GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Getting games on Release Date"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/10/08 at 15:52
"possibly impossible"
Every time a big game is released it's always the same; a host of people get really excited on gaming forums everywhere and clamour to pre-order. Pre-ordering is obviously useful if you want to guarantee a game when it's released, but do you really need to get a game on it's release date?

In this current climate of rising prices and cost of living, saving money is important. With most games costing £40 a shot, it would make sense to wait a while for a game to come down in price.

I’m as guilty as anyone else of getting excited about going to a shop to get a game at launch, but I can’t really explain why in a logical sense. Yes, it’s a thrill to play it before the masses and chat about it as a hot topic on gaming forums, but does that justify a £10 difference in getting it now or waiting a while?

The reason I’m questioning this is, I guess, due to my own finances. With a family to support it gets harder to justify spending money on games. I’ve already used trade-ins and had to part with titles I haven’t finished but probably wouldn’t play for a while. But even this has been in aid of buying another game at release, Little Big Planet in this case. Thinking about it, there is no real reason to get it now, other than the fact that I’ve seen it and I want it as soon as possible. Waiting a few weeks or even a month or two wouldn’t kill me.

Looking at my games collection, I wonder how many more games I’d have now if I waited to get them instead of getting new versions on release. But I know that when the next big game comes around (Saints Row 2 perhaps?) I’ll be down to trade in some more games for it or find some cash from somewhere. Maybe it’s an addiction we suffer from, but I don’t think I’m alone!
Sun 05/10/08 at 16:14
Regular
I personally don't get games till they either come out on platinum or till they are under at least £20. But the situation may change on 7th gen consoles or at least on the PS360 because of online gaming. One example is that im waiting for COD 4 to come out on platinum or under £20 but the price hasn't changed much since launch. In fact it droped a bit then rose back up to £40 again. So by the time I get COD 4 I fear that very few people will still be playing the by then and will of converted to COD: World At War. This isn't always the case. If the game is truly amazing then i'll get it as soon as it is realeased. This was the case for GTA 4 and will no doubt be the case for Final Fantasy XIII too.
Sat 04/10/08 at 12:03
Regular
With the exception of the odd major new releases, I'm finding that I'm waiting a little longer before picking up games now. After all, I paid £15 for Gears of War as I knew it would be such a great hit (with all the hype at launch) that it was bound to come out as a 'classic' soon - I'll probably do the same with Gears 2.

Nintendo are making it easier for me to miss games first time around - especially with the introduction of the re-release range of GameCube games on the Wii. I've already got Pikmin and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat but there may be one or two titles I can pick up that I missed first time around on the 'Cube.

I'm finding it harder now to get excited about games at launch and instead am buying twice as many games now than I did befor e yet with no extra cost to myself...just a bit later than release.

I can't justify buying every game I want at launch now. (maybe its an age thing...not growing out of games...just seeing the purchase of games under a different light...)
Fri 03/10/08 at 22:11
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
There are simply too many games that I want to play to buy them all on release date, October 24th in particular is going to be a killer. I've only just got around to ordering Assassin's Creed (cheers for encouraging me to shop around finally).

It has been literally years since gamers have had it so good and I'm at the stage now where I know for sure that a human lifetime isn't long enough to squeeze in all the gaming I want to do.

On the one hand that's a depressing thought, on the other it means I have to start getting really selective about which titles I buy. I'm still deciding whether or not to focus simply on a handful of games (I like my mmorpgs) or spread my time about by dabbling here and there in lots of them.

The online component is becoming very important and I'm sure publishers are aware of this, which is why there are very few offline only games out there on my 'to get' list.

What's even more depressing is that this is just the XBox 360 and World of Warcraft on the PC. I've got a PS2 sitting here with some fantastic titles that I've yet to get into/finish (Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean 3, Dragon Quest VIII, FFXII), Sony is gradually building up a nice little pile of attractive PS3 exclusives and I haven't played a Nintendo game since the SNES. Not to mention the 160 Dreamcast games I've got stashed away in a couple of drawers 'for a rainy day'.

When I die I don't want to go to heaven, I want to get reincarnated as a basement dweller with a 50" plasma and a pumping Dolby surround system so I can carry on where I left off.

Please God hear my prayer. (Knowing my luck I'll come back as Jack Thompson).
Fri 03/10/08 at 20:30
"possibly impossible"
You have a good point about online, though if a game is good it will still have plenty of online players. The biggest problem, as I found out with Turok, is that it gives people online time to really get good at a game!

But, yes, it does make sense which is why it's odd that many people, myself included, still get games at launch.
Fri 03/10/08 at 16:34
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
> The reason I’m questioning this is, I guess, due to my own
> finances. With a family to support it gets harder to justify
> spending money on games.

Everybody needs downtime and distractions though. If you're not a happy person then its harder to support your family isnt it. If you get some of that through getting the latest games then I think its justifiable to some degree.

Personally, I've always worked on a fixed budget, its made me more inclined to be prepared to wait for games. Being able to buy 1 game now or 2 games later for the same price is a powerful argument. I'm still buying some of last christmas' releases but I'm paying a third of the price for them sometimes.

For instance, I didnt get COD4 until april as it stayed full price for such a long time. In the end, I paid £12 though which meant I could afford something else too. Then again I have practically no interest in playing online. So getting a game 6 months later when online playing might have dropped alot doesnt effect me.

I still buy games on release date sometimes though, but gone are the days of every Oct-Dec ending up spending hundreds on new releases.
Fri 03/10/08 at 15:52
"possibly impossible"
Every time a big game is released it's always the same; a host of people get really excited on gaming forums everywhere and clamour to pre-order. Pre-ordering is obviously useful if you want to guarantee a game when it's released, but do you really need to get a game on it's release date?

In this current climate of rising prices and cost of living, saving money is important. With most games costing £40 a shot, it would make sense to wait a while for a game to come down in price.

I’m as guilty as anyone else of getting excited about going to a shop to get a game at launch, but I can’t really explain why in a logical sense. Yes, it’s a thrill to play it before the masses and chat about it as a hot topic on gaming forums, but does that justify a £10 difference in getting it now or waiting a while?

The reason I’m questioning this is, I guess, due to my own finances. With a family to support it gets harder to justify spending money on games. I’ve already used trade-ins and had to part with titles I haven’t finished but probably wouldn’t play for a while. But even this has been in aid of buying another game at release, Little Big Planet in this case. Thinking about it, there is no real reason to get it now, other than the fact that I’ve seen it and I want it as soon as possible. Waiting a few weeks or even a month or two wouldn’t kill me.

Looking at my games collection, I wonder how many more games I’d have now if I waited to get them instead of getting new versions on release. But I know that when the next big game comes around (Saints Row 2 perhaps?) I’ll be down to trade in some more games for it or find some cash from somewhere. Maybe it’s an addiction we suffer from, but I don’t think I’m alone!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.