GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fire fighter's strike - For or Against?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/10/02 at 13:59
Regular
Personally, I'm in favour of it. These guys put their lives on the line day after day, and they deserve a decent salary for doing it. It must really grate that some footballers get more than double their annual salary in a week, all for kicking a ball around for a maximum of three hours a week.

40% may seem high, but considering they'll probably only get half that (if anything), then it's fair play. They always say you should ask for double what you actually want!

I appreciate that a strike may put lives at risk, but that's something held over them by government - and if they don't strike, they'll continue getting screwed.
Fri 22/11/02 at 21:59
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Hmm... I haven't posted in this thread before, for some reason or other. :-)

Anyway, my view on it all is that the firemen should get that 40% pay rise - as many people have said, day in and day out they are putting their lives on the line for all of us, doing their best to put out as many fires as possible and save as many lives as they can. They deserve what they're asking for.

But there's one problem to do with that though. If firemen get this pay rise after this strike, then many other unions will start to go on strike too - believing that they can get a pay rise too. Medical staff could go on strike, endangering many lives. There could be other strikes too, and it isn't good for the country.

Problems on either side of the matter - it's a tough one, but I'd probably say that the firemen should get the pay rise.
Fri 22/11/02 at 20:29
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Blank wrote:
> Why not get the army in full time instead? That'll teach 'em not to
> strike.

1) The army is overstretched and cannot permenantly spare 19 000 troops, nor can the RAF either. Even if there is no action in the Gulf troops need to be located into the region just in case - if only to back the UN mission with a show of force.

2) The job of the army is to defend, not fight fires.

3) Doing so would mean a hell of a lot of firefighters being sacked. Sack them all, and watch every other union go on strike. With no transport, limited policing, limited medical care e.t.c. the country would soon have more to worry about than funding a paltry 200 million shortfall....

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 22/11/02 at 14:07
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Why not get the army in full time instead? That'll teach 'em not to strike.
Fri 22/11/02 at 13:46
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Tony wrote:
> I wonder how they get time off from their second jobs to stand on
> picket lines?

---

They go during shift-times.
Fri 22/11/02 at 13:43
"Darkness, always"
Blank wrote:
> I'm pretty sure they do, although I may be wrong.

Strike action is a union activity, and union activities are chargeable time. This is law last time I looked. May not count for government employees, but I should think it would do.
Fri 22/11/02 at 13:36
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Rosalind wrote:
> Do the firefighters lose pay when they are striking?
>
> No.

I'm pretty sure they do, although I may be wrong.
Fri 22/11/02 at 13:29
"Darkness, always"
Rosalind wrote:
> Do the firefighters lose pay when they are striking?

No.
Fri 22/11/02 at 13:26
Regular
Well they certainly don't gain any.

Or do they...
Fri 22/11/02 at 13:25
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Do the firefighters lose pay when they are striking?
Fri 22/11/02 at 13:25
"Darkness, always"
Council tax is gay.

And so are firefighters.

Their girly little union hasn't replied to my mails, clearly because they acknowledge that their actions are composed almost entirely of folly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.