GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I know you're all good honest people but enough with the "Nintendo = Little Kids" stereotypes!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/12/00 at 21:46
Regular
Nintendo makes games for all ages. Rare's Goldeneye is hardly for little kids is it.

But here's another thing. Just because a game isn't full of violence, it doesn't mean that it's for little kids. Think about it...

Mario 64 for instance, I know it has cute characters and graphics but the Gameplay is tough and challenging, something that most young gamers can't cope with.

In this way it's more grown up than plenty of violent games.
Southpark is a 15 rated game. Mario, despite it's cuteness, is far more grown up.

Nowdays, most developers seem to think that platform games are for kids and make them incredibly simple and easy.

And although a little kid can pick up and play a game like Mario or Zelda easily, a more grown up gamer can get just as much fun and enjoyment out of it.
Tue 05/12/00 at 17:02
Regular
Perhaps, as I said, it's to make way for the Gamecube.

No bother anyway, I've already got one. And that's all that matters to me. Nintendo know what they're doing. I hope.
Tue 05/12/00 at 16:58
"High polygon count"
See Tony's post in the FoG forums, under "N64 still selling!"
Tue 05/12/00 at 16:53
Regular
This is why first/second party games are so important, and with Nintendo, I am very happy.
Anyone who owns a Dreamcast should be estatic.
Mon 04/12/00 at 21:17
Regular
See everyone?

Babylonian/Wookie_monster knows that Nintendo machines aren't little kids toys and found some worthwhile arguements instead. Follow that example!

(By the way, there's a good chance that all those games may come out on the GC or X_box but I suppose you'll be able to buy one of them when we know for sure!)
Mon 04/12/00 at 21:08
"High polygon count"
I'm sure most of us do know better, but that won't necessarily help Nintendo.

All the machines have good enough games, but most have to choose, and most people will choose based on long-held stereotypes, and/or the games they perceive to be best for them.

There are a few games I would buy an N64 for - Perfect Dark and Goldeneye to name two. But there are far more that I simply couldn't be bothered with, such as the endless "Mario this" and "Donkey Kong that". They may be good games, but they don't appeal to me. (And remember, this is just *my* opinion!) Mascots have been mentioned elsewhere, and they may be a good thing, but there is such a thing as overkill!

I would have bought a Dreamcast, but I personally have the same problem there. At the moment, the only reason for me to get one would be MSR. Yes, there are other "great games", but few of them appeal to me personally.

It's not that I can't afford them, because I can. I don't mean to sound like a rich snob, because I'm not - I'm just an averge guy who's fortunate enough to be in a decent job. But I can't justify paying out the money for the priviledge of a handful of games on each format.

So I chose PS2 because it has more games that I want. The Resident Evil series, Tekken, Ridge, MGS, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo etc.

Yes, some appear on other platforms, but the PS1/PS2 is the platform that gives me the largest concentration of games that *I* want to play on one, solid platform.

And of course, I haven't had to scrap my collection of PS1 games. Yes, I know there's Bleemcast, but from what I've read (on giantdonut.co.uk) there are about four versions of that, each disc covering a different type/collection of games, and each costing around £20. So that won't cover *all* PS1 games, and if you should need to buy all four to cover your PS1 collection (and I probably would), along with an adapter for a PS joypad (as it has more buttons than a Dreamcast pad), it effectively puts the price of a Dreamcast up to that of a PS2 anyway. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have an all-in-one package.

Anyway, that's why PS2 was really the only sensible purchase for *me*. I can't speak for everyone else, though.
Mon 04/12/00 at 20:25
Regular
Grix seems to have proved my point better than me.

And even if Nintendo does have a reputation for being childish then you lot should know better!
Sun 03/12/00 at 15:38
Regular
The word Elitism immediatly springs to mind.
Sun 03/12/00 at 01:57
"High polygon count"
It's not just that has this view, though. It's a view formed in Nintendo's past which is still very much in place, and one which they will have trouble shaking off. But that's not to say they *can't* shake it off.

To quote Hideo Kojima from the official PS2 magazine:

PS2 asks: "Sony has opened up the PS2 platform for all developers, whereas Nintendo is renowned for keeping it small, making a concerted attempt to create new gameplay experiences. Do you think Nintendo is the innovator here?"

HK replies: "No-one is claiming that all PS2 games are great, but there's always an opportunity for these games to create their own culture or subculture - there is no room for such culture with Nintendo products, which I view as toys."

If such prominent industry figures think that way, it could be tough for Nintendo to succeed in changing their image.

It may well be that, beneath the surface, Banjo Kazooie is a more cerebral gaming challenge than MK or RE. But you know and I know that - rightly or wrongly - that just isn't the way the gaming world generally sees things, and that's why Nintendo will, in *my* personal opinion, need a major image overhaul to seriously challenge PlayStation and, dare I say it, X-Box.
Sat 02/12/00 at 22:08
Regular
I'll shorten my sentances to a few words, as I can't be bothered to type.

Mortal Kombat = 18
Banjo Kazooie = U

Mortal Kombat = More childish than Banjo.

Why?

Teenagers love violence, and are very childish.

Teenagers hate happy bears, and bright colours. They think that they are childish.

Banjo is a challenging game. There is no blood. There is no sex. It is "childish" because the lead character is a bear.

So. To wrap up.

Mortal Kombat = Gory, crap game, childish game.
Banjo Kazooie = Bear, hard game, challenging game, not as immature as Mortal Kombat.

The same goes for Resident Evil, and any other game that features killing machines, busty heroines, or over the top gore.
Sat 02/12/00 at 21:46
Regular
Nintendo makes games for all ages. Rare's Goldeneye is hardly for little kids is it.

But here's another thing. Just because a game isn't full of violence, it doesn't mean that it's for little kids. Think about it...

Mario 64 for instance, I know it has cute characters and graphics but the Gameplay is tough and challenging, something that most young gamers can't cope with.

In this way it's more grown up than plenty of violent games.
Southpark is a 15 rated game. Mario, despite it's cuteness, is far more grown up.

Nowdays, most developers seem to think that platform games are for kids and make them incredibly simple and easy.

And although a little kid can pick up and play a game like Mario or Zelda easily, a more grown up gamer can get just as much fun and enjoyment out of it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.