GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"{Game} Beijing 2008 Olympics {PS3}"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Beijing 2008: The Official Video Game Of The Olympic Games'.
Thu 17/07/08 at 15:46
Regular
"Hello?"
Beijing 2008 Olympics

So what’s it got to offer? There are various modes in which you can contest in; the obvious is the Olympic games mode. This will see you taking charge of your chosen country in various sporting events. A chunky bit of gaming to get stuck into, and will test even a competent gamer. There’s some skill involved in the way you approach each event and I’d say about 40% of the events require a good old bit of button bashing; can’t beat it! There’s also a mode in which you can just pick your favourite events and compete in sort of a mini Olympics.

The multiplayer side of this game really is what it’s all about for me; it sits in great company with some friends and a few cold beers. You can have up to four people competing in events which you can customize to suit the ones you want to play. Play as many or as little as you like. It does have a lot to offer as a party game as there is usually a high level pride at steak when playing amongst friends!

As with many a game being released on the next gen consoles, the online multiplayer option is always as asset for when you fancy some multiplayer action but no one is about. The online side is fine, a few little tweaks here and there need to be sorted out but on a whole it’s quite playable. It’s a little annoying at times when people leave a game because they are loosing, leaving you to play against the computer. The game supports up to 8 players online and you can take up to 4 people from your user into a game which is a nice touch.

Being a sport based game, it’s never going to stun you visually nor is it intended to do. It’s not trying to be something that it is not, that’s probably why it works so well, keeping it simple it sometimes what’s needed! Take it for what it is and you will not have any gripes. It looks neat and tidy and the crowd around the stadiums bring the atmosphere of the Olympics to you. The athletes look life like and the use of the technology has not been wasted in that sense.

If you loved any of the track and field games or the Athens game from a few years ago then I’d suggest giving this game a go. However, if you want to keep your controller in good working order and avoid personal injury to your palms then I would avoid buying this game. It will only end up causing you pain and injury. Yes the game is true to it’s genre and has made a good stab at the whole virtual reality feeling or the sporting genre. You’ll sweat, hurt and ache after a few events. Will I still be playing this game this time next year; probably not but it’s definitely worth picking up cheap or renting for a week or so.

7/10
Mon 28/07/08 at 21:10
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Emmie87 wrote:
> I didnt like the loading times / playing time if that makes
> sense. Waited too long for too little gameplay

Pretty much agree with you - especially the number of times you have to press A/X to get to the game before, during, again during and then again after...grrr I just want to use my attempts up quickly! I'm exhausted before I even get a go!
Tue 22/07/08 at 12:12
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
I love this game, but I must say the running events dont half hurt your palms. I have 2 big holes in my right hand after doing the 400metres on my brothers XBOX. It really hurt actually. The PS3 version I own is a lot more forgiving on your hands though.
Tue 22/07/08 at 12:08
Regular
"THFC"
Nice review!
I enjoy these games, but always feel like my contorller is going to suffer big time! Plus i get knackered after some events.
I played Beijing 08 and thought it was OK - not like the old track and field on Playstation

I didnt like the loading times / playing time if that makes sense. Waited too long for too little gameplay

But worth a rent
Tue 22/07/08 at 11:43
Regular
"Hello?"
Nin wrote:
> I love these games but unfortunately i'm useless at them.
> There is nothing worse than breaking your fingers in the
> 100meter sprint and still watching your friends run on ahead like
> they have a rocket up their a**e while you flail around behind
> them like a chubby teenage girl.

lol I know the feeling, you go through the pain and mess up your controller and still you don't even get the satisfaction of kicking eveyones ass!
Mon 21/07/08 at 19:47
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I love these games but unfortunately i'm useless at them.
There is nothing worse than breaking your fingers in the 100meter sprint and still watching your friends run on ahead like they have a rocket up their a**e while you flail around behind them like a chubby teenage girl.
Thu 17/07/08 at 15:46
Regular
"Hello?"
Beijing 2008 Olympics

So what’s it got to offer? There are various modes in which you can contest in; the obvious is the Olympic games mode. This will see you taking charge of your chosen country in various sporting events. A chunky bit of gaming to get stuck into, and will test even a competent gamer. There’s some skill involved in the way you approach each event and I’d say about 40% of the events require a good old bit of button bashing; can’t beat it! There’s also a mode in which you can just pick your favourite events and compete in sort of a mini Olympics.

The multiplayer side of this game really is what it’s all about for me; it sits in great company with some friends and a few cold beers. You can have up to four people competing in events which you can customize to suit the ones you want to play. Play as many or as little as you like. It does have a lot to offer as a party game as there is usually a high level pride at steak when playing amongst friends!

As with many a game being released on the next gen consoles, the online multiplayer option is always as asset for when you fancy some multiplayer action but no one is about. The online side is fine, a few little tweaks here and there need to be sorted out but on a whole it’s quite playable. It’s a little annoying at times when people leave a game because they are loosing, leaving you to play against the computer. The game supports up to 8 players online and you can take up to 4 people from your user into a game which is a nice touch.

Being a sport based game, it’s never going to stun you visually nor is it intended to do. It’s not trying to be something that it is not, that’s probably why it works so well, keeping it simple it sometimes what’s needed! Take it for what it is and you will not have any gripes. It looks neat and tidy and the crowd around the stadiums bring the atmosphere of the Olympics to you. The athletes look life like and the use of the technology has not been wasted in that sense.

If you loved any of the track and field games or the Athens game from a few years ago then I’d suggest giving this game a go. However, if you want to keep your controller in good working order and avoid personal injury to your palms then I would avoid buying this game. It will only end up causing you pain and injury. Yes the game is true to it’s genre and has made a good stab at the whole virtual reality feeling or the sporting genre. You’ll sweat, hurt and ache after a few events. Will I still be playing this game this time next year; probably not but it’s definitely worth picking up cheap or renting for a week or so.

7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.