GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics cards"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/11/05 at 22:21
Regular
"Have a nice day !"
Hi everyone !!! I want to upgrade my existing graphics card but i do not know what to buy, so i need your help. I have a motherboard that supports agp4x only (1.5v). My current one is creative chipset by nVIDIA gforce4 Ti 4200 64MB. I was thinking of buying the Radeon 9600xt 256MB but although it has good reviews when compared with the mx4xxx series i came across a couple of reviews comparing it with my Ti 4200 and it was mentioned that there is not an actual difference.
So what do you think about it? Do u have a better suggestion? Pls keep in mind that I do not want to go for the beasts (ie X800 or the 6-7 series of nVIDIA for financial reasons mainly).

Thanks a lot in advance !!!!
Tue 01/11/05 at 22:21
Regular
"Have a nice day !"
Hi everyone !!! I want to upgrade my existing graphics card but i do not know what to buy, so i need your help. I have a motherboard that supports agp4x only (1.5v). My current one is creative chipset by nVIDIA gforce4 Ti 4200 64MB. I was thinking of buying the Radeon 9600xt 256MB but although it has good reviews when compared with the mx4xxx series i came across a couple of reviews comparing it with my Ti 4200 and it was mentioned that there is not an actual difference.
So what do you think about it? Do u have a better suggestion? Pls keep in mind that I do not want to go for the beasts (ie X800 or the 6-7 series of nVIDIA for financial reasons mainly).

Thanks a lot in advance !!!!
Wed 02/11/05 at 10:32
Regular
"Captain to you."
Can i ask what your budget is for the graphics card as that way we'll be able to recommend something that we know isin your price range.
Wed 02/11/05 at 10:35
Regular
Will a Radeon 9800 Pro/XT run on AGP4x?

I think it will. Go for that.
Wed 02/11/05 at 16:24
"Genius!"
Yeah, 9800pro's are good for the money and yes they do work for AGP4X.
Wed 02/11/05 at 18:32
Regular
That's the funny thing about PCI-E, very few applications, if any use the 8x AGP slot to its full potential, I can't think of one thing which goes above 4x. But yeah 9800 pros are good if you have a tightish budget.
Wed 02/11/05 at 22:41
Regular
"Have a nice day !"
Hi ! Thanx everyone for answering !!! My budget is strictly up to 75 pounds. And no i dont have pci-express neither i referred to any pci-express cards on my previous post. I was talking about the agp versions of these cards.

P.S. Can anyone pls explain to me why did i have to register a second time with this stupid system on the site? Plus it did not allow me to register with my previous nickname since it "has been already taken" (by me the first time i presume)... What is going on here?

Thanx again for your time gents !
Wed 02/11/05 at 23:09
Regular
"Captain to you."
I suggest you take a look at getting a x700 as the benchmarks i have seen it out performs most low budget cards.

You didn't need to re-register you just needed to log in.
Thu 03/11/05 at 00:06
Regular
"Have a nice day !"
Yeah that sounds like a good idea I was actually looking at one of the x700 series the x700 256mb power edition by GECUBE. Only downside it needs to be powered up by the PSU as well and my PSU is 300W, i do not know if it can handle the extra outage. My system specs are as follows:

P4 2Gh
mobo: gigabyte GA-8SR533 with
512mb at 266mh and added pci cards:
sound card
ethernet card
usb 2 and firewire card
56k modem card
ATA 133 60GB hard drive
2x dvd drives (one RW)
and the agp4x gforce 4 Ti 64mb g. card

Not all the usbs are in use at a time (usually 2 of them and non of the firewires).
I really do not know if i should spend the money for a good g. card now considering a) the rest of my pc's specs and b) the fact that i will probably replace the pc with a new one within the next 24 months.

P.S. I just loged in and it redirected me to another page where i had to subscribe for a newsletter (which was not optional and that is unacceptable) and from there it started all from the beginning. Anyway its done now...
Thu 03/11/05 at 06:58
Regular
Modiga-Disabled wrote:
> That's the funny thing about PCI-E, very few applications, if any use
> the 8x AGP slot to its full potential, I can't think of one thing
> which goes above 4x.

My X850XT PE is AGP8x.

I wish I had gone for a PCI-E version though.
Thu 03/11/05 at 10:44
Regular
"bot"
6800LE for £80 is your best bet.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.