GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Time Machine"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/11/02 at 12:50
Regular
Time For A Change

It’s 2:37 am; lights are out across the city of Crirety. Not a creature is stirring, except five scientists working on a top-secret invention, which only they know about.
Deep in a top-secret lab in the centre of the city, the whirring of this machine is the only sound to be heard. The prototype machine is being tested and they don’t want to miss a thing. They’ve sent their first live subject and now that it is gone they are awaiting its return. The machine begins to tick and it starts counting down - 10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1… the machine begins to whirr faster and louder. Many bright lights are emitted, beeping sounds start and suddenly it stops. The scientists are dismal; their subject hasn’t returned. They turn away and head towards the seats to sit down and talk about it.
Just as they sit down a huge bang is heard from the time machine and smoke starts rising from the bottom. They look over and hear a small noise. Suddenly their pet hamster Hammy, runs out. Success! The scientists have succeeded! They can’t believe their eyes. It has actually worked! They have created what had only been a dream to man before… a time machine.
The scientists are laughing and cheering at their new invention and don’t notice what is happening with the time machine; the bang in which Hammy had returned with had started a fire. The chips were being burnt and it wasn’t until they could smell something burning that they noticed it was on fire. They quickly put out the fire with the Carbon Dioxide fire extinguisher. They looked inside – the whole thing was burnt inside. It would take weeks to repair and they would have to modify the designs for it so that it wouldn’t happen again. Their ecstasy changed to disappointment.
Three weeks later they are sitting around the time machine again, the experiment underway. They’re once again awaiting the return of Hammy. The only sound is that of the rain outside. The fast whirring starts again, then the countdown –10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1… The whirring stops. The scientists await the bang. Suddenly a huge white light illuminates the whole room and Hammy is left sitting there in front of them. They check that no fire has started. The experiment is a success; the scientists are filled with joy. They sit down and discuss sending a human subject, but no one wants to talk about it – they just want to go out for a drink or two. Gordon Cageman – the scientist in charge of the experiment, decides that they will talk about it tomorrow. Right now they should celebrate their success. They changed into casual clothes and made their way to the pub.
A few hours later Gordon emerges from the pub quite drunk and heads towards his car. He gets in, starts the car and begins driving home. Ten minutes later he was driving down a dark country road. It was soaked from the rain, and visibility was extremely low, he could hardly see the road in front of him. He suspected nothing, when suddenly he spotted a human silhouette, on the road. He slammed on the brakes but due to the heavy rain, he just skidded along, unable to stop. He slammed straight into the person killing them instantly. He bounced onto the bonnet of the car, then the roof and Gordon saw the shadow fall down behind him. The car stopped about fifty metres down the road and as soon as it was still, he jumped out and ran towards the felled victim trying to keep his feet dry on the way. He checked for a pulse. There was none. The person was definitely dead. Gordon trudged back to his car. What was he going to do? He had killed someone while speeding and drink driving. He would get jailed and fined for the crimes of drink driving and manslaughter. Also, he wouldn’t get any of the fame and fortune of inventing the time machine – even though he was in charge of the whole issue.
He sat back in his car and hit his head off of the steering wheel a few times. He wished he could go back in time and fix things. He sat there for a few seconds and then he realised – he could go back in time. He started the car again, turned round, and made his way back to the lab. He arrived fifteen minutes later. Now he could find out if the time machine could transport humans safely. If it did, not only would it be a breakthrough in scientific technology, but it would also save his future. He checked the time – 3:12 am – OK he would set the time machine for 2:45 – about ten minutes before the accident. He pushed the start button, jumped in and closed the solid glass door to the time machine. He heard the whirring, and then he closed his eyes, crossed his fingers and hoped for the best. A bright flash illuminated his eyes even though they are closed. He hears the familiar sound of a car engine; he opened up his eyes and checked his clock – 2:45. YES!! He thought to himself – it worked! He lowered his speed and kept his eyes peeled. Once again he saw the human silhouette and he braked but this time he stopped soon enough. “YES YES YES “ he thought to himself it had worked.J Suddenly, there was another bright flash and Gordon dropped down asleep.
He woke up and when his eyes finally focused he was in a dark room with only one small light keeping it from pitch darkness. He began to get up when he heard a voice “Ah you’re finally awake.” Gordon jerked up and replied, “Where am I? And who are you?”
“I’m Max Forbes and we’re in the middle of the city of Crirety.” the voice replied.
“How did I get here?” Gordon asked.
“I found you outside in the desert when I was looking for some food,” he replied, “ You shouldn’t be sleeping outside Y’know.”
“Why not?” Gordon asked.
“What do you mean why not?” he replied, “Where have you been for the last 15 years?”
“I don’t know. What’s the date?” Gordon asked.
“I don’t know,” he repeated mockingly, “Anyway the date is Thursday 5th May 2027”
“2027!!” Gordon exclaimed. “It’s been 25 years,” he thought to himself. “This must be what the world would be like 25 years after I changed time.”
“Anyway” Gordon said, “ Why shouldn’t I be outside?” he asked.
“Sit down and I’ll tell you about it.” He replied.
“20 years ago I was working with a powerful weapon, powered using anti-matter. But the experiment backfired and it created exact replicas of images captured by the computers memory. Unfortunately, it shined on a maniacs head and released images of Robots, Chelumba’s and Moomba’s. Since these animals and machines were so powerful their battle for supremacy left us at the bottom of the food chain.”
“So,” Gordon said, “Where are all the people, hiding or what?”
“Actually, unfortunately in 2014, everyone got tired of running and hiding, so a global war was started against the ‘Intruders’. Millions of people took part in each battle but what we hadn’t counted on the fact that the Moomba’s and Chelumba’s had reproduced in huge numbers and the machines built more of themselves especially for this war. Over a million battles took place across the planet, all of them failing miserably. I was lucky enough to have survived but only a few million people were left across the globe. Most of them have probably been killed. Anyway, what’s your story, do you have amnesia and don’t remember anything, or do you have a different story?”
“I’m not really sure.” Gordon replied, “All I know, is that 25 years ago, my colleagues and I built a time machine and after celebrating that we had succeeded with our fist live subject, I was driving home and I killed somebody when I knocked them over. So I went back to the lab, went back in time and stopped before I knocked over the person. The next thing I knew I was here. This must be the what happened to the world because I changed time.”
“Wait a second, you built a time machine?”
“Yes, right here in Crirety”
“Then it could still be operational?”
“ If it hasn’t been damaged”
“ Then I want you to go back in time and kill me”
“WHAT!! Why should I kill you?”
“Because it’s my fault the world is like this. I created the anti-matter machine.”
“OK, but I don’t even know what you look like.”
“I look the same as I do now”
“But I can’t see you”
“I feared that. I’ll have to turn on the power to full so that the light shines brighter but the robots will be alerted and will send a Chelumba or a Moomba to hunt us down so you’ll have to run.”
“OK but what street are we on? I need to know where to go.”
“You’re on Main Street”
“Thanks, I’m ready when you are.”
“OK hide at the side of the door so that when they come in they won’t see you, then you run.”
“OK I’ll be ready”
“Now get a visual picture of me, and when I turn on the power be ready to go. I’m turning on the power in 3…2…1… and it’s on.”
Gordon memorised his face, and thought it looked very familiar. He was thinking of whom it could be when the door burst open and a Chelumba leaped in. Gordon jumped out of the door, turned left and started running. He looked at the state of the street around him, charred cars, with skeletons inside them, shrapnel and bones scattered across the street. “What a mess.” Thought Gordon, “And I’m supposed to stop it!” The lab wasn’t that far away; a two-minute run and he’d be there. He heard the screams of Max as the Chelumba ripped him apart. Soon it’d be after him. He’d have to hurry; he knew how fast a Chelumba could run.
He made it to the lab and checked the date on the time machine. It was at the time he had left it. He pushed the start button and jumped in. He closed the solid glass door and hoped he would make it. The machine started whirring and the Xenomorph burst into the lab. It started scratching at the glass door trying to get in. The room was illuminated and Gordon found himself back in his car. It was 2:45 on Friday the 12th of June 2002. Just before he knocked down the shadow at night. He thought about what Max Forbes had said and then he remembered whom he looked like – the person he had knocked down and killed!
Gordon decided that he would knock him down to save the future, and he probably wouldn’t get caught. He concentrated on the road and when he saw the silhouette he accelerated and killed him on impact. He continued going forward, as he knew that if he stopped, he might be seen, and get would caught. He felt bad but he knew that it had to be done. First thing in the morning he would go to the lab and destroy the time machine. He made his way home and went to bed.
As he went to bed, in the lab, there was a bright light and from the time machine emerged a Chelumba.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 14/11/02 at 12:50
Regular
Time For A Change

It’s 2:37 am; lights are out across the city of Crirety. Not a creature is stirring, except five scientists working on a top-secret invention, which only they know about.
Deep in a top-secret lab in the centre of the city, the whirring of this machine is the only sound to be heard. The prototype machine is being tested and they don’t want to miss a thing. They’ve sent their first live subject and now that it is gone they are awaiting its return. The machine begins to tick and it starts counting down - 10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1… the machine begins to whirr faster and louder. Many bright lights are emitted, beeping sounds start and suddenly it stops. The scientists are dismal; their subject hasn’t returned. They turn away and head towards the seats to sit down and talk about it.
Just as they sit down a huge bang is heard from the time machine and smoke starts rising from the bottom. They look over and hear a small noise. Suddenly their pet hamster Hammy, runs out. Success! The scientists have succeeded! They can’t believe their eyes. It has actually worked! They have created what had only been a dream to man before… a time machine.
The scientists are laughing and cheering at their new invention and don’t notice what is happening with the time machine; the bang in which Hammy had returned with had started a fire. The chips were being burnt and it wasn’t until they could smell something burning that they noticed it was on fire. They quickly put out the fire with the Carbon Dioxide fire extinguisher. They looked inside – the whole thing was burnt inside. It would take weeks to repair and they would have to modify the designs for it so that it wouldn’t happen again. Their ecstasy changed to disappointment.
Three weeks later they are sitting around the time machine again, the experiment underway. They’re once again awaiting the return of Hammy. The only sound is that of the rain outside. The fast whirring starts again, then the countdown –10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1… The whirring stops. The scientists await the bang. Suddenly a huge white light illuminates the whole room and Hammy is left sitting there in front of them. They check that no fire has started. The experiment is a success; the scientists are filled with joy. They sit down and discuss sending a human subject, but no one wants to talk about it – they just want to go out for a drink or two. Gordon Cageman – the scientist in charge of the experiment, decides that they will talk about it tomorrow. Right now they should celebrate their success. They changed into casual clothes and made their way to the pub.
A few hours later Gordon emerges from the pub quite drunk and heads towards his car. He gets in, starts the car and begins driving home. Ten minutes later he was driving down a dark country road. It was soaked from the rain, and visibility was extremely low, he could hardly see the road in front of him. He suspected nothing, when suddenly he spotted a human silhouette, on the road. He slammed on the brakes but due to the heavy rain, he just skidded along, unable to stop. He slammed straight into the person killing them instantly. He bounced onto the bonnet of the car, then the roof and Gordon saw the shadow fall down behind him. The car stopped about fifty metres down the road and as soon as it was still, he jumped out and ran towards the felled victim trying to keep his feet dry on the way. He checked for a pulse. There was none. The person was definitely dead. Gordon trudged back to his car. What was he going to do? He had killed someone while speeding and drink driving. He would get jailed and fined for the crimes of drink driving and manslaughter. Also, he wouldn’t get any of the fame and fortune of inventing the time machine – even though he was in charge of the whole issue.
He sat back in his car and hit his head off of the steering wheel a few times. He wished he could go back in time and fix things. He sat there for a few seconds and then he realised – he could go back in time. He started the car again, turned round, and made his way back to the lab. He arrived fifteen minutes later. Now he could find out if the time machine could transport humans safely. If it did, not only would it be a breakthrough in scientific technology, but it would also save his future. He checked the time – 3:12 am – OK he would set the time machine for 2:45 – about ten minutes before the accident. He pushed the start button, jumped in and closed the solid glass door to the time machine. He heard the whirring, and then he closed his eyes, crossed his fingers and hoped for the best. A bright flash illuminated his eyes even though they are closed. He hears the familiar sound of a car engine; he opened up his eyes and checked his clock – 2:45. YES!! He thought to himself – it worked! He lowered his speed and kept his eyes peeled. Once again he saw the human silhouette and he braked but this time he stopped soon enough. “YES YES YES “ he thought to himself it had worked.J Suddenly, there was another bright flash and Gordon dropped down asleep.
He woke up and when his eyes finally focused he was in a dark room with only one small light keeping it from pitch darkness. He began to get up when he heard a voice “Ah you’re finally awake.” Gordon jerked up and replied, “Where am I? And who are you?”
“I’m Max Forbes and we’re in the middle of the city of Crirety.” the voice replied.
“How did I get here?” Gordon asked.
“I found you outside in the desert when I was looking for some food,” he replied, “ You shouldn’t be sleeping outside Y’know.”
“Why not?” Gordon asked.
“What do you mean why not?” he replied, “Where have you been for the last 15 years?”
“I don’t know. What’s the date?” Gordon asked.
“I don’t know,” he repeated mockingly, “Anyway the date is Thursday 5th May 2027”
“2027!!” Gordon exclaimed. “It’s been 25 years,” he thought to himself. “This must be what the world would be like 25 years after I changed time.”
“Anyway” Gordon said, “ Why shouldn’t I be outside?” he asked.
“Sit down and I’ll tell you about it.” He replied.
“20 years ago I was working with a powerful weapon, powered using anti-matter. But the experiment backfired and it created exact replicas of images captured by the computers memory. Unfortunately, it shined on a maniacs head and released images of Robots, Chelumba’s and Moomba’s. Since these animals and machines were so powerful their battle for supremacy left us at the bottom of the food chain.”
“So,” Gordon said, “Where are all the people, hiding or what?”
“Actually, unfortunately in 2014, everyone got tired of running and hiding, so a global war was started against the ‘Intruders’. Millions of people took part in each battle but what we hadn’t counted on the fact that the Moomba’s and Chelumba’s had reproduced in huge numbers and the machines built more of themselves especially for this war. Over a million battles took place across the planet, all of them failing miserably. I was lucky enough to have survived but only a few million people were left across the globe. Most of them have probably been killed. Anyway, what’s your story, do you have amnesia and don’t remember anything, or do you have a different story?”
“I’m not really sure.” Gordon replied, “All I know, is that 25 years ago, my colleagues and I built a time machine and after celebrating that we had succeeded with our fist live subject, I was driving home and I killed somebody when I knocked them over. So I went back to the lab, went back in time and stopped before I knocked over the person. The next thing I knew I was here. This must be the what happened to the world because I changed time.”
“Wait a second, you built a time machine?”
“Yes, right here in Crirety”
“Then it could still be operational?”
“ If it hasn’t been damaged”
“ Then I want you to go back in time and kill me”
“WHAT!! Why should I kill you?”
“Because it’s my fault the world is like this. I created the anti-matter machine.”
“OK, but I don’t even know what you look like.”
“I look the same as I do now”
“But I can’t see you”
“I feared that. I’ll have to turn on the power to full so that the light shines brighter but the robots will be alerted and will send a Chelumba or a Moomba to hunt us down so you’ll have to run.”
“OK but what street are we on? I need to know where to go.”
“You’re on Main Street”
“Thanks, I’m ready when you are.”
“OK hide at the side of the door so that when they come in they won’t see you, then you run.”
“OK I’ll be ready”
“Now get a visual picture of me, and when I turn on the power be ready to go. I’m turning on the power in 3…2…1… and it’s on.”
Gordon memorised his face, and thought it looked very familiar. He was thinking of whom it could be when the door burst open and a Chelumba leaped in. Gordon jumped out of the door, turned left and started running. He looked at the state of the street around him, charred cars, with skeletons inside them, shrapnel and bones scattered across the street. “What a mess.” Thought Gordon, “And I’m supposed to stop it!” The lab wasn’t that far away; a two-minute run and he’d be there. He heard the screams of Max as the Chelumba ripped him apart. Soon it’d be after him. He’d have to hurry; he knew how fast a Chelumba could run.
He made it to the lab and checked the date on the time machine. It was at the time he had left it. He pushed the start button and jumped in. He closed the solid glass door and hoped he would make it. The machine started whirring and the Xenomorph burst into the lab. It started scratching at the glass door trying to get in. The room was illuminated and Gordon found himself back in his car. It was 2:45 on Friday the 12th of June 2002. Just before he knocked down the shadow at night. He thought about what Max Forbes had said and then he remembered whom he looked like – the person he had knocked down and killed!
Gordon decided that he would knock him down to save the future, and he probably wouldn’t get caught. He concentrated on the road and when he saw the silhouette he accelerated and killed him on impact. He continued going forward, as he knew that if he stopped, he might be seen, and get would caught. He felt bad but he knew that it had to be done. First thing in the morning he would go to the lab and destroy the time machine. He made his way home and went to bed.
As he went to bed, in the lab, there was a bright light and from the time machine emerged a Chelumba.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.