GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shatner turns down space voyage"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/09/06 at 09:19
Regular
"black + blue"
Star Trek legend William Shatner has turned down Richard Branson's offer of a free trip into space, on board Virgin Galactic's first passenger flight in 2008. As Captain Kirk, he was fearless in his quest to experiment with hitherto undiscovered forms of lycra, seduce strange alien-woman-things and wrestle in the dirt with their (understandably annoyed) strange alien-man-thing husbands. Despite the fact that he would be approaching 80 years of age by 2008, and is in fact an actor and not a real astronaut, it's hard not to be disappointed really. Especially since poor old Scotty never made it to space in time, and will have to be fired up there posthumously. Shatner ought to know when he's lucky.

Shatner stated “I'm interested in man's march into the unknown but to vomit in space is not my idea of a good time. Neither is a fiery crash with the vomit hovering over me.” It's a good point, nobody wants to find themselves in an intergalactic-fiery-vomit situation, but given that he has never been averse to humiliating himself in novel ways, it is a little disappointing to learn that we won't get to see him humiliate himself in space. Can the man who recently sold his kidney stone for $25,000 for charity really understand the meaning of shame?

When asked about technology, Shatner has been quoted as saying “I love technology. Matches, to light a fire is really high tech. The wheel is REALLY one of the great inventions of all time. Other than that I am ignoramus about technology.” He went on to describe the hilarious time he had trying to switch a computer on.

About visiting space, he said “I do want to go up but I need guarantees I'll definitely come back.” He is right to worry, if it's going to cost £114,000 getting him up there, there's a lot of people who would want to be pretty sure he stays there. Richard Branson is a powerful man, I'm sure he could manage it.

What really makes no sense is that he has been given the choice. If there was any justice in the world, a bunch of Branson's heavies would just grab him, roll him up, stuff him into the pod and launch him before he had time to think about it. This is the man who subjected us to his weird speaky-singing version of Elton John's Rocket Man. Tell me he doesn't deserve it.
Mon 20/11/06 at 15:34
Regular
"8==="
They should get the captain from DS9 to do it, he'd mention god in about 3 seconds.
Mon 20/11/06 at 15:30
Regular
"Brucie Bonus"
What a tart to turn down an opportunity like that.

Someone ring up Patrick Stewart...
Sat 23/09/06 at 15:41
Regular
Hilton's a weirdo.

She's not that pretty, but everyone loves her.
She's not that banal, but everyone hates her.
Fri 22/09/06 at 20:38
Regular
Apparently Whorris Hilton is going too. I mean who makes the guest lists to these events?
Fri 22/09/06 at 20:02
Regular
Haha, excellent
Thu 21/09/06 at 15:28
Regular
Aye but he cheers me up with those cereal adverts ... you've got to admire a man who can take the mick out of himself like he does ...

I never really watched the original star trek series, only the films ... I mainly relate him to TJ Hooker :P
Thu 21/09/06 at 09:19
Regular
"black + blue"
Star Trek legend William Shatner has turned down Richard Branson's offer of a free trip into space, on board Virgin Galactic's first passenger flight in 2008. As Captain Kirk, he was fearless in his quest to experiment with hitherto undiscovered forms of lycra, seduce strange alien-woman-things and wrestle in the dirt with their (understandably annoyed) strange alien-man-thing husbands. Despite the fact that he would be approaching 80 years of age by 2008, and is in fact an actor and not a real astronaut, it's hard not to be disappointed really. Especially since poor old Scotty never made it to space in time, and will have to be fired up there posthumously. Shatner ought to know when he's lucky.

Shatner stated “I'm interested in man's march into the unknown but to vomit in space is not my idea of a good time. Neither is a fiery crash with the vomit hovering over me.” It's a good point, nobody wants to find themselves in an intergalactic-fiery-vomit situation, but given that he has never been averse to humiliating himself in novel ways, it is a little disappointing to learn that we won't get to see him humiliate himself in space. Can the man who recently sold his kidney stone for $25,000 for charity really understand the meaning of shame?

When asked about technology, Shatner has been quoted as saying “I love technology. Matches, to light a fire is really high tech. The wheel is REALLY one of the great inventions of all time. Other than that I am ignoramus about technology.” He went on to describe the hilarious time he had trying to switch a computer on.

About visiting space, he said “I do want to go up but I need guarantees I'll definitely come back.” He is right to worry, if it's going to cost £114,000 getting him up there, there's a lot of people who would want to be pretty sure he stays there. Richard Branson is a powerful man, I'm sure he could manage it.

What really makes no sense is that he has been given the choice. If there was any justice in the world, a bunch of Branson's heavies would just grab him, roll him up, stuff him into the pod and launch him before he had time to think about it. This is the man who subjected us to his weird speaky-singing version of Elton John's Rocket Man. Tell me he doesn't deserve it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.