GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 - Starting to crack?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/09/02 at 17:56
Regular
For what seems like an eternity the PS2 has dominated the console war. The best selling games, the biggest fan base, it seemed that Sony had the console industry at their fingertips. Recently, however, it seems that the PS2 dam could crack soon..

First point:

The line-up of games at the moment is poor. We have very bad titles like Kingsfield. But the majority is very average, not more than that. Also, originality seems to be fading, with very few games being released that don't have a number after them. For every The Project Zero, we have Need For Speed, Hitman 2, Onimusha 2, Mat hoffman's 2... and you get the picture.

Second point:
Not really a whole point, more of an add-on for the second one. Reveiw scores are going down. Not since the (now) old V-Rally 3 has a game got 90% in Play. The last high score a game got was Aggressive Inline's 88%. Even the promising Toca Race Driver only managed a still respectable 83%. A lot of games are getting 85's, but remember back about 7/8 issues when 2/3 games got a high mark, and back in the PSone's prime scores falling below 60% were oddities.

Third point:
Nothing really gets me going about PS2 anymore. I look at my games and sigh. Among them: Toca, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Pro Evolution Soccer, Metal Gear - all these games blew me away on PSone but now I just look at them and wince. I recently got Red Faction, and it is brilliant. But one game out of just under 20 that I have exciting me - surely by this stage in the console world we should have more than that?

Fourth point:
Gamecube and XBox have a (I hate to admit) good release selection, especially the former console. With Mario and Zelda, Perfect Dark and Metroid, Starfox and a lot more to compete with a lot of games on PS2 that don't look that promising.

Fifth point:
I honestly can't see The Getaway being good at all. In fact GTA Vice City, Red Faction 2, Timesplitters 2 and maybe (just maybe) Pro Evo 2 are the only games I can see being actually great games. I think all the other games (Or should that be sequels?) look good but not great. Even The Getaway doesn't strike me as a game that will sell out and take magazines by storm etc.

So, these are my points. They are all (I think) good ones. Never a man to bias to one side of the argument though, so here is the stuff PS2 fans want to hear.

First point:
The Thing and Project Zero are excellent. Originality will dry up, but using ideas that have worked well before but adding to them can't be all that bad an idea.

Second point:
Maybe the reviewers now have higher standards after what has been. We've seen class games, so games that are great but just can't compare to the excellence doesn't matter. Buy all the excellence and you should be set for life anyway.

Third point:
At my age it's hard to get excited about anything without needing two back operations and a liver transplant. The games I have aren't that bad, to be honest each has supplied many hours of fun.

Fourth point:
I was moaning about sequels, but all of the mentioned Gamecube releases were sequels. Maybe we are just doing what everyone else is doing.
And who knows, the last game I truly thought would be promising was WWF Smackdown so maybe i've grown out of getting excited over games. Then again, there is Breath Of Fire V..

Fifth point:
Read the last 3 lines of the last point.
I have also mentioned that sequels aren't all that bad and that I do often get under-excited.

Well, this is the argument: The first 5 are against the PS2, the latter 5 for it. Make of them what you will. I think they balance well, but maybe the balance could tip...
Fri 20/09/02 at 17:56
Regular
For what seems like an eternity the PS2 has dominated the console war. The best selling games, the biggest fan base, it seemed that Sony had the console industry at their fingertips. Recently, however, it seems that the PS2 dam could crack soon..

First point:

The line-up of games at the moment is poor. We have very bad titles like Kingsfield. But the majority is very average, not more than that. Also, originality seems to be fading, with very few games being released that don't have a number after them. For every The Project Zero, we have Need For Speed, Hitman 2, Onimusha 2, Mat hoffman's 2... and you get the picture.

Second point:
Not really a whole point, more of an add-on for the second one. Reveiw scores are going down. Not since the (now) old V-Rally 3 has a game got 90% in Play. The last high score a game got was Aggressive Inline's 88%. Even the promising Toca Race Driver only managed a still respectable 83%. A lot of games are getting 85's, but remember back about 7/8 issues when 2/3 games got a high mark, and back in the PSone's prime scores falling below 60% were oddities.

Third point:
Nothing really gets me going about PS2 anymore. I look at my games and sigh. Among them: Toca, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Pro Evolution Soccer, Metal Gear - all these games blew me away on PSone but now I just look at them and wince. I recently got Red Faction, and it is brilliant. But one game out of just under 20 that I have exciting me - surely by this stage in the console world we should have more than that?

Fourth point:
Gamecube and XBox have a (I hate to admit) good release selection, especially the former console. With Mario and Zelda, Perfect Dark and Metroid, Starfox and a lot more to compete with a lot of games on PS2 that don't look that promising.

Fifth point:
I honestly can't see The Getaway being good at all. In fact GTA Vice City, Red Faction 2, Timesplitters 2 and maybe (just maybe) Pro Evo 2 are the only games I can see being actually great games. I think all the other games (Or should that be sequels?) look good but not great. Even The Getaway doesn't strike me as a game that will sell out and take magazines by storm etc.

So, these are my points. They are all (I think) good ones. Never a man to bias to one side of the argument though, so here is the stuff PS2 fans want to hear.

First point:
The Thing and Project Zero are excellent. Originality will dry up, but using ideas that have worked well before but adding to them can't be all that bad an idea.

Second point:
Maybe the reviewers now have higher standards after what has been. We've seen class games, so games that are great but just can't compare to the excellence doesn't matter. Buy all the excellence and you should be set for life anyway.

Third point:
At my age it's hard to get excited about anything without needing two back operations and a liver transplant. The games I have aren't that bad, to be honest each has supplied many hours of fun.

Fourth point:
I was moaning about sequels, but all of the mentioned Gamecube releases were sequels. Maybe we are just doing what everyone else is doing.
And who knows, the last game I truly thought would be promising was WWF Smackdown so maybe i've grown out of getting excited over games. Then again, there is Breath Of Fire V..

Fifth point:
Read the last 3 lines of the last point.
I have also mentioned that sequels aren't all that bad and that I do often get under-excited.

Well, this is the argument: The first 5 are against the PS2, the latter 5 for it. Make of them what you will. I think they balance well, but maybe the balance could tip...
Fri 20/09/02 at 18:45
"High polygon count"
Nothing gets you going about PS2 any more?

Maybe you're just growing out of videogames?

You're right when you say that releases have been slow, but that's traditional over the summer period - which is why I always maintain that Microsoft and Nintendo made a mistake releasing new consoles around springtime. Remember Sony launched PS2 in November in the UK, and the rush to buy completely outshines Xbox and Gamecube's efforts - even when we had a limited supply.

Xbox has had nothing of real note made available since March, and won't have until around November. Gamecube has faired a little better, because at least Nintendo have had at least one significant title every month to keep things ticking over. PS2 has gone quieter than usual, but we have had major titles - such as MGS2, V-Rally 3 and Stuntman - to keep us going.

Plus, we have something the other formats don't - a large catalogue of quality older titles to fall back on, which we may not have bought on their original release.

But the games are about to pick up again, on all formats. And one thing to consider is that around this time of year, many top games get deliberately held back for Christmas. Just like the music industry, everyone wants a Christmas Number 1!

The Getaway (which unlike you, I think will be great), Tomb Raider AoD (Lara's first outing on PS2 - bound to be massive), Ratchet & Clank, and GTA Vice City are but four titles which will be massive hits this Christmas - and I can't wait to play them.

Then we have the likes of The Thing, Colin McRae 3, Run Like Hell etc. - all sure to be top games.

Going back to Vice City - this is exactly the type of game that keeps me excited about PS2. Not for the content, but for the improvements. A year ago, the press were wetting themselves over GTA3 and proudly boasting how the game pushed the machine to its technical limits. Yet now, one year on, Vice City is bigger, looks far better and has much more content - proving that the machine is nowhere near its limits.

So no, I can't agree that it's starting to crack. In fact, I'd say it's just starting to gather pace. There's good stuff coming for the Xbox and Gamecube, that's for sure - but as a nowner of all three machines, it's still the PS2 titles that I look out for primarily, because they still give me the biggest buzz.
Fri 20/09/02 at 18:45
Regular
"Max Power"
Asher D wrote:

> First point:
>
> The line-up of games at the moment is poor.

thats true

> Second point:
> Reveiw scores are going down. The last high score a game got was
> Aggressive Inline's 88%.

yeah but the to be realeased games might be 90%+

> Third point:
> Nothing really gets me going about PS2 anymore.

the ps2 is dying abit now

> Fourth point:
> Gamecube and XBox have a (I hate to admit) good release selection,
> especially the former console.

the ps2 just isnt in the compotition at the moment

> Fifth point:
> GTA Vice City, Red Faction 2, Timesplitters 2 and maybe (just maybe) Pro > Evo 2 are the only games I can see being actually great games. I think
> all the other games (Or should that be sequels?) look good but not great.

well gta vice city everone knows how good thats gonna be, red faction 2 will be great but not exellent, timesplitters 2 will be great and pro evo 2 probably will probably be in the top but not as good as the others
Fri 20/09/02 at 19:25
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Maybe you should think about looking at another console. I mean xbox and GC have some amzing titles comeing out. If you love online gaming then xbox because of xbox live. But if i was you i would experiment a little.
Fri 20/09/02 at 20:00
Regular
"es argh"
Asher D wrote:

>
> Fifth point:
> I honestly can't see The Getaway being good at all. In fact GTA Vice
> City, Red Faction 2, Timesplitters 2 and maybe (just maybe) Pro Evo 2
> are the only games I can see being actually great games.

How dare you say tht about PES2, you say that PES2 "Could" be a good game, and you like C:DS, you have bad taste, go spank ourself.

I could go on forever how PES2 will be the best game of the year, but everyone already knows.

It shall rule, and you shall be condemmed to the toilet for eternity for thinking otherwise.
Sat 21/09/02 at 00:01
Regular
I think Wookiee answered most of it in his first paragraph, pointing out that this is the summer period, where it is always slow. In fact, when you consider Final Fantasy 10 and Medal of Honour in the early summer, followed by TOCA, Tekken 4, Stuntman and The Thing, more recently, you begin to realise that though it may be a weak summer, the GC and X-Box had a much much worse turn out.

As for the release shedule, I still haven`t seen a single X-Box title that makes me really consider buying it. The only game that seems to be exciting people is Halo 2, not due for another year yet, making it a one game console. As for the GC, Perfect Dark is certainly in Doubt, Zelda can`t decide what clothes to wear, and the others are sequels of sequels of...

I fully expect the PS2 to enjoy Xmas just as much as it did last year.
Sat 21/09/02 at 01:55
Regular
Personally I think a PS2 is worth it just for Pro evolution soccer. heh, but thats just me. I still play the game regulary with my bro a year after release :) Cant wait for PES2!

As for xbox, well, personally, i havnt heard of half of these games coming out. I think the problem lies in that. A lot of new franchises which people dont associate with straight away. Well, thats my theory anyway :p

I think the GameCube will have a very rosy christmas. The "true" sequel to goldeneye will come back to its home in the form of timesplitters 2 :) Mario looks better than ever in Sunshine. And starfox looks like da s**t! Resident Evil should already be shifting a few Cubes, and theres Eternal Darkness to look forward too for all those people which prefer the more mature title.
Sat 21/09/02 at 02:04
"High polygon count"
Surely the 'true' sequel to Goldeneye was the original TimeSplitters, then? :-)
Sat 21/09/02 at 02:08
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Surely the 'true' sequel to Goldeneye was the original TimeSplitters,
> then? :-)

Nah, cos that sucked :P

It dont even deserve to be on the same page as Goldeneye :P Although i never played the game myself. I'm just going on what i heard around here :)
Sat 21/09/02 at 02:11
"High polygon count"
Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about!

The single-player game was lacking, sure - but for me it's still the best multiplayer FPS available - at least until TS2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.