GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HDTV for XBox 360"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/09/06 at 17:50
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'm running my XBox 360 on a 6 year old TV, just wondering if anyone who owns one is running theirs on an HDTV and if so, what make/model and is it worth it etc because I'm thinking of getting one.

(40th birthday coming up, roughly a grand to spend but I'd rather spend around £500-£700 in a sale).
Thu 19/04/07 at 11:00
Regular
"ACE"
i have a 42" plasma in my living room and sometimes i take my 360 there but it looks a bit fuzzy. hopefully later im going to save up for a hd in my room. but some of them are really expensive!
Thu 30/11/06 at 17:09
Regular
I know this is old for this thread but im new and just popping in & out of different threads i can relate to. Ive got myself a 360 and i was playing it on a standard 28" t.v before which didnt even support 60hz. certain games ive got now only play in 60hz so its a good job i got my new tv now. ive got a 32" samsung lcd tv which is hd ready, i play my 360 now thru hd and i can say i love the difference. the graphics really stand out more, but thats just my 360, i aint seen owt else on it, according to reports ive read things like sky hd wont be the best on the tv i have, tho still good there are tv's which will look more clear. im still gonna try get sky hd tho. im currently waiting for the hd dvd player u can get thru the xbox 360. im hoping that will look awesome.
Fri 22/09/06 at 22:07
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Of course, on the flip side, the new Panasonic Plasmas (TH??PX600) last 60,000 hours and have a better contrast ratio (by a considerable amount) to most of the best LCDs (SONY V-Series, etc.)

Also, LCDs are susceptible to dead pixels and can suffer from them out of the box. Plasmas are susceptible to screen-burn, but there are ways to combat it. (i,e 'snow' (black and white speckles.) or just don't leave your plasma on the same screen for 6 hours!

If anyone is getting a 37"+ TV, i'd recommend a plasma. LCDs are good for computer monitors, but they're noisy on standard def TV and you can never get a very pure black from any of them. Samsung RD74BDX range being one exception (good contrast ratio.)

But yeah. I'd go for the JVC DX7 of you're looking at 32" - or the new Panasonic TX32LXD600 if you can wait a few weeks. Anything above that, get a Panasonic or Pioneer Plasma. Maybe the Samsung Q7.

Of course, it's your decision, but the 'plasmas don't last as long' quote is old, and not necessarily true for the newer ones. 60,000 hours is 6.85 years of continuous use. Even if you used it for 12 hours a day, it could technically last you over 13 years.

See.
Fri 22/09/06 at 11:37
Regular
I have a Samsung 32" HDTV (LE32R51BD) and am running the 360 in HD mode.

It does make a difference, despite what sceptics may say. I'd also say that at the rate HDTV prices are dropping, there's no reason not to get one if you have the cash.

Try to go for LCD as Plasma don't last as long - only get Plasma if you MUST have a big screen). LCD is far better quality than Plasma and isn't prone to screen-burn or dulling.

Also avoid cheapo brands. They may seem cheap, because that's what they are. Stick to a well-known brand and you'll be fine.
Thu 21/09/06 at 10:27
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I saw one running on an HDTV in Game the other week and it looked stunning.

As far as getting one goes I've just got an Argos sale catalogue that they do every so often and there are a load of them in there that have been reduced to about £600 for a 32" screen.

Only problem with Argos is you can't see them running to see how good the picture actually is.
Tue 19/09/06 at 19:27
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I work with TV's, and to be honest, buying a TV now is fine.

From a non-gaming perspective, the only current readily-available HD channels are broadcast through SKY and Telewest, but it's not so much the availability (because people will only get it when they can afford it) but rather how it works.

As you probably know, there are certain scan modes that TVs have. Sky output in 720p. If anyone has a JVC HD TV, you'll notice that the TV will give you the scan-rate of the program, and the refresh rate in Hz. i.e 720p, 60Hz.

The fact that the PS3 can output in 1080p is a bonus, but considering the fact that A) most HD ready TV's don't support that scan-mode and B) Sky and the BBC don't bother with it, seems daft. Okay, it's great for Blu-ray films... but if your TV doesn't do 1080p, then you'll have to run Resistance: Fall of Man or Hitch in 720, anyway.

If you've got a round £700 to spend, your best bet is getting a 32" (LCD) from an internet site with a shop, and then price-matching at John Lewis (5 Year guarantee). The Toshiba 32WLT66, for example, is quite popular. You have Two HDMI ports, a component input, two scarts, an S-Video and a Digital tuner (i.e Freeview) the Panasonic TX32LXD60 is good, with the same spec and smililar quality of sound. If you can find one for a decent price, the JVC LT32-DX7 is stunning. Excellent picture composition and loads of connections. The twin HDMI will carry your SKY HD and PS3. You can connect your 360 by component and even plug your Wii in one of TWO WHOLE SCARTS. But seriously. Great TV.

We have the 360 on HD at work, at you do see the difference. If you're just about gaming and would like a TV now, then the Panasonic, Tosh or JVC are fine. SONY's and Samsungs only have one HDMI and don't have as good a picture, so be careful. If you're happy to spend your £1k and would like a TV with a bit more kick, you can get the Tosh in a 37" for around £1k online or you could go for a Panasonic TX32LXD600 (not to be confused with a 60) It has better sound, Picture in picture and an SD cards slot for viewing digital camera pics. Clever.

But yes. HD gaming is lovely, but remember, it doesn't make the game better. If you're all about gameplay, then the TV you have is fine. Another thing to note, is that on standard TV, most LCDs show a lot of noise. Graining, if you will. So if you watch a lot of standard definition TV (i.e normal TV) then there's no point buying an HD Ready digital TV unless you A) Need a new TV or B) specifically want one for HD gaming. The JVC above does normal TV very well, so i'd recommend that for just under £1k online. if you want a 26", there's a 26" in that same JVC and one in the Tosh (WLT66) due out in October-ish.

I run my 360 through a Toshiba CRT (one of the last ones) through component switching on my ARCAM AVR300. Normal TV is stunning (it's still best on CRTs) and the 360 looks good because it's a good machine.

Simply put, if you want an HD TV for HD gaming, then go for it. If you're happy with what your current TV does with TV, your 360 or your PS2, then save your money. Wait for prices to fall even more and for HD TV to become more mainstream.

Sorry, i'll stop now...
Sat 16/09/06 at 03:55
Regular
"8==="
Thing is they're likely to say it's really good and different even if it isn't, otherwise it looks like they've wasted an awful lot of money. :D

I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to hook your 360 up to someone else's HDTV and then judge for yourself if the difference is worth it.
Sat 16/09/06 at 02:33
Regular
Thanks, I read it, but I'm looking for opinions from people who actually own an HDTV and run an XBox360 on it ;)

There's a similar thread on the main XBox forums but it's hard to find the right info because most threads on there turn into Brit bashing 'you guys pay too much for electronics and LCD is so last year get plasma it 0wnz' fiascos.
Fri 15/09/06 at 23:41
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://chat.freeola.com/Games-3-chat/So-HD-then-245.html[/URL]

Asked about it here.

Apparently it's not worth going HD just for gaming purposes.
Fri 15/09/06 at 17:50
Regular
I'm running my XBox 360 on a 6 year old TV, just wondering if anyone who owns one is running theirs on an HDTV and if so, what make/model and is it worth it etc because I'm thinking of getting one.

(40th birthday coming up, roughly a grand to spend but I'd rather spend around £500-£700 in a sale).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.