GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"{Film} [Mamma Mia 2008]"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/08/08 at 15:24
Regular
Mamma Mia is a musical set in Greece and is based around two swedish song writers. Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth are backed up by Julie Walters, Dominic Cooper and Christine Barask.

Meryl Streep plays a single mum Donna, and is the owner of a ramshackle Island Taverna, whose daughter Sophie is about to get married. The daughter (Amanda Seyfried) would love her dad to take her down the aisle but because Meryl was the Island's former Harlot she doesn’t know who the father is. So instead of doing the normal thing and getting a DNA test; the daughter invites all the possible candidates, Sam (Pierce Brosnan), Harry (Colin Firth) and Bill (Stellan Skarsgard), while her mum invites her two best friends Rosie and Tanya.(Julie Walters and Christine Baranski) for a bit of support. Once the groom, bridesmaids and vicar are thrown in with some awful music and people who have to say the right thing, things should turn a bit berserk and a total mess, but it didn't it actually turned out pretty good, it is quite hilarious infact and the filming was magnificently produced.

Meryl slams wonky, wooden shutters and leads her mob of bridesmaids, ageing w****s and lumpy peasant women on an ambush through the sleepy village like a sun kissed, middle aged lampoon of Cyndi Lauper.

Walters cackles throughout like the old pro she is and even though Colin Firth is always being rather awkward, you never get the urge to beat him to death with an oar.

Brosnan, meanwhile, is at his most comical and totally not like his bond character. Nevertheless the guy cannot sing at all. It’s not that he can’t hold a tune, well not exactly, more to the fact that you can really hear him trying to hold it but still he is hilarious in his role.

For me the mature cast makes Mamma mia what it is, if they'd put a bunch of me in there it would of probably not worked so well but it works so well with the old timers who have starred in many films and have a protracted career. The film was always intended to be funny by the looks of it because it's fast moving but relaxed at the same time and everytime they start to sing its more of a muffle and was rather karaokey, a gag and when they dance its more like a circus act the way they scramble around.

All in all it's been one of the best films i've watched in 2008 and it is absolutley funny, Laugh out loud funny, despite the fact there was even worse singing from some woman in front of me. Mamma Mia also works well with the all-star lineup and is brilliantly fun. I give the film an 8.5 out of 10.
Mon 11/08/08 at 15:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
At least in the first few paragraphs the words are his. The intent and structure are still lifted from the times online. I dont suppose anybody would have noticed except that he clearly got bored of changing everything. One he gets to "Meryl slams wonky, wooden shutters and leads her mob of bridesmaids...." its pretty much verbatim until he tries to do a summary.

I wonder if hes even seen the movie at all.
Mon 11/08/08 at 14:51
Regular
"Hello?"
lol some words are his own, so he used it as a template?Hmmmm good review anyway, but it's in relation to the musical not the {Film}
Mon 11/08/08 at 14:23
Regular
Congratulations on the GAD schummi, its a good review :) I've not seen the film yet, but I'm sure I'll see it eventually with my girlfriend.
Mon 11/08/08 at 14:08
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I've got this great plan for winning a GAD!! I'm going to take a review from a popular daily newspaper and then change as many words as possible so people think I wrote it. Lets hope I dont get bored half through though and stop changing much otherwise people will be able to find the orignial review.

So well done to Hugo Rifkind from The Times, you've won a GAD. ;)
Mon 11/08/08 at 13:32
Regular
Thanks PB.. well I was sat with a few friends. I needed the GAD can go towards uni stuff. :) I'll have to have a go writing reviews more often seems to be they win a fair amount of GAD'S now.. This was my first one..
Mon 11/08/08 at 13:28
"possibly impossible"
Well done on the GAD.

This is the sort of film my wife would like, but I would probably sit through and enjoy. It'll certainly be one for DVD rather than the cinema, though...
Tue 05/08/08 at 15:24
Regular
Mamma Mia is a musical set in Greece and is based around two swedish song writers. Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth are backed up by Julie Walters, Dominic Cooper and Christine Barask.

Meryl Streep plays a single mum Donna, and is the owner of a ramshackle Island Taverna, whose daughter Sophie is about to get married. The daughter (Amanda Seyfried) would love her dad to take her down the aisle but because Meryl was the Island's former Harlot she doesn’t know who the father is. So instead of doing the normal thing and getting a DNA test; the daughter invites all the possible candidates, Sam (Pierce Brosnan), Harry (Colin Firth) and Bill (Stellan Skarsgard), while her mum invites her two best friends Rosie and Tanya.(Julie Walters and Christine Baranski) for a bit of support. Once the groom, bridesmaids and vicar are thrown in with some awful music and people who have to say the right thing, things should turn a bit berserk and a total mess, but it didn't it actually turned out pretty good, it is quite hilarious infact and the filming was magnificently produced.

Meryl slams wonky, wooden shutters and leads her mob of bridesmaids, ageing w****s and lumpy peasant women on an ambush through the sleepy village like a sun kissed, middle aged lampoon of Cyndi Lauper.

Walters cackles throughout like the old pro she is and even though Colin Firth is always being rather awkward, you never get the urge to beat him to death with an oar.

Brosnan, meanwhile, is at his most comical and totally not like his bond character. Nevertheless the guy cannot sing at all. It’s not that he can’t hold a tune, well not exactly, more to the fact that you can really hear him trying to hold it but still he is hilarious in his role.

For me the mature cast makes Mamma mia what it is, if they'd put a bunch of me in there it would of probably not worked so well but it works so well with the old timers who have starred in many films and have a protracted career. The film was always intended to be funny by the looks of it because it's fast moving but relaxed at the same time and everytime they start to sing its more of a muffle and was rather karaokey, a gag and when they dance its more like a circus act the way they scramble around.

All in all it's been one of the best films i've watched in 2008 and it is absolutley funny, Laugh out loud funny, despite the fact there was even worse singing from some woman in front of me. Mamma Mia also works well with the all-star lineup and is brilliantly fun. I give the film an 8.5 out of 10.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.