GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"de Blob [Wii]"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'de Blob'.
Mon 20/10/08 at 14:30
"possibly impossible"
Most of the Nintendo Wii games I’ve been excited about are by Nintendo themselves. It seems that Ninty know how best to get the most out of their little white wonder. So it’s a refreshing change when a game comes along that feels like it has the Nintendo quality without the badge. De Blob is one of those games.

The premise is simple. Your world has lost all its colour due to an invasion by INKT, an evil dictatorship that wants to control the land and stamp out all colour. The people of the world have been imprisoned and only you and a few puddles of colour can make a difference.

This involves bouncing around, hitting creatures that are stealing the colours and getting the paint all over you, then spreading it to buildings by touching them. Completing a block of buildings frees the people inside and also opens switches to gates and colour restorers. To open the gate you need to have enough colour power before you can advance to the next stage.

In essence this is pretty simple. Avoid the hazards (black ink spills and creatures out to get you) plus the water which will wash off any ink and try to paint the buildings before the time runs out. The more ink you manage to capture the larger you get and the higher you can jump, useful for reaching taller buildings. Things start easy and get more complicated as you go on, having to paint in certain colours for instance, but the first few stages are great for getting used to your bouncing blob.

In addition to this there are 2 other modes to play. The first is a multiplayer game where you can choose to have a paint-off, chase the ‘it’ blob who can paint or race to a specific location. The second is a free paint mode, which you can unlock by completing levels of the game and lets you just mess about in the world without any dangers holding you up.

My 4 year old daughter had a great time just playing through the first few levels, even finding the jump (flicking the remote down or up) easy to handle. As she gets stuck in a lot of other games, it’s good to find one that has really simplified the controls without making the game too simple and boring at the same time. Knowing that I too had a good time playing through de Blob really shows how much this can appeal to any age group.

De Blob is a very well put together game with colourful friendly graphics that are both pleasing and full of character, some nice sound (though nothing too memorable) and some great gameplay. While it’s not too taxing for adults, it’s still worth a play, but if you want a game that you can share with your children and still have a great time yourself then de Blob is perfect.

8/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 20/10/08 at 14:30
"possibly impossible"
Most of the Nintendo Wii games I’ve been excited about are by Nintendo themselves. It seems that Ninty know how best to get the most out of their little white wonder. So it’s a refreshing change when a game comes along that feels like it has the Nintendo quality without the badge. De Blob is one of those games.

The premise is simple. Your world has lost all its colour due to an invasion by INKT, an evil dictatorship that wants to control the land and stamp out all colour. The people of the world have been imprisoned and only you and a few puddles of colour can make a difference.

This involves bouncing around, hitting creatures that are stealing the colours and getting the paint all over you, then spreading it to buildings by touching them. Completing a block of buildings frees the people inside and also opens switches to gates and colour restorers. To open the gate you need to have enough colour power before you can advance to the next stage.

In essence this is pretty simple. Avoid the hazards (black ink spills and creatures out to get you) plus the water which will wash off any ink and try to paint the buildings before the time runs out. The more ink you manage to capture the larger you get and the higher you can jump, useful for reaching taller buildings. Things start easy and get more complicated as you go on, having to paint in certain colours for instance, but the first few stages are great for getting used to your bouncing blob.

In addition to this there are 2 other modes to play. The first is a multiplayer game where you can choose to have a paint-off, chase the ‘it’ blob who can paint or race to a specific location. The second is a free paint mode, which you can unlock by completing levels of the game and lets you just mess about in the world without any dangers holding you up.

My 4 year old daughter had a great time just playing through the first few levels, even finding the jump (flicking the remote down or up) easy to handle. As she gets stuck in a lot of other games, it’s good to find one that has really simplified the controls without making the game too simple and boring at the same time. Knowing that I too had a good time playing through de Blob really shows how much this can appeal to any age group.

De Blob is a very well put together game with colourful friendly graphics that are both pleasing and full of character, some nice sound (though nothing too memorable) and some great gameplay. While it’s not too taxing for adults, it’s still worth a play, but if you want a game that you can share with your children and still have a great time yourself then de Blob is perfect.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.