GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] 2007 - Run, Fat Boy, Run"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/10/08 at 10:14
Regular
"THFC"
Not the latest film for me to be reviewing I know, but I managed to catch this one on Sky the other day, it was a film I wanted to see but never got around to actually going to the cinema or renting it. But I finally noticed it was due to start on one of the movie channels and decided to put it on.

The film opens to a busy house filled with people preparing for a wedding; Thandie Newton is doing some finishing touches to decorations and a cake, while Dennis Doyle (played by Simon Pegg) is in his bedroom “getting ready.” As time pushes on his best man is waiting for him to come out, during which time Dennis is seen sweating and looking at old pictures, before making a swift dart for the open window and running down the road. His wife to be, Libby, played by Thandie Newton comes out of the house to see him going off in the distance, to which the camera pans out to show she was also pregnant.

5 years on, Dennis is seen running after a rather manly looking woman, who has just stolen a bra from a women’s clothes store. Dennis is no longer as slim or as quick as we saw 5 years ago, but in fact struggles to catch the “woman” and is out of breath very quickly. On his return from work it is apparent to see his life has not gone for the best since leaving his pregnant ex-girlfriend Libby. Here we are first introduced to the overweight Mr. Ghoshdashtidar, who rents out a room below his house to Dennis and while he allows him to carry on staying there despite late rent payments.

When Dennis goes to see his son and take him out to see Lord of The Rings, things go wrong and he ends up getting arrested for trying to buy tickets illegally, to which Libby has to come and bail him out and Dennis learns of her new boyfriend, American rich man Whit, and how he runs marathons for charity. Seeing that the women he still loves but left at the altar is moving on, inspires him to sort his life out and win her back. So begins the real plot in the story, Dennis will train for the Nike London Run to show Libby he is committed, and will finish something. Hopefully all this will win the women he wants back, and the marathon is in a month. So begins his training with his best friend and Mr. Ghoshdashtidar. I won’t go further to spoil the ending but I think you all know how it ends!

Run, Fat Boy, Run was for me an enjoyable film, while it is not Simon Pegg’s usual all out comedy, it is more of a film to watch with a girlfriend as it is a funny romantic comedy with little emphasis actually being on romance. There were no moments which made me laugh out loud, but it is more of a slight chuckle here and there alongside a nice story. I am glad that I never paid to go see the film, but at the same time I am also happy I finally got to watch it.

A slightly better than average romantic comedy with some funny moments that will keep the viewer entertained. Worth watching and also look out for Little Britain star David Walliams who makes an appearance, he plays a character just like one out of Little Britain, but still adds to the humour.

6.5/10
Fri 10/10/08 at 15:54
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Emmie87 wrote:
>but i am curious to see what his new film is like.

Don't be, me and my girlfriend went to see this over the weekend and it was dire.
Fri 10/10/08 at 08:08
Regular
"THFC"
yea Shaun of the dead was ace, and you can buy it for like £3 which is a must if you don't own it. Hot Fuzz was good, had a few funny moments but was not as good. Run, Fat Boy, Run is like i have said "enjoyable" but i am curious to see what his new film is like.
Thu 09/10/08 at 19:19
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
I was really disappointed when I saw this film. Its like Simon Pegg is trying to lose his film credibility earnt from Shaun of the Dead by making really drab mediocre films.

Shame as SOTD was brilliant.
Thu 09/10/08 at 11:41
Regular
"THFC"
i liked it, but if you happen to be sitting in front of the TV when it is on then it is worth giving it a look, if not then don't rent it or buy it, as you could spend your money elsewhere and it would have been much better spent.
Thu 09/10/08 at 11:05
"possibly impossible"
Pretty much heard similar things from several media reviews so I'm not sure I want to go watch this.
Thu 09/10/08 at 10:14
Regular
"THFC"
Not the latest film for me to be reviewing I know, but I managed to catch this one on Sky the other day, it was a film I wanted to see but never got around to actually going to the cinema or renting it. But I finally noticed it was due to start on one of the movie channels and decided to put it on.

The film opens to a busy house filled with people preparing for a wedding; Thandie Newton is doing some finishing touches to decorations and a cake, while Dennis Doyle (played by Simon Pegg) is in his bedroom “getting ready.” As time pushes on his best man is waiting for him to come out, during which time Dennis is seen sweating and looking at old pictures, before making a swift dart for the open window and running down the road. His wife to be, Libby, played by Thandie Newton comes out of the house to see him going off in the distance, to which the camera pans out to show she was also pregnant.

5 years on, Dennis is seen running after a rather manly looking woman, who has just stolen a bra from a women’s clothes store. Dennis is no longer as slim or as quick as we saw 5 years ago, but in fact struggles to catch the “woman” and is out of breath very quickly. On his return from work it is apparent to see his life has not gone for the best since leaving his pregnant ex-girlfriend Libby. Here we are first introduced to the overweight Mr. Ghoshdashtidar, who rents out a room below his house to Dennis and while he allows him to carry on staying there despite late rent payments.

When Dennis goes to see his son and take him out to see Lord of The Rings, things go wrong and he ends up getting arrested for trying to buy tickets illegally, to which Libby has to come and bail him out and Dennis learns of her new boyfriend, American rich man Whit, and how he runs marathons for charity. Seeing that the women he still loves but left at the altar is moving on, inspires him to sort his life out and win her back. So begins the real plot in the story, Dennis will train for the Nike London Run to show Libby he is committed, and will finish something. Hopefully all this will win the women he wants back, and the marathon is in a month. So begins his training with his best friend and Mr. Ghoshdashtidar. I won’t go further to spoil the ending but I think you all know how it ends!

Run, Fat Boy, Run was for me an enjoyable film, while it is not Simon Pegg’s usual all out comedy, it is more of a film to watch with a girlfriend as it is a funny romantic comedy with little emphasis actually being on romance. There were no moments which made me laugh out loud, but it is more of a slight chuckle here and there alongside a nice story. I am glad that I never paid to go see the film, but at the same time I am also happy I finally got to watch it.

A slightly better than average romantic comedy with some funny moments that will keep the viewer entertained. Worth watching and also look out for Little Britain star David Walliams who makes an appearance, he plays a character just like one out of Little Britain, but still adds to the humour.

6.5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.