GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"what does the average person need a 2.8GHz CPU for"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/11/02 at 19:44
Regular
i know someone who is going to get a pc for everyday use, the internet, the odd game and typing, the graphics card is a ti4200 so theres no need for such a fast cpu, what is the point of this, u can barely tell the difference between a 2.0 and a 2.8 anyway
Thu 28/11/02 at 23:40
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
What you all need is a 233Mhz Cyrix MII running on a 14" moniter, 2gig hdd, 64 ram (Upgraded from 32) and a 16mb Voodoo32000 PCI (Upgraded from 4mb shared. heh)

Actually you dont..
Tue 26/11/02 at 18:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Miserableman wrote:
> The moral of the story is that Windows runs equally quickly on
> anything above 800Mhz, unless you're going to get het up about 100ths
> of a second delays.

Photoshop, Fireworks, GIMP, 3DSMax, Lightwave, SETI, UT2K3, etc etc tec...

Put it like this; I click on WordXP and it launches before I can move my mouse to where it should be. If I log off and log on again later, I'm back at my desktop including all my startup programs in less than a second.

I like these things.
Tue 26/11/02 at 18:00
Regular
yes but who buys a computer for just running windows ?

c.b.
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:37
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I just upgraded from an Athlon 1Ghz to an Athlon XP 1800, with some very expensive RAM I was hoping would make my system faster. It is precisely 0% faster running Windows, and is only noticeable when you switch to Linux (which goes from being slightly sluggish to acceptably rapid) or run some high end games, which are sitting more on the back of my new Radeon 8500 anyway.

The moral of the story is that Windows runs equally quickly on anything above 800Mhz, unless you're going to get het up about 100ths of a second delays.
Wed 20/11/02 at 01:54
unknown kernel wrote:
> The Master wrote:
> if you don't need that much power you'd buy a lower spec like DUH!
>
> Do you work for PC World?

no i don't although i did apply once.

and if i did have 'PC world' style training i'd of said.

PC world guy:Hello sir can i help you?

mug: yes i'd like a computer, don't want anything flash just want to send e-mails surf web that kinda thing.

PC world guy: well your gonna need at leats 2.8Ghz to handle that!
Tue 19/11/02 at 07:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I have an XP2000+ running at 1.85ghz (stock is 1.66ghz), and it's still not fast enough. I want one of the spangly .13 micron Thoroughbred Bs..
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:45
Regular
Hmmmm, Doom 3? :) Or ut2k3 in fact. Just a shame my 1.5ghz p4 is being wasted with this gf2, could really do with getting a gf4ti4200 and OC'ing it.
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:42
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
forgot to mention the guy that has now *bought* this machine for £1400 doesn't even know to change the resolution, detail settings etc. in games
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:41
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I have an XP1700+ and it meets my needs perfectly

ie. games, the internet and some video/image editing
Mon 18/11/02 at 11:03
Regular
"relocated"
The Master wrote:
> if you don't need that much power you'd buy a lower spec like DUH!

Do you work for PC World?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.