GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Recommend a band!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 21/07/08 at 13:53
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Okay this is where you can sell your favourite bands and get them more listeners.

You have to choose 1 mainstreem/commercial band and 1 local/non famous band. Along with the name and website of the band please include a brief reason why people should listen to them i.e. what makes them worth a listen.

My Choices are:

Alkaline Trio
Myspace
In my opinion Alkaline Trio are one of the greatest Punk Rock bands of my lifetime, their early material on albums Alkaline Trio, Goddamit, Maybe I'll Catch Fire, From Here To Infirmary and Good Mourning were absolute classics with maybe only one or two songs off the albums that weren'y lyrically brilliant and catchy as hell.
Download These: Hell Yes, Steamer Trunk, Bloodied Up, 97, Radio, Mr Chainsaw, My Friend Peter

Motion City Soundtrack
Myspace
Motion City Soundtrack have supported some good bands over the last 5 years, the likes of Alkaline Trio, All American Rejects, Blink 182 etc. They have gained loads of fans at every gig they have played and their lively energetic show and lyrics that you can really relate to.
Download These: The Future Freaks Me Out, Perfect Teeth, LGFUAD, Better Open The Door, When You're Around
Mon 11/08/08 at 20:28
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Well, it's not my fault that "Bob Dylan with a blowtorch for vocal chords" isn't that well known, I'd say they had more mainstream exposure than Sabbat ever did. Don't blame me for other peoples' ignorance...

How does 'reknown' sound?
Mon 11/08/08 at 11:36
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
El Viking wrote:
> featuring Martin Walykier of Skyclad fame on vocals

"fame"
Mon 11/08/08 at 11:02
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
For an "Underground" choice; the almighty Sabbat. Thrash Metal band with a slight Black Metal edge, featuring Martin Walykier of Skyclad fame on vocals and some furious riffing courtesy of Andy Sneap, now best known as a producer. Recently reformed and touring once again, they were incredible at the Scala in London back in June.

As for a mainstream choice, it's hard to go wrong with Motorhead. The last couple of albums (Inferno and Kiss of Death) have been among Lemmy's best in years, and the next, Motorizer] seems to be no exception... Among other highlights in their vast discography are Overkill (My personal favourite), 1916 and Another Perfect Day.
Sun 10/08/08 at 23:22
Regular
"I like turtles"
One of my favourite mainstream bands are Stone Sour.Despite sharing two members with Slipknot I don't think they sound alike at all.They have made some great songs in the last few years IMO.

Stone Sour Official Website

Regarding unsigned bands one of my faves are Ryashon,I think they are great fun.Here are a couple of covers they have done:

Ryu's Streetfighter Theme

Mortal Kombat Theme

The tracks they have done to date are available to download free (in one file) from their myspace site.Only fair to donate if you like them IMO.
Thu 31/07/08 at 21:50
Regular
and in return here is the king of our music scene

'Dengie Boy'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSYIsQIhyRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu32GhfyQeY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFVSCcThEbk
Thu 31/07/08 at 21:08
Regular
jubbachainsaw wrote:
> Everyone check out New Town Kings. They are a Colchester based
> Ska band. There are 10 members and they play some down right
> dirty Ska Reggae and have recently been signed to the worlds
> largest Ska/Dub/Reggae label Do The Dog.
>
> If you get a chance to get to one of their gigs you will not be
> disappointed as they put on such an amazing performance and their
> songs are modern day classics.

thanks for that, i would really like to see these guys live, do you know where the 'lettuce farm' is in colchester, tried googling it but nothing came up

excellent bit of ska
Fri 25/07/08 at 19:42
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
YH wrote:
> Good taste there. Also listen to The Magicians Assistant.

I shall give them a listen when I am slightly more sober...
Fri 25/07/08 at 19:41
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
jubbachainsaw wrote:
> Everyone check out New Town Kings. They are a Colchester based
> Ska band. There are 10 members and they play some down right
> dirty Ska Reggae and have recently been signed to the worlds
> largest Ska/Dub/Reggae label Do The Dog.
>
> If you get a chance to get to one of their gigs you will not be
> disappointed as they put on such an amazing performance and their
> songs are modern day classics.

I thought Do The Dog were a small-time UK ska label...? Although I've never really looked into them that much...
Fri 25/07/08 at 17:10
Regular
Sibs wrote:
> 'Underground'? At the moment I'd recommend Dan Le Sac Vs.
> Scroobius Pip. Check out
> their MySpace, I'd
> especially recommend giving the tracks 'Angles', 'Letter from God
> to Man' and 'Thou Shalt Always Kill' a listen. It's vaguely
> hip-hop with some electronic sounds, some indie influence there
> as well I suppose, and some brilliant lyrics... The 'singing' is
> more spoken word, but the words are usually brilliant and
> thought-provoking.

Good taste there. Also listen to The Magicians Assistant.
Fri 25/07/08 at 12:34
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Everyone check out New Town Kings. They are a Colchester based Ska band. There are 10 members and they play some down right dirty Ska Reggae and have recently been signed to the worlds largest Ska/Dub/Reggae label Do The Dog.

If you get a chance to get to one of their gigs you will not be disappointed as they put on such an amazing performance and their songs are modern day classics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.