GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[JS/PHP] - Marquee/Text Scroller"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/07/08 at 13:58
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Javascript Scroller

First off, apologies for where the zip file is hosted, if somebody with Freeola hosting could host it, I'd be extremely grateful.

# WHAT THIS SCRIPT DOES #

This is basically a javascript version of the classic IE marquee tag, ie scrolling text. It also comes with a php script for updating the messages.

Demos: Demo 1 (horizontal) Demo 2 (vertical)
Admin: Demo admin, username is user and password is mypassword.

# HOW TO USE IT #

-You need to download this zip of the files first of all. When you unzip it, be sure the directory structure is maintained.

-Setting a username and password for the admin.
Open the scroller folder and open scroller-admin.php in your favour text editor. Right at the top you'll see...
$users=array(
'user' => 'mypassword'
);

Change user and mypassword to a username and password of your own choice. And save the script again.
There is a further config option below that to allow html in the messages (its turned off in the public demo).

-Configuring the type of scroller you want.
Open scroller.js in a text editor. There are a few config options available to you which are all docmented in the file itself and I hope are self explanatory.

-Using the scroller on a page.
Its as simple as....

<html>
<head>
<style>

#scroller {
width:350px;
height:1em;
border:1px solid green;
padding:4px;
overflow:hidden;
background:#ddd;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<script type="text/javascript" id="scrollcode" src="scroller/scroller.js"></script>
</body>
</html>

You must have the ID scroller in your css definitions. Height and width determine the size of your scrollbox. You need overflow:hidden to make things scroll properly, but otherwise you can configure the rest of the definition as you see fit. You can change the colours, put a repeating background image or whatever you like.
To place the scroller somewhere on the page you just paste in the scroller tag as shown above. Make sure you dont change anything in it though.

-Uploading
All you need to do is upload the scroller folder (and contents) into the same directory as the html file that uses the scroller. The last thing to do is change the permissions (chmod) of the data directory thats in the scroller folder. The permissions you need are 755. However depending on your host you might need 777 instead.

-Final step is to visit scroller/scroller-admin.php on your website, login and add some messages. And hopefully if you've managed to follow my crappy instructions you have a working scroller. :)
Mon 21/07/08 at 13:58
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Javascript Scroller

First off, apologies for where the zip file is hosted, if somebody with Freeola hosting could host it, I'd be extremely grateful.

# WHAT THIS SCRIPT DOES #

This is basically a javascript version of the classic IE marquee tag, ie scrolling text. It also comes with a php script for updating the messages.

Demos: Demo 1 (horizontal) Demo 2 (vertical)
Admin: Demo admin, username is user and password is mypassword.

# HOW TO USE IT #

-You need to download this zip of the files first of all. When you unzip it, be sure the directory structure is maintained.

-Setting a username and password for the admin.
Open the scroller folder and open scroller-admin.php in your favour text editor. Right at the top you'll see...
$users=array(
'user' => 'mypassword'
);

Change user and mypassword to a username and password of your own choice. And save the script again.
There is a further config option below that to allow html in the messages (its turned off in the public demo).

-Configuring the type of scroller you want.
Open scroller.js in a text editor. There are a few config options available to you which are all docmented in the file itself and I hope are self explanatory.

-Using the scroller on a page.
Its as simple as....

<html>
<head>
<style>

#scroller {
width:350px;
height:1em;
border:1px solid green;
padding:4px;
overflow:hidden;
background:#ddd;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<script type="text/javascript" id="scrollcode" src="scroller/scroller.js"></script>
</body>
</html>

You must have the ID scroller in your css definitions. Height and width determine the size of your scrollbox. You need overflow:hidden to make things scroll properly, but otherwise you can configure the rest of the definition as you see fit. You can change the colours, put a repeating background image or whatever you like.
To place the scroller somewhere on the page you just paste in the scroller tag as shown above. Make sure you dont change anything in it though.

-Uploading
All you need to do is upload the scroller folder (and contents) into the same directory as the html file that uses the scroller. The last thing to do is change the permissions (chmod) of the data directory thats in the scroller folder. The permissions you need are 755. However depending on your host you might need 777 instead.

-Final step is to visit scroller/scroller-admin.php on your website, login and add some messages. And hopefully if you've managed to follow my crappy instructions you have a working scroller. :)
Tue 12/05/09 at 21:51
Regular
Dont you have the zipfile somewhere else online?
Wed 13/05/09 at 08:40
Regular
Hmm, I can't see that they work Garin. Using FF, Chrome and IE6.

edit: just noticed how old this thread is..
Wed 13/05/09 at 13:20
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
It works still.
Somebody amused themselves by deleting all the messages from the admin thats all.
Wed 13/05/09 at 17:36
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Garin:
"First off, apologies for where the zip file is hosted, if
somebody with Freeola hosting could host it, I'd be extremely
grateful.
"

I've uploaded the zip file here for you.
Wed 13/05/09 at 17:50
"Are you sure?"
cjh wrote:
> Garin: 21/07/2008
> "First off, apologies for where the zip file is hosted,
> if somebody with Freeola hosting could host it, I'd be extremely
> grateful.
"
>
> I've uploaded the zip file here for you.

21/07/2008 !!!

finger pulse etc. :¬P

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 14/05/09 at 13:57
Regular
Garin wrote:
> It works still.
> Somebody amused themselves by deleting all the messages from > the admin thats all.

Cool, yeah it's fixed now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.