GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sub domains"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/08/08 at 10:29
Regular
Hi,

I've noticed that sub domains are now available on Freeola.

When setting one up, three options are available:
Point to an external host,
Point to existing free space on Freeola
Point to new space on Freeola

Ideally, I would like a sub domain to point to a folder within the current domain.

Without using 'new space' and re-direction, is this possible?
Wed 21/03/12 at 21:38
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Customer101 wrote:
There isn't much point of giving the option of subdomains that can only point back to the main domain folder rather than a subfolder!!!

....And there isn't much point in posting a response to a post which is nearly 4 years old either!!! ;¬)
Tue 20/03/12 at 19:08
Regular
There isn't much point of giving the option of subdomains that can only point back to the main domain folder rather than a subfolder!!!

ncrs wrote:
Unfortunately the system has not been designed with this in mind so it would not be possible. The only way I can see you doing this would be to upload a redirection script to the new Freeola space pointing to the subfolder. I will pass the suggestion along for consideration but I think it is unlikely that we would be able to add the option you asked for as it would probably require a substantial rewrite of the system concerned.
Tue 05/08/08 at 19:59
Regular
Thanks for the replies.

I had already implemented the work-around of pointing the sub domain to some free space and then directing it back to the folder that I need the sub domain to point at.

The problem with that is that the redirect changes the url in the address bar and provides the user with the full path of where the page is coming from 'http://www.domain.com/path1/path2/' and not 'sub.domain.com'

Again, thanks for the response.
Mon 04/08/08 at 10:35
"Are you sure?"
FWIW
Just checking you realise you can also use www.domain.com/name etc.
Tip from 2006: Simple Address

i.e.
www.domain.com/news can be as useful as www.news.domain.com

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 04/08/08 at 09:36
Staff
Unfortunately the system has not been designed with this in mind so it would not be possible. The only way I can see you doing this would be to upload a redirection script to the new Freeola space pointing to the subfolder. I will pass the suggestion along for consideration but I think it is unlikely that we would be able to add the option you asked for as it would probably require a substantial rewrite of the system concerned.
Sun 03/08/08 at 10:29
Regular
Hi,

I've noticed that sub domains are now available on Freeola.

When setting one up, three options are available:
Point to an external host,
Point to existing free space on Freeola
Point to new space on Freeola

Ideally, I would like a sub domain to point to a folder within the current domain.

Without using 'new space' and re-direction, is this possible?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.