GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Console] Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/10/08 at 15:48
Regular
"Hello?"
Xbox360

Having been a PS3 owner for a year I controversially decided to trade it in for an Xbox mainly due to the lack of games being released for my preferred style of play. I picked up the middle spec console, 60GB version to ensure I had enough room for all the media and games I wanted to download etc. So what’s this white box of magic from one of the world’s richest men got to offer then?

Graphically the 360 has a lot to offer, games like Lost Odyssey and Halo are some of the show off titles as such. Not having the Blue-Ray discs doesn’t seem to be a problem. I’ve the 360 hooked up to an HDTV and it’s an extremely crisp picture. The 360 can produce some awesome visual scenes and it still doesn’t feel as though the full power has been unleashed.

We all buy a games console primarily for one soul reason, to play games. However having a few extra features added into your console is always a bonus. There’s the media centre section on the Xbox dashboard that allows you to put all you photos/movies and music on. It’s well thought out and very user friendly. There’s ability to connect your pc to the 360 for easy file sharing which is a neat touch.

As with all the next generation consoles online is a massive feature and almost all games released have some sort of online mode. Microsoft have been a little cheeky here, you have to subscribe to Xbox live at a cost of around £30-40 per year. I say a little cheeky as it’s not that much really but still you’d like to think it’d be free, part of the experience you get when purchasing the 360 anyway. There’s a wide range of demos to download for free and you can purchase Microsoft points to download games/movies and game additions. All the games that I have played online so far have been lag free and I’ve not had any connection problems at all. So in respect to the online side of things it’s all pretty smooth.

The list of games that you can get for the Xbox 360 is massive and I mean massive, it’s been out a little while and while it has a strong upcoming release schedule there are some real gems from around the release date. There’s literally something for the whole family, with games like scene it you can get everyone involved.

Why wouldn’t I buy one? Can’t think of that many negatives to be honest but I’ll share the few I found. The noise of the console when playing a game is noticeable. After a few minutes of playing it won’t faze you though. The wireless controller is battery powered, so can be expensive but you can pick up a charging pack for under £10, well worth doing. If your internet connection is not that close to your 360 and you require wireless connection you will need to purchase a wireless adapter and it doesn’t come with the console, which will set you back around £50. Not the most outrageous con but still something to consider if buying the console. That’s about the only gripes I have with Microsoft’s effort latest effort in the world of console gaming.

So would I rate it over the Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3? To be honest it all depends on what style of games you are into. The Xbox is miles ahead on the PS3 in terms of RPG games. In my opinion the 360 is very good value for money, it’s got a huge backlog of great games that are creeping into the bargain bins. I’d advise you pick up the 60GB version as you shouldn’t require and more additional space than that.

Overall a really great entertainment console providing games that all the family can enjoy, if you’re still undecided check out the list of future releases scheduled, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed!
Wed 22/10/08 at 16:40
"possibly impossible"
Nice review, certainly worth owning a 360, though I wouldn't have given up my PS3 for one!

I'll enjoy mine better if it comes back to me!

The one disadvantage of owning an Xbox360 is the fact that sooner or later you'll get the RROD unless the console has been bought in the last 6 months or less.

When this happens you'll have to wait 2 weeks to get a replacement (another refurbished console) and it really makes you realise how much you miss it!

My 360 was the first console of this generation that I bought and still gets played a fair amount, though the PS3 tends to be played more at the moment. I think i even wrote a review of the console back in the day!
Wed 22/10/08 at 16:12
Regular
"THFC"
Good Review - I think buying my Xbox 360 was one of the best descions i made. It was kind of an impulse buy but it really paid off and i have never looked back. I really enjoy the Xbox live, the games everything about it

Thank you Microsoft lol
Wed 22/10/08 at 15:48
Regular
"Hello?"
Xbox360

Having been a PS3 owner for a year I controversially decided to trade it in for an Xbox mainly due to the lack of games being released for my preferred style of play. I picked up the middle spec console, 60GB version to ensure I had enough room for all the media and games I wanted to download etc. So what’s this white box of magic from one of the world’s richest men got to offer then?

Graphically the 360 has a lot to offer, games like Lost Odyssey and Halo are some of the show off titles as such. Not having the Blue-Ray discs doesn’t seem to be a problem. I’ve the 360 hooked up to an HDTV and it’s an extremely crisp picture. The 360 can produce some awesome visual scenes and it still doesn’t feel as though the full power has been unleashed.

We all buy a games console primarily for one soul reason, to play games. However having a few extra features added into your console is always a bonus. There’s the media centre section on the Xbox dashboard that allows you to put all you photos/movies and music on. It’s well thought out and very user friendly. There’s ability to connect your pc to the 360 for easy file sharing which is a neat touch.

As with all the next generation consoles online is a massive feature and almost all games released have some sort of online mode. Microsoft have been a little cheeky here, you have to subscribe to Xbox live at a cost of around £30-40 per year. I say a little cheeky as it’s not that much really but still you’d like to think it’d be free, part of the experience you get when purchasing the 360 anyway. There’s a wide range of demos to download for free and you can purchase Microsoft points to download games/movies and game additions. All the games that I have played online so far have been lag free and I’ve not had any connection problems at all. So in respect to the online side of things it’s all pretty smooth.

The list of games that you can get for the Xbox 360 is massive and I mean massive, it’s been out a little while and while it has a strong upcoming release schedule there are some real gems from around the release date. There’s literally something for the whole family, with games like scene it you can get everyone involved.

Why wouldn’t I buy one? Can’t think of that many negatives to be honest but I’ll share the few I found. The noise of the console when playing a game is noticeable. After a few minutes of playing it won’t faze you though. The wireless controller is battery powered, so can be expensive but you can pick up a charging pack for under £10, well worth doing. If your internet connection is not that close to your 360 and you require wireless connection you will need to purchase a wireless adapter and it doesn’t come with the console, which will set you back around £50. Not the most outrageous con but still something to consider if buying the console. That’s about the only gripes I have with Microsoft’s effort latest effort in the world of console gaming.

So would I rate it over the Nintendo Wii and Sony Playstation 3? To be honest it all depends on what style of games you are into. The Xbox is miles ahead on the PS3 in terms of RPG games. In my opinion the 360 is very good value for money, it’s got a huge backlog of great games that are creeping into the bargain bins. I’d advise you pick up the 60GB version as you shouldn’t require and more additional space than that.

Overall a really great entertainment console providing games that all the family can enjoy, if you’re still undecided check out the list of future releases scheduled, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.