GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Raw Gaming"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 28/11/00 at 17:25
Regular
Some people would have seen this, in the new Official PS2 magazine they gave Hideo Kojima an interview, for people who dont know who he is, if you here his name associated with a game it will probably end up being a classic, he makes the MGs series. well he said he had an idea about sumthing called a Raw Game where "if your not careful once you reach 'Game over' it ends, you can never play it again. it's dead there is no continue" does that sound good? if you dies you will have to buy it again and start over.
Fri 01/12/00 at 10:12
"High polygon count"
> When you die (etc) the game cancels itself and you
> have to pay an extra few pounds to play it again.

It's possible, but then it's not strictly true that you could never play it again.

I suppose it depends on how adamant he is about *really* never being able to play again.

Certainly not good from a business point of view!
Fri 01/12/00 at 10:09
"High polygon count"
> Well that's ruined that topic! ; )

Cuh, defeatist!
Fri 01/12/00 at 09:52
Regular
"Complete Banker"
HK coould have been refering to online gaming....??
You download the game for a few pounds onto your HDD and your progress is monitered by the game itself or your online connection. When you die (etc) the game cancels itself and you have to pay an extra few pounds to play it again. But thinking about it doesn't that sound a bit like arcades?????? This could be konami's way of increasing their popularity by introducing them into the home of PS2 owners. Just an idea.
Fri 01/12/00 at 09:49
Regular
"not dead"
Well that's ruined that topic! ; )
Fri 01/12/00 at 09:45
"High polygon count"
Okay, the next line of discussion on this topic should be...

On current technology, how would you prevent people from playing the game again?

1. The CD/DVD on which the game comes cannot be modified, so you couldn't 'trash' the disc when the player died.

2. You can't save anything on a memory card/hard disk, as all the player has to do is format or replace it. (Okay, that may be expensive, but it is possible.)

3. You can't use any form of verification code which works only once, as it could be worked around using the methods in (2).

The only currently feasible way - I think - would be on a console which had a CD-RW drive. The game could then be supplied on a CD-RW disc, and if you die in the game, it formats the disc or scrambles it in some other way.

As no console manufacturer in the world is ever likely to include a CD-RW drive as standard, due to piracy issues, I think we can rule this out!

Any other thoughts on the matter?
Fri 01/12/00 at 09:20
It could be a good idea, if it were a tough game however it might never catch off. It would certainly put pressure on you. The price would have to be low so that everyone would buy it. Would you spend £35 on something that could be past its useful life after a few minutes? If you are no good that is?
Fri 01/12/00 at 09:12
Regular
"not dead"
It sounds like an interesting idea. I doubt that it would be your typical game though, in which you die regularly whilst trying to get used to the controls. And if it was supposed to be more realistic, you would get shot, and have to get the wound healed, so maybe you'd have to find a hospital, before you bleed to death.

As I said, it's an intersting idea, and could be seen as quite a challenge by the experienced player.
Thu 30/11/00 at 21:49
poor customer? we have a choice if we wanna buy it or not.
Thu 30/11/00 at 10:36
OK, It maybe just an idea but it's still just another way of get more cash out of the poor consumer.
Wed 29/11/00 at 22:06
He said it was just an idea, probably sell the game for normal amount then you have to buy a new life disc wihch is 5 pound and yeah you could buy new characters.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.