GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One week on..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/12/00 at 14:25
Regular
Okay, so it's now exactly one week since many of us picked up our shiny new PS2.

So, it's silly question time...

What do we think of it so far?

Here are some questions, along with my answers.

1. What is your over-all impression of the machine?

- The over-all power is immediately obvious, particularly in a game like NHL - the faces, the expressions, the cut-scenes, the lighting, the reflections, everything. The speed, the clarity, the over-all appearance is worlds away from the original PlayStation. I just get the feeling that there is so much more, just waiting to be unleashed.

2. What impresses you most?

- The clarity of the graphics. Crisp and clean, almost as good as a PC game on a monitor.

3. What annoys you the most?

- The green DVD output through RGB cables. I feel the UK has been robbed in this area, and is the one bad mistake that Sony have made with the machine - in the UK, anyway. Even though I have a high-end DVD player, this still bugs me.

4. What games did you get, and how do you rate them?

- Tekken Tag Tournament: The best version yet; so fast, so clear. I *thought* this would be the game I'd play most. Still looking forward to DoA2, though.

TimeSplitters: blindingly fast and highly addictive, this is about the best out-and-out blaster I've played. Brilliant in multiplayer, and great fun in co-op mode.

Ridge Racer V: another frighteningly fast game, this is the first racing game ever that has actually made me giddy. Simple arcade racing thrills at a blistering pace.

NHL2001: This has kept me glued to the machine for the past week. I don't play or watch real hockey, but I can't leave this alone. Slamming someone (particularly a human opponent) into the sides is possibly more satisfying than a successful TTT combo.

5. Now you have seen PS2 in action, what are you most looking forward to?

- Some obvious titles, some not so obvious. GT3 and MGS2 for sure, but also MotoGP, Red Faction, and the next-gen Tomb Raider.

6. Finally, do you - as an owner - consider the PS2 to be worth the money it's cost you?

- Absolutely, no question.

So there you go - what are your opinions as owners? If you want to add any questions, please do!
Fri 01/08/08 at 09:24
Regular
Alan Shufflebottom

It is with deep sadness that the club has learnt of Alan's death on Sunday, 27th July 2008, at the age of 84.

Alan had been a member of Sale F.C. for well over 60 years as player, referee, administrator, and ultimately President.

After his playing days he served SFC in a number of roles and for his services to the Club was elected a Vice-President in 1962, becoming President from 1979 to 1981.
His keen interest in Sale F.C. never faded and he was still a very regular attendee in recent seasons.

Alan also had many active years with the Manchester & District Referees Society being well known at the numerous local Clubs in the North West.

His funeral will take place at 3.00 p.m on Thursday, 7th August at Altrincham Crematorium, and afterwards at the Sale F.C. clubhouse. Family flowers only please, but donations can be made to "New Heart, New Start"

"Shuff" will be missed by all who knew him and as a mark of respect, we will be holding a minute's silence at the start of the first 1st XV home league game of the new season against Wigan on Saturday, September 20th, kick off 3.00 p.m.
Sat 02/12/00 at 23:14
Regular
1.Well worth the money, the power of it that still needs to be unlocked. The little details in the games that arent normally there because of the lack of power.

2.The overall feel of the console the graphics are amazing and I still find my self in amazment over the RR5 replays.

3.RR5 not being anti aliased like TTT and both these games for not running in full screen and not being able to chose 60hz like some Dreamcast games. DVD doesnt bother me too much as I didnt really buy it for that all tho its a bonus as I havent got a stand alone DVD player or a PC DVD drive.

4.Tekken Tag- Amazing graphics even better than Soul caliber, wish it was more like Soul Caliber in the 3D sense. Tag element is a great bonus tons of characters. Its Tekken with extra punch and I like it.

Ridge Racer 5- Amzing graphics, so fast and smooth cant seem to pull myself away from it. Replays still make me shake my head in disbelivement that it could lke a run so fast.

Timesplitters- Great fun 1st person shooter, making the maps is fun and kicking the computers butt in the map. A bit hard for some challenges. Not as good as I was hoping but still a topclass title but I havent really got into it that much.

5.GT3, MGS2, The Bouncer and all the sequels to top PSX games and all the new orginal games. The future is bright the future is PS2.

6.Best 300 spent ever.
Fri 01/12/00 at 15:33
1: overall.....great; what will the games and online stuff be like in 3 years time...even better!

2: obvious power; how smooth is tekken tag? tekken 3 really pushed the old psx and you can see it....tekken tag is a walk in the park for the new machine....

3: likewise the green DVD issue. also the lack of IR remote built-in. hopefully the sony official remote will be available over here soon.

4: I only got Tekken Tag; it's great. I'm also playing my old psx stuff on it; just completed Driver 2 (in one week!) and am playing TR Chronicles in smooth-o-vision.

5: GT3, MGS2, Tomb Raider NG,Tekken 4 (?), The Getaway, Driver 3 (?), FF10.......

6: IT'S WORTH IT. For me. but not everyone can justify 300 quid so spare a thought for them!
Fri 01/12/00 at 14:25
"High polygon count"
Okay, so it's now exactly one week since many of us picked up our shiny new PS2.

So, it's silly question time...

What do we think of it so far?

Here are some questions, along with my answers.

1. What is your over-all impression of the machine?

- The over-all power is immediately obvious, particularly in a game like NHL - the faces, the expressions, the cut-scenes, the lighting, the reflections, everything. The speed, the clarity, the over-all appearance is worlds away from the original PlayStation. I just get the feeling that there is so much more, just waiting to be unleashed.

2. What impresses you most?

- The clarity of the graphics. Crisp and clean, almost as good as a PC game on a monitor.

3. What annoys you the most?

- The green DVD output through RGB cables. I feel the UK has been robbed in this area, and is the one bad mistake that Sony have made with the machine - in the UK, anyway. Even though I have a high-end DVD player, this still bugs me.

4. What games did you get, and how do you rate them?

- Tekken Tag Tournament: The best version yet; so fast, so clear. I *thought* this would be the game I'd play most. Still looking forward to DoA2, though.

TimeSplitters: blindingly fast and highly addictive, this is about the best out-and-out blaster I've played. Brilliant in multiplayer, and great fun in co-op mode.

Ridge Racer V: another frighteningly fast game, this is the first racing game ever that has actually made me giddy. Simple arcade racing thrills at a blistering pace.

NHL2001: This has kept me glued to the machine for the past week. I don't play or watch real hockey, but I can't leave this alone. Slamming someone (particularly a human opponent) into the sides is possibly more satisfying than a successful TTT combo.

5. Now you have seen PS2 in action, what are you most looking forward to?

- Some obvious titles, some not so obvious. GT3 and MGS2 for sure, but also MotoGP, Red Faction, and the next-gen Tomb Raider.

6. Finally, do you - as an owner - consider the PS2 to be worth the money it's cost you?

- Absolutely, no question.

So there you go - what are your opinions as owners? If you want to add any questions, please do!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.