GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playing as the Baddie"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/10/02 at 18:42
Regular
So, who's your favourite character? Would it be the classic Nintendo mascot (and unsuccessful plumber,) Mario? What does he do? He saves all the strange worlds with Mushrooms in them, controlled by strange men like Wario.

Could it be Sega's Sonic? What does he do? He saves the world and other people from the evil Dr Robotnik.

Perhaps it's Solid Snake, the star of Metal Gear Solid. He goes around destroying nuclear weapons and other nuclear threats, as well as making some nice friends on the way.

But there are many more to choose from. It could be Crash Bandicoot, it could be Spyro the Dragon, maybe it's Lara Croft-there are loads of them. And what do they ALL do? They save worlds by beating the baddies.

Now, I was thinking, what would it be like to play the baddie in games? Perhaps you'd like to be Liquid Snake in MGS, or Wario in any 1 of the thousands of the Mario games. I think it would be very exciting, and perhaps a little tougher, as the goodies always seem to have much more health than the baddies, right?

There are many advantages to playing the baddie in a game. It would be much more interesting and fun, if once you completed the game you went and blew up some countries. It would probably be a lot of fun to watch all Mario and all his little friends disappear in a chorus of, "Mum-am-mia!"

It could also lead to some very enticing plot lines. You're some assasin who's been sent by Sadamn Hussein (dunno how to spell his name either,) to kill someone who is trying to thwart Sadamn's plans of world domination. You find this man, and your about to kill him when he pipes up with, "Please...think about what you're doing! You're going to send the whole world into slavery, and that will include you as well! Please stop this madness, and help me to defeat Sadamn!"

Then you have a choice. You can blow this man's brains out like Sadamn told you to...or, you can put your gun away, and help defeat Sadamn. Either way, you will end up completing the game. Would there be a 'right' way of doing it? No, not really. You can either watch the ending sequence where President Bush is rolling around with his trousers on fire, or you can see the one where you and your friend are standing on a podium being given a medal by President Bush.

BUT, there are some problems.

If you were, say, a monster in Doom 2, then the game wouldn't be very exciting, would it? In most shooters you have to kill many people, and go through many different challenges to get to the final boss. Where as if all you had to do was run around trying to find someone, killing them and seeing the end movie, it's rather dull. The only I can see them getting round this is by sending you into the goodies base, where your basically doing the same thing as you would've done controlling the goodie.

There have been some games around lately where your character is the bad guy. But nearly all of the time, your enemies are the police. Games such as Driver and Smugglers Run are notable examples. These type of games are not what I'm talking about, as I'm sure you'll have guessed.

So, where do we go from here? Do we continue always being the good guy, against all odds trying to save worlds and other people. Or are we given a game where we take control of the enemy. Where we can inflict much punishment on the annoying good-looking guy, who always gets the girl and beats up the baddies.

With some innovation, and someone as good as Kojima or Miyamoto, I believe we can get their.
Wed 03/03/04 at 02:29
Regular
Try dungeon keeper.

You make a dungeon, spawn it with your evil monsters, and watch as "hero's" try to kill them! :-)

As to playing the baddie, a lot of games let you play the bad guy now days, especially the ones that give you freedom to do what you want (GTA).
But we all want to be the good guys deep down.

The best character ever is Samus. :-)
Tue 02/03/04 at 23:52
Regular
I can't believe no one replied for 1 year and 4 months, genius!
Tue 02/03/04 at 22:25
Regular
Whistle.
Tue 01/10/02 at 18:42
Regular
So, who's your favourite character? Would it be the classic Nintendo mascot (and unsuccessful plumber,) Mario? What does he do? He saves all the strange worlds with Mushrooms in them, controlled by strange men like Wario.

Could it be Sega's Sonic? What does he do? He saves the world and other people from the evil Dr Robotnik.

Perhaps it's Solid Snake, the star of Metal Gear Solid. He goes around destroying nuclear weapons and other nuclear threats, as well as making some nice friends on the way.

But there are many more to choose from. It could be Crash Bandicoot, it could be Spyro the Dragon, maybe it's Lara Croft-there are loads of them. And what do they ALL do? They save worlds by beating the baddies.

Now, I was thinking, what would it be like to play the baddie in games? Perhaps you'd like to be Liquid Snake in MGS, or Wario in any 1 of the thousands of the Mario games. I think it would be very exciting, and perhaps a little tougher, as the goodies always seem to have much more health than the baddies, right?

There are many advantages to playing the baddie in a game. It would be much more interesting and fun, if once you completed the game you went and blew up some countries. It would probably be a lot of fun to watch all Mario and all his little friends disappear in a chorus of, "Mum-am-mia!"

It could also lead to some very enticing plot lines. You're some assasin who's been sent by Sadamn Hussein (dunno how to spell his name either,) to kill someone who is trying to thwart Sadamn's plans of world domination. You find this man, and your about to kill him when he pipes up with, "Please...think about what you're doing! You're going to send the whole world into slavery, and that will include you as well! Please stop this madness, and help me to defeat Sadamn!"

Then you have a choice. You can blow this man's brains out like Sadamn told you to...or, you can put your gun away, and help defeat Sadamn. Either way, you will end up completing the game. Would there be a 'right' way of doing it? No, not really. You can either watch the ending sequence where President Bush is rolling around with his trousers on fire, or you can see the one where you and your friend are standing on a podium being given a medal by President Bush.

BUT, there are some problems.

If you were, say, a monster in Doom 2, then the game wouldn't be very exciting, would it? In most shooters you have to kill many people, and go through many different challenges to get to the final boss. Where as if all you had to do was run around trying to find someone, killing them and seeing the end movie, it's rather dull. The only I can see them getting round this is by sending you into the goodies base, where your basically doing the same thing as you would've done controlling the goodie.

There have been some games around lately where your character is the bad guy. But nearly all of the time, your enemies are the police. Games such as Driver and Smugglers Run are notable examples. These type of games are not what I'm talking about, as I'm sure you'll have guessed.

So, where do we go from here? Do we continue always being the good guy, against all odds trying to save worlds and other people. Or are we given a game where we take control of the enemy. Where we can inflict much punishment on the annoying good-looking guy, who always gets the girl and beats up the baddies.

With some innovation, and someone as good as Kojima or Miyamoto, I believe we can get their.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.