GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 is da bomb... And NOT in a good way..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/12/00 at 23:20
Regular
As an often ridiculed and belittled fan of Sega and all their trimmings, it would be safe to state that I for one have awaited the european launch of the PS2 for quite some time, and with a fair bit of fear for Sega's future involvement in the gaming industry.

But now, just a few days after the release, my worst fears have been laid to rest. The PS2 has not been the unrivalled succes to end all. This small country of Denmark, from which I proudly hail, has been graced by as much as 7.000 machines by those corporate ninnies at SCEE. But though this does not seem like nearly enough, it's as a matter of fact almost too many. At a danish retail price of nearly £400, it's not even a consideration for most of the danish gaming community.

Okay, so it's a great machine, with somewhat superiour graphics, sound and peripherals, but what's with that DVD? I work a one of the latest retail electronics outlets in Denmark and have seen a steady decrease in the popularity of the machine. We've recieved 250 machines and it took us 10 days to sell them all. In comparison we've sold 363 DVD players ranging from £250 to @900 in that same period and 299 PSOne's at about £100 a piece. Sure, they sell, but it's not a landslide. It's more like the U.S. Presidential Elections.

Gameswise the machine has yet to be a succes as well. With plenty of titles available [but not all] like Ridge Racer, Tekken Tag, Ready To Rumble 2, Dead Or Alive 2, Smugglers Run(!) and a whole host of others, we've seen a sale of games amounting to 0,8 per machine. People are actually mostly using their old games. And at £44.50 a pop, who could afford these games? The machine is expensive enough as it is.

To finish off this flurry of PS2-bashing I'd just like to say that we've had to take 5 machines back for repairs already. That's 2% of the machines that are faulty at birth. We've yet to reach 1% of the PSOne's...

So in closing, It is my firm belief that the PS2 could be great, but isn't... And will never be...
Tue 05/12/00 at 10:53
The Playstation 2, is not a great machine yet and there are problems with it 2% not working but then the first batch of machines always play up a little. On the plus side though the first batch of machines are always world freindly...the first batch of PS1s in britain played games from other countries...my freind Liams played US games with a simple swap trick.
The first machines also have phono and video outs, something the PS2 has, which means you can connect your DVDplayer (PS2) to any other device and get DVD quality input (good for copying DVDs to VHS or soon DVD to DVD)...aparently Sonys in a bit of trouble for this. But if they do remove this copying freindly device from PS2s, fear not the adapter from PS1 lightguns that give Video and Phono outputs will no doubt do the same job...I predict good sales therefore of Playstation2s the Copying frendly machine. Plus the Jap PS2 were apparently multiregion for DVDs, does anyone know if the same is true for the first batch of UK playstation2s......if it is Ill get one tommorow, I wouldnt mind getting a few US DVDs for Christmas.
Mon 04/12/00 at 23:48
Some of the first Dreamcasts malfunctioned too (mine included). It always happens at the beginning. And quite frankly, I'm not surprised the PSOne is so durable - look at the price tag and then think about what's actually inside it.
Mon 04/12/00 at 23:31
"High polygon count"
All fair points. There have been problem machines, and we all know that with the shortages, SOny could really have done without that.

But there were also problems with the original PlayStation units.

What always seems to get lost in these discussions is that, for every duff machine, there are a large number of problem-free units, and that really needs to be kept in mind.
Mon 04/12/00 at 23:20
As an often ridiculed and belittled fan of Sega and all their trimmings, it would be safe to state that I for one have awaited the european launch of the PS2 for quite some time, and with a fair bit of fear for Sega's future involvement in the gaming industry.

But now, just a few days after the release, my worst fears have been laid to rest. The PS2 has not been the unrivalled succes to end all. This small country of Denmark, from which I proudly hail, has been graced by as much as 7.000 machines by those corporate ninnies at SCEE. But though this does not seem like nearly enough, it's as a matter of fact almost too many. At a danish retail price of nearly £400, it's not even a consideration for most of the danish gaming community.

Okay, so it's a great machine, with somewhat superiour graphics, sound and peripherals, but what's with that DVD? I work a one of the latest retail electronics outlets in Denmark and have seen a steady decrease in the popularity of the machine. We've recieved 250 machines and it took us 10 days to sell them all. In comparison we've sold 363 DVD players ranging from £250 to @900 in that same period and 299 PSOne's at about £100 a piece. Sure, they sell, but it's not a landslide. It's more like the U.S. Presidential Elections.

Gameswise the machine has yet to be a succes as well. With plenty of titles available [but not all] like Ridge Racer, Tekken Tag, Ready To Rumble 2, Dead Or Alive 2, Smugglers Run(!) and a whole host of others, we've seen a sale of games amounting to 0,8 per machine. People are actually mostly using their old games. And at £44.50 a pop, who could afford these games? The machine is expensive enough as it is.

To finish off this flurry of PS2-bashing I'd just like to say that we've had to take 5 machines back for repairs already. That's 2% of the machines that are faulty at birth. We've yet to reach 1% of the PSOne's...

So in closing, It is my firm belief that the PS2 could be great, but isn't... And will never be...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.