GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is this the "Final" Final Fantasy?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/09/02 at 21:53
Regular
I've heard that after final fantasy XI, Gamecube are going to be realsing a final fantasy. I'm just wondering whether anyone knows anything about this? Are Gamecube going to realease anymore? Are they just going to be on the Gamecube?
Tue 17/09/02 at 21:53
Regular
"You can't catch me!"
I've heard that after final fantasy XI, Gamecube are going to be realsing a final fantasy. I'm just wondering whether anyone knows anything about this? Are Gamecube going to realease anymore? Are they just going to be on the Gamecube?
Wed 18/09/02 at 00:01
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Final fantasy games are coming to Game Cube however there are no plans to stop making them for PS2.
Wed 18/09/02 at 17:01
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
The Gamecube game is Final fantasy: Chrystal Chronicle, which you will need a GBA as well as a GC to play. They'll still be making the regular Final Fantasy series for PS2.
Wed 18/09/02 at 22:08
Regular
"You can't catch me!"
Blank wrote:
>They'll still be making the regular Final Fantasy series for PS2.

phew..
Wed 18/09/02 at 22:33
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
As far as I know, Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicle will be exclusive to GameCube, with 10, 11 and the 7 Remake remaining exclusive to PS2. Rumours suggest that 12 onwards will be on both PS2 and GameCube.

So us PS2 owners have nothing to worry about.
Thu 19/09/02 at 20:01
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I think they've canned the 7 remake to be honest. They were supposedly remaking 7, 8 and 9 for PS2, but that information is really old, and while there has been no official cancellation it still seems dubious seeing as there hasn't been any news or screenshots at all, and Square have suffered losses. I think they're concentrating on projects that are likely to sell well such as the FFX spin offs, FFXII and Unlimited Saga.
Thu 19/09/02 at 20:32
Regular
"  "
Apprently the reason they aren't multi formatting FF10 to GC is because the GC disks have too low capacity to fit it on. It would take around 6 disks. Also the GC one wont be ported to PS2 as its only going to be short. Tis true, dont argue. :)
Sat 21/09/02 at 01:46
Regular
I heard it was because Squaresoft wanted to make new things for the consoles, rather than direct ports. Also, even if FFX used the PS2 disc to it's full potential, only two GameCube discs would be needed, and that wouldn't be a problem.
Sat 21/09/02 at 02:02
"High polygon count"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Also, even if FFX used the PS2 disc to it's full potential, only two
> GameCube discs would be needed, and that wouldn't be a problem.

There's no way that can be said for definite.

A single-sided dual-layer DVD holds 4.7 gigabytes. A GC disc holds 1.5 gigabytes.

If the PS2 disc was full and no data compression was used, that's still more than 2 GC discs. You could compress data on the GC discs and possibly fit it on 2.

But if the PS2 disc was full AND compressed, the situation changes entirely, and it may well take a number of GC discs.

Of course, if anyone has FFX for PS2 and a DVD-ROM drive in their PC, they could tell us exactly how much space the game requires...

But as games grow in size, sooner or later I think the GC's discs will prevent some titles from appearing. As I've already said elsewhere, something like GT3 wouldn't work in the same format, because it uses over 3.5GB of disc space, and so wouldn't fit on a GC disc even with the alleged capacity-doubling compression - as the disc then still only holds 3GB.
Sat 21/09/02 at 14:41
Regular
Well, thanks to the mini-disc format, discs can be compressed more effectively than the DVD, and it also enables the option of dual sided discs should the need occur. And then there's the two disc option.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.