GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Next Collection Date"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/12/00 at 12:47
Regular
Does anybody have any news on when the netx collection date will be. It p****s me off that not only do I not have the machine, but Sony haven't bothered to let me know anything. No apologies (as if), no "You will still get your PS2 before Xmas", no "You'll get your PS2 before you collect your f*****g pension", nothing.

I really don't believe sony when they say "Your PS2 will be available before Xmas" well they've 3 weeks to the day, they better pull the heads out of their own backsides quickly, or they'll be dealing with a lot of PO'd people.
Tue 05/12/00 at 15:37
Coopster,

I now have reason not to fret. I've been told (by my retailer, NOT by sony) that I can have my PS2 on friday. I was so happy, I almost cried.

Woo Hoo,

I hope everyone that hasn't got their PS2 yet does soon, as only we that have been in the situation know how you feel.
Tue 05/12/00 at 11:32
"High polygon count"
Originally, there were fears about the frame-rate on the PS2 version, as it was very low. But to be fair, that was early in the game's development, and there's a lot they can do to speed things up.

If you're interested in getting the PS2 version of UT, i think it would definitely be advisable to wait for a review and see what they say. might also be worth trying it out before you pay out your £40. This one could definitely go either way - a great game, or a real stinker.
Tue 05/12/00 at 11:26
Cheers. I picked up UT on the PC when it came out a year ago, and I still play it pretty regularly now. I'm trying to work out if it's worth getting Timesplitters. UT's big plus points are 16 player deathmatch, CTF etc., online, or against bots with the best AI I've come across in any game.

Fingers crossed they do a decent conversion to PS2, as it is an (un)real AAA title.
Tue 05/12/00 at 10:28
"High polygon count"
> PS. Anyone got Timesplitters, and Unreal Tournament on the PC? How
> do they compare? How many bots can you have in deathmatch?

I don't have UT on the PC, but the latest issue of PSM2 magazine has an item-by-item comparison of the two, and TimeSplitters wins - 9-7 I think.

I'm sure some will say that PSM2 are biased, but as UT is coming to PS2, I view this as a game vs. game comparison, and not a platform vs. platform comparison.

They compare things like enemy AI, weapons, sounds, deathmatch games etc., and they definitely feel that TimeSplitters is the harder of the two - partially because there's no 'jump' option to easily avoid getting shot!

Of course, any review is subject to the reviewers own preferences, so you may wish to pick up a copy of the magazine, read it for yourself, and decide whether or not the items they compare really matter to you.
Tue 05/12/00 at 10:15
Didn't you know that you get telepathic abilities when you enter the Third Place? ;-)

I pre-ordered my PS2 from an online company (ie. not SR!), and only received an email from them (no letter from Sony) saying to expect a courier yesterday.
Mon 04/12/00 at 19:11
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
devo wrote:
> Also don't let the lack of a letter from Sony put you off. I
> never got one!

So how did you know when to collect your ps2 from the shop devo?

ps
I have a feeling that i'm gonna get my ps2 sony letter on wednesday (i also thought that last week though :P)
Mon 04/12/00 at 17:28
The whole pre-order system has been like one huge (not very funny) game of Chinese Whispers. Also lack of communication between Sony and retailers, and rumour and counter rumours from all over the place. And don't get me started on allocation....

But don't give up if you're still waiting for a pre Xmas PS2. I got mine today, which means that another batch is here/on it's way. Also don't let the lack of a letter from Sony put you off. I never got one!

PS. Anyone got Timesplitters, and Unreal Tournament on the PC? How do they compare? How many bots can you have in deathmatch?
Mon 04/12/00 at 17:09
If you delve deeper into this pre-order system, you will see that the blame CANNOT be solely placed at the feet of Sony. It would seem that many of the high-street retailers have made HUGE c***-ups too. Many people have said that they believe that their pre-order forms were not processed by the retailers in the right way, others have hinted that there has been some sort of mis-appropriation of stock on the part of some stores. What is universally accepted is that many retailers just did not understand the pre-order process, thus they got it wrong.

The pre-order process is a wonderful thing on paper, though as we have seen, it only takes a slight hitch to turn it on it's head. But in reality, all you have to do is look at the problems they had over the channel in France, would you like to have been in the middle of all that?

Anyhow, here is a direct number to the Pre-Order Helpline, they should be more helpful than the PSX helpline: 02089 016419

I do have some other numbers if this one is of no help.

Let me know how you get on.
Mon 04/12/00 at 15:43
Hey Mad Gee.

I pre-ordered on the first day Gamesstreet started the process. What was it? Sep 11th? I'm not sure. I did keep
hassling them but as I'm sure you're aware they lay the blame solely on Sony. To be fair they're right in doing so.

How many letters have you received ? Any from Sony?
If you've spoken to Sony and they've confirmed you'll get one B4 christmas - you will! I know it's a bummer especially when you read the joyous messages of other people who've got them! Best thing is don't give up hope.

If it helps here is the number for Sony PS2 enquiries. Don't bother ringing the number they give you on the answer message. Just hold and you'll be put straight through to the pre-order people.

Number: 08705998877

Good luck and try to keep you mind occupied with other things. My advise is to order your extra controller and memory card now. By the time you get them you should also have your PS2.

Any further help don't hesitate to give me a shout.
Mon 04/12/00 at 14:56
Coopster, when did you pre-order from Gamesstreet because I haven't received my PS2 from them yet!

Thanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.