GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Progress of nations"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/11/02 at 12:18
Regular
Im having to do an assignment on this, and some of the facts are truely frightning e.g.

: 1 in 3 women aged 15 to 24 in Botswana had HIV, and 1 in 7 men.

1 in 3!?!?!? Thats the odds to contract cancer ferchrisake!

As it goes on to say, for a preventable disease the levels should never have been allowed to reach such a catastrophic level throughout the world.

http://www.unicef.org/pon00/leaguetable.htm

But what can the developed world do to help apart from attempted education in the problem?
Tue 12/11/02 at 17:24
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Pandemonium wrote:
> Im having to do an assignment on this, and some of the facts are
> truely frightning e.g.
>
> : 1 in 3 women aged 15 to 24 in Botswana had HIV, and 1 in 7 men.
>
> 1 in 3!?!?!? Thats the odds to contract cancer ferchrisake!
>
> As it goes on to say, for a preventable disease the levels should
> never have been allowed to reach such a catastrophic level throughout
> the world.
>
> http://www.unicef.org/pon00/leaguetable.htm
>
> But what can the developed world do to help apart from attempted
> education in the problem?

I don't know whether this is GCSE, A Level or Uni work so I'll say how I'd go at this;

Look at the legacy of colonialism, development theory in post world war 2, overpopulation, and NGO's. Also probably look at why the AIDS virus has spread - contraception, society, prevention, and the issue of suppling AIDS drugs to Africa - www.nepad.org is one organisation that is talking about this.

Education only goes so far, because our ideas of safe sex e.t.c are seen by many as imposing western values and cultural norms onto other societies- i.e telling them to be civilised and doing things like us - this problem is probably the heart of the AIDS problem. Then you've got the drugs thing. The best drugs are American and European, but these companies will only sell the end product to African nations and not the license to make the drugs, which would make them cheaper for Africa.

Problem is that, if Africa were not in the state it is with AIDS then there'd be no reason to let them have drug licences - which have cost companies billions an years of research - for what would be basically peanuts. But because of the problem, Western companies are made to appear the bad guys in the situation because they want to sell the drugs, and not the licenses. The issue of AIDS drugs is often wrapped up in other development initiatives - see the World Bank and IMF websites.

It's a really big topic to cover in any topic, and to do it well you're probably going to need details which cover both sides of an argument, Unless you have a really strong one sided argument that can be backed up with examples, references e.t.c.

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 12/11/02 at 12:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Im having to do an assignment on this, and some of the facts are truely frightning e.g.

: 1 in 3 women aged 15 to 24 in Botswana had HIV, and 1 in 7 men.

1 in 3!?!?!? Thats the odds to contract cancer ferchrisake!

As it goes on to say, for a preventable disease the levels should never have been allowed to reach such a catastrophic level throughout the world.

http://www.unicef.org/pon00/leaguetable.htm

But what can the developed world do to help apart from attempted education in the problem?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.