GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The new DSi"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/10/08 at 11:15
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
Rumours are made into facts, as Nintendo's new DS model has been unveiled today at their Press Conference in Tokyo.

Whilst being ever so slightly bigger in size than the DS lite and unfortunately losing its Gameboy Advance slot, it now features a camera, an SD slot, and small increase in screen size.

The DSi will also feature internet browser software.

Additionally, Wii points will also be changed to Nintendo points, and will be available to DS users, who will be able to download titles.

Here are the released specs: (shamelessly taken from Kotaku)

• Size of Liquid Crystal Display
Nintendo DSi: 3.25 inches
Nintendo DS Lite: 3 inches

• Liquid Crystal Screen
Nintendo DSi: Possible to display 260,000 colors
Nintendo DS Lite: Possible to display 260,000 colors

• Portable Size
Nintendo DSi: Width 137mm, Length 74.9mm, Thickness 18.9mm (touch pen is approx. 92mm in length)
Nintendo DS Lite: Width 133mm, Length 73.9mm, Thickness 21.5mm (touch pen is approx. 87.5mm in length)

• Power Supply
Nintendo DSi: AC adaptor for Nintendo DSi
Nintendo DS Lite: AC adaptor for DS Lite

• Weight
Nintendo DSi: Approx. 214g (with touch pen)
Nintendo DS Lite: Approx. 218g (with touch pen, Game Boy Advance cover)

• Charging Time
Nintendo DSi: Approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes
Nintendo DS Lite: Approx. 3 hours

• Battery Life
Nintendo DSi: The lowest brightness (9-14 hrs), low brightness (8-12 hours), medium brightness (6-9 hours), high brightness (4-6 hours), highest brightness(3-4 hours)
Nintendo DS Lite: The lowest brightness (15-19 hrs), low brightness (10-15 hours), high brightness (7-11 hours), highest brightness(5-8 hours)

• Software
Nintendo DSi: Software for Nintendo DS, Software for Nintendo DSi.
Nintendo DS Lite: Software for Nintendo DS, Software for Game Boy Advance

• Input-Output
Nintendo DSi: DS card slot, SD memory card slot, AC adaptor connection, stereo headphone/mic jack
Nintendo DS Lite: DS card slot, Game Boy Advance cartridge slot, AC adaptor connection, stereo headphone/mic jack

Anyone gots thoughts about this? The SD card slots sounds rather handy - not only saving photos, but also storing homebrew stuff. Hopefully we can transfer all the games we download off the Wii Shop and play them on the move. Apart from that, I am kind of indifferent to it. If my fat DS dies, I will pick one up, but for the moment, I'm not really fussed.
Tue 07/10/08 at 21:13
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
Edgy wrote:
> What I do find odd is that I read the camera is only a 0.3mp
> camera. That's a bit pants.

Yup, especially as most camera phones are now better quality.
Tue 07/10/08 at 20:45
Regular
Original DSs should be cheap now on Ebay and the likes, and DS Lites are likely to drop in price.

So for the add-on 'gimmicks' there's no real loss. Plus, if you wanted them, you've most likely got them now anyway.

What I do find odd is that I read the camera is only a 0.3mp camera. That's a bit pants.
Tue 07/10/08 at 08:15
Regular
"THFC"
the GBA slot does not bother me to be honest, but i have my bulky original DS with the R4 card and it cost me about £50 in total so im very happy with just keeping that lol
Tue 07/10/08 at 08:09
Regular
"eat toast!"
does anyone apart from me think that the idea of region locking the dsi was a very, very bad idea? also losing the gba slot so games like guitar hero and that health fitness game won't work on the new ds?

generally i feel the add ons are a bit of a gimmick and not worth my money.
Sun 05/10/08 at 21:22
Regular
JBrandy wrote:
the DSi could include virtual console or
> something very similar in order to download GBA games. Also with
> the SD slot perhaps games could be saved to the SD card via the
> Wii and be put into DSi. We will have to see won't we.

Good point. Didn't realise it had an SD slot, that makes it far far more tempting.
Sun 05/10/08 at 21:10
Regular
It's an upgrade...though an upgrade that (assumingly) doubles as a digital camera, web browser and allows for better online functionality...as well as DS-ware games.

It's a functional upgrade but if you're not interested in the new features and are more interested in the games, then you wont be missing much by getting (or sticking with) the DS Lite...or atleast that's my understanding.
Sun 05/10/08 at 16:39
Regular
This new DSi sounds pretty good. The features it comes with means that it can step up to the PSP now. It's a shame about that GBA Slot but with an SD slot, Web and these Nintendo points surely this means that the DSi could include virtual console or something very similar in order to download GBA games. Also with the SD slot perhaps games could be saved to the SD card via the Wii and be put into DSi. We will have to see won't we.

Can I ask though is this new DSi the next console for Nintendo's handheld gaming systems or is it just a upgrade of the DS Lite? Just like the PSP getting another upgrade called the PSP-3000 where it is basically a Slim & Lite but now with an in bulit microphone and a better screen.
Sat 04/10/08 at 14:16
Regular
Seems logical to me to do away with the GBA slot - though it renders my DS rumble pak useless (though as far as I'm aware only works with Star Trek Starfleet Command (ok, it's Tactical Assault but its a direct copy of the old PC games) and Metroid Prime Pinball...

...Replacing it with the SD slot sounds even better if it means I can use it to play more games on the go...maybe we'll see some cheap original Game Boy re-releases like Link's Awakening...

I was tempted to get a DS lite as my original DS is looking older than me...but seeing as my DS still works fine I'll hold out for a DSi
Thu 02/10/08 at 19:25
Regular
Sounds poor, I still want to use my M3 and GBA expansion so no thanks.
Thu 02/10/08 at 16:05
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I think the simple fact that it's going to launch at around £100 in Japan will make it a force to be reckoned with. I think that's incredibly cheap for what the DSi is capable of, especially when you consider that's the current price of a DS in the UK.

Nintendo can't seem to put a foot wrong at the moment.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.