GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Words of warning........"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 01/12/00 at 11:52
Regular
Most people on this forum are PS2 fans (Apart from the one's who make posts like: 'My N64/DC/Magnavox Odyssey is better than a PS2), and many of us now own Sonys new wonder, and feel that once again it will lead the market. But it is common knowledge that no console manufacturer has been able to produce two consectutive world beaters.......
Atari were beaten by Nintendo. Nintendo were then beaten by Sega. Sega were then trounced by Sony (Woo Hoo). Now who will trounce Sony????? Everyone knows the competition, but who will pose a serious challange to Sonys dominance?
1)The Dreamcast has been out for a year and has basically been competing with the PSX and N64. I don't think it'll really be able to stand up to the sheer power of the pS2 and the hype that surrounds it....

2)The Gamecube. Nintendo have already admitted that they aren't planning to compete in the Console Wars. They seem to be aimed at the kiddy market, which has kept the N64 alive andf proven lucrative for them. Basically they don't see interested in taking on the competition.

3)X-Box is the dark horse of the group. New manufacturer, the might of Mr Gates and his millions (Or Billions) and massive 3rd party support....... However Microsoft is primarily a software produrer and distributer, how will it cope with the hardware aspect of its console? The last non-japanese manufacturer to make a real impact was Atari and that was 15 or so years ago. With the Jap market being the massively vital one that it is, can Microsoft make a impact there?
There is no doubt of it's potential power, but the release won't be for over a year so it needs to be a year better than the PS2.

Overall - it's a close call. X-Box looks like the stongest competition. Only time will tell.
Fri 01/12/00 at 13:51
"High polygon count"
It has been suggested.

Actually, I might sue MS over the name.

When I first saw a picture and specs of the PS2, I said it looked like SEX in a BOX.

You gotta admit, it sounds similar. I've been checking our office for bugs ever since I heard of Xbox, but the only ones I can find are in Windows.
Fri 01/12/00 at 13:42
You are really off your XBOX aren't you wookiee.

He He HE!
Fri 01/12/00 at 13:39
"High polygon count"
"I prayed really hard for one of those Indrema systems, then - would you believe it - I was driving along, minding my own business, when suddenly - BAM! - one came blasting out of nowhere. Smashed right through my back window, it did, and landed in the passenger seat.

So I say to myself, out loud, 'that looks just like a T-2000 liquid metal robot', and to my utter surprise, it replied 'I am'.

So I says to him, 'be a good man and morph into a PS2, will you."

Okay, so it's not that funny, but I'm bored at work, wanting to get home and play SSX, and it passed some time...
Fri 01/12/00 at 13:23
He He He!!!

Man in car attacked by dumped console!

You can see the headlines now can't you.
Fri 01/12/00 at 13:17
"High polygon count"
But I can't see it chasing after your car down the street.

Unless someone threw it very hard.
Fri 01/12/00 at 13:01
Regular
"not dead"
That's not a console it's a T-2000. I'd know that shiny metalic look anywhere......
Fri 01/12/00 at 12:52
"High polygon count"
Yeah, based on Linux - it's gotta be more stable than anything using Windows or MS technology! ;-p

Mind you, some say the PS2 design is naff...

http://www.indrema.com
Fri 01/12/00 at 12:36
You missed one............ the new console from Indrema. This new baby is rumoured to be more powerful than the Xbox and game cube put together.

Watch this space.
Fri 01/12/00 at 12:00
Regular
"not dead"
I'm not sure that that's what Nintendo said. I think they said that they weren't planning to compete with Sony in terms of having an entertainment system ie DVD compatible. I believe that Nintendo said that they were going to produce the Gamecube as a console to make producing games easier on the developer, not that they weren't going to compete in the console wars.
Good points about the X-Box though.
Fri 01/12/00 at 11:52
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Most people on this forum are PS2 fans (Apart from the one's who make posts like: 'My N64/DC/Magnavox Odyssey is better than a PS2), and many of us now own Sonys new wonder, and feel that once again it will lead the market. But it is common knowledge that no console manufacturer has been able to produce two consectutive world beaters.......
Atari were beaten by Nintendo. Nintendo were then beaten by Sega. Sega were then trounced by Sony (Woo Hoo). Now who will trounce Sony????? Everyone knows the competition, but who will pose a serious challange to Sonys dominance?
1)The Dreamcast has been out for a year and has basically been competing with the PSX and N64. I don't think it'll really be able to stand up to the sheer power of the pS2 and the hype that surrounds it....

2)The Gamecube. Nintendo have already admitted that they aren't planning to compete in the Console Wars. They seem to be aimed at the kiddy market, which has kept the N64 alive andf proven lucrative for them. Basically they don't see interested in taking on the competition.

3)X-Box is the dark horse of the group. New manufacturer, the might of Mr Gates and his millions (Or Billions) and massive 3rd party support....... However Microsoft is primarily a software produrer and distributer, how will it cope with the hardware aspect of its console? The last non-japanese manufacturer to make a real impact was Atari and that was 15 or so years ago. With the Jap market being the massively vital one that it is, can Microsoft make a impact there?
There is no doubt of it's potential power, but the release won't be for over a year so it needs to be a year better than the PS2.

Overall - it's a close call. X-Box looks like the stongest competition. Only time will tell.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.