GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Go and watch Donnie Darko"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/10/02 at 22:49
Regular
Wow.
I just got back from one of the best films I can ever remember seeing.

Explaining the plot is a mistake because it will inevitably sound trite unless you know all of it, in which case I would have spoiled the film. But I'm going to try anyway... Donnie is a mixed up teenager with issues, but not in a nu-metal smash stuff way, rather an intelligent person struggling to understand how the world can be the way it is. His psychological problems even extend to seeing a 6ft rabbit called Frank who tells him that the world is going to come to an end in 28 days, 6 hours, 40 odd minutes and 12 seconds (6ft rabbits are a sign of a great film as anyone who's watched "Sexy Beast" will testify to)

That's as much as I can explain without giving anything away, which is a shame because trying to sum up the plot makes the film sound crap. On seeing the film, however, I fell in love with it from the opening scene, which mirrors the start of Blue Velvet, with Donnie cycling through his blissful suburbia while people go around looking very fake (It's not quite as bad as Lynch's gurning, waving fireman, but it's nearly there) and as this takes place Echo and the Bunnymen's "Under a Killing Moon". This like so many moments in the film is just one little detail that makes the film so good; Bunnymen is an in-joke to anyone who spots that it's Echo and the Bunnymen, the lyrics talk of fate, which is one of the films over-riding themes and the lyrics referring to "Blue Moon" add to the Lynch reference. The choice of music alone is a sign that the film is good, as for once the songs are actually selected to fit both the 1988 setting, and to have some lyrical relevance to the film. It beats Vin Diesel snowboarding to some chugga chugga modish metal band because the studio wants to shift some soundtracks.

Of course some of you might be thinking that I'm reading too much into such a little detail? Well, no actually, the film is littered with tiny little details that seem almost insignificant at the time but are actually very clever and sometimes important. From the Citizen Kane tribute "Rosebud avenue" on which Donnie lives, to the repeated Bunny imagery in odd places. That said, this isn't intended to be an incredibly serious film, among it's numerous film references is one scene in which Donnie goes to watch "the Evil Dead" at the cinema and another which appears to quote the Doc from "Back to the Future". "Donnie Darko" isn't a horror movie but it does stay heavily in the black area of comedy. Most of the laughs are derived from people being incredibly fake, with one Mrs. Farmer heading the posse in her "God is Awesome" t-shirt and her utterance of what the Sight & Sound reviewer called his favourite line of the year: "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparklemotion!" May not be funny now, but when you see it in context it's very funny.

The film also has a damn good script, guaranteed cult success because of the inclusion of a "completely surreal and random bit of dialogue", patented by Kevin Smith who had Dante and Randle discuss the fate of engineers on the Death Star in "Clerks". Donnie's concerns the sexual habits of Smurfs and in particular Papa Smurf, which was very funny.

You probobaly shouldn't go and watch this if you just want a bit of escapism, because it definitely makes you think. But having gone on and on about the lack of good films recently I'm glad to have watched a film that doesn't treat me like an idiot, and with a plot that isn't as unsubtle as a knee to the groin.

I will warn you that the film is not to everyone's tastes. Several people left the cinema where I watched it moaning about not understanding the film. One man even left chat to someone who was presumably his boss on his mobile, despite a closing song with the hopelessly appropriate lyrics:

"All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere...
... When people run in circles
It's a very, very
Mad World"

It made me think.
It made me incredibly jealous of the first-time writer-director.
It made me feel something.

Go and see "Donnie Darko" because it's the best film I've seen so far this year.
Sun 11/05/03 at 13:21
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
I have seen this film once, I thought it made near perfect sense.
Sat 10/05/03 at 19:44
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Stryke wrote:
> Yeah, he's really moved on from being taught to kick cans by a guy who
> gets killed by Bond a few years later.

Ever since playing Bodhi in Point Break, that man has been a legend. And you can't tell me he wasn't good in Donnie Darko.
Sat 10/05/03 at 17:43
Regular
Nah, just reminded me of Brodies musings on Superman/Lois sex in Mallrats. Dunno why.
Sat 10/05/03 at 17:07
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
Woah just watched it (cheers Doritos and Blockbuster!) and man it was good. I see what you meant towards the end of your original post. I'm left stunned. Kind of confused but extremely impressed and jelous also. Script writing is what I want to do and this film has inspired me so much. The writing, camera work, acting, it's all amazing. I can't remember the last film which affected me like this one, it's just got something that makes it so unique and good.

And damn that Smurfs bit was funny! Did you say that part was done by Kevin Smith or is it just a bit of Smith-esque dialouge?

Wow.
Thu 08/05/03 at 23:07
Regular
Yeah, he's really moved on from being taught to kick cans by a guy who gets killed by Bond a few years later.
Thu 08/05/03 at 19:33
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I saw the film twice at the cinema and loved it both times. I thought I understood all of it when I left the cinema the second time but after careful thought I realised I was still stuck on certain bits.

I don't have the money for the DVD at the moment which sucks. And I need to buy Visions of the Beast on release day. However I'm sure one of my mates will buy the DVD and I can borrow it off them.

It's worth seeing just for Patrick Swayze who rules.
Thu 08/05/03 at 19:02
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Just seen it.

Horribly overrated. As some guy has been saying on the imdb.com boards, the storytelling is barely there at all. It's all well and good saying that there are subtle hints and it's up to interpretation, but there are huge nonsensical holes all over the place.

Thumbs in the middle, leaning down. Some funny bits, but a let down.
Thu 01/05/03 at 07:00
Regular
"cachoo"
I watched this the other day too and I thought it was good. Maybe even brilliant. But I still don't get the ending. There was a point though where I thought I understood, but that soon went.
Shall be getting it though when it comes out to buy. Just so I can try find out what the confusing bit was all about.

I've got a thing about the song at the end now. Really catchy.
Wed 30/04/03 at 20:46
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I really want to see this film now. I've heard it's good but never had a clue what it was about so stayed away. I'll check it out ASAP.
Wed 30/04/03 at 15:40
Regular
"we escape....."
Donnie Darko was a great movie, but the ending wasn't. I think it could've maybe be done a little better. But i'd give it credit for being so weird and thought provoking, and definetly a worth watching cult movie

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.