GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA competitor!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/11/02 at 21:25
Regular
Sega and Nokia have teamed up to create the N-Gage - a mobile phone style of thing where you insert games into the back rather than download them. Nice. Looks like a cross between the GBA and that weird looking sideways Nokia phone. Anyhoo, just thought I'd post it. If it's already been mentioned then sorry, but I had a good look and I couldn't anything on it.
Thu 07/11/02 at 17:24
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
to be honest, i can only see this mobile phone gaming majiggerie as a lus, it will get the more mainstream crowd into gaming, so more effort will be spent into making games, and there will be more of them on a higher budget if there is a bigger market for games, nokia might pll this off with the help of gaming gods sega, heres to hoping
Thu 07/11/02 at 15:46
Regular
I won't get one because I loathe mobile phones.
Thu 07/11/02 at 13:09
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
Alcofrolic wrote:
> fair point
>
> i liked the Lynx aswell!
>
> but the GP32 does look good!
> what happened to the Playstation handheld?
> anyone else hear rumours of that a while back?
>
> and, soz, i havent seen the adverts, ill keep my eye out though.
> i just thought the pic i was sent looked really dodgy!
> lol

Yes the portable PS ('Pocketstation'), did come out if my memory serves me right...... but only in japan:( ,wouldv'e been great even though I've got/had an N64 - Final Fantasy VII on the move!
:)- No pocketstation :(
Wed 06/11/02 at 22:23
Regular
thats true,

the reasons i wouldnt say failure are mainly due to the fact that nowadays any new gadget will sell well!
we are becoming a country of gizmo lovers1
lol
and i dont mean the cute gremlin!

we will have to wait and see obviously, but my money is on it staying around for a while!
Wed 06/11/02 at 18:17
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
You wouldn't say failure? How the hell do you know? I was speculating, in case you didn't get it.

Also, the phones that have games as one of the major selling points don't actually have seperate game cartridges like the N-Gage does.
Tue 05/11/02 at 23:08
Regular
i wouldnt say failure

a lot of phones are now being sold with games as one of the top selling points!

i have a 7210 and have got loads of games, including Doom and Streetfighter 2 for it.
they are only java applets (or midlets as they are now known) but still look quality

if it is released at teh right itme and with the correct features, unlike most nokia phones so far, then it should do well

i, for one will get it cos i am sad like that!
i have had every phoine nokia have ever released, im a bit of a phone freak and i unlock them aswell (soz, hint hint)
Tue 05/11/02 at 22:20
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I know it's not really a GBA competitor, but I had to put something that would make people check the topic out. Normally no one replies at all. And who knows what the future might hold for this lil' gizmo?

Okay, we all do......failure........
Tue 05/11/02 at 21:56
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
It's not fake and neither is it in anyway designed as a competitor to the GBA or any other handheld console. I don't think there are pictures available of a 'real' model yet but here's the press release from Nokia themselves.

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200211/880103_5.html

Almost all Nokia colour phones unveiled recently have a 128x128 pixel 4096 colour screen and can run J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition) applications. All compatible phones will be able to run the same applications, Nokia or otherwise, with minor differences to cater for differet screen sizes and colour depths. The N-Gage has the same screen as their normal phones but has been designed to make playing the games on it more like a console.

It's nothing to do with the awful Motorola T720 (or whatever) that is currently invading the advert breaks in Return of the Jedi.
Tue 05/11/02 at 21:47
Regular
The Wonderswan sells more in Japan than the Xbox does.
Tue 05/11/02 at 21:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
And they all needed replacing after about 2 hours.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.