooooooOOOOOooooooo' (that was my ghost impression)

Thanks for reading :)

© MarcoG 2008

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.