GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Come see my sexy blue gamecube"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/09/02 at 19:52
Regular
Today i invalidated my warranty and cast caution to the wind as i ripped apart my gamecube and re-sprayed the outside.

The pics aren't very good, only one really shows the actual colour with any kind of accuracy.
Still, here's the link:

http://huw41.tripod.com/blue/cube.html

The process:
1. carefully, remembering where everything went, open the cube and take it all apart. (The way it's pieced together you'll need to seperate quite a lot of the innards to be able to remove the case).

2. respray everything apropriate. For me, this was all the purple parts (including buttons). Give it a couple of coats if required.
Also, and i figure with the handling, this is quite important, when dry add a spray top-coat to protect the paintwork and keep it from rubbing off on stuff.

3. When dry, reassemble everything.

I also chose to cover the labels (such as the ATi one, the one under the lid and the one underneath) with masking tape, to be removed after painting, to keep them visible. I covered the rubber feet on the front too, as i'd have needed some other tools to remove them.

Now, this isn't exactly a basic job, you'll need to be able to handle a screwdriver and keep all the pieces organised well, and you'll certainly need a good range of phillips (cross) head screwdrivers to cope with all the screws in there, and as well as forefitting your warranty, you risk it not working when it goes back together (i was nervous as i fired it up after re-assembly :^) ).
You'll also need a specially shaped head to get into the 4 main screws in the case (available from lik-sang) and a long barrelled socketed screwdriver (any diy or nerdy electronics store).

However, it looks the nuts. Much nicer than purple (well, i prefer it :^) ), and because of the way the cube is assembled, it should look very professional when done. Mine now looks, for the most part, like it was born blue :^)

Problems? Well, as one of the pictures shows, the ATi sticker took a bit of paint at the bottom, a shame as the other two made it out pretty much perfectly). Instead of spraying over it completely though, i prefer to look on it as a cool battle scar.
Also, the open button is a little less smooth than it once was, but not seriously.

Other than that, it's all worked out as well as i could have hoped.

While i was at it, i sprayed my 4gamers memory card in the same colour. The card itself is very unreliable, and i don't use it any more, but it's nice to have a matching one there.

Doing the card itself was incredibly simple. If opening up your whole console intimidates you, this could be a better option - 2 screws, 2 bits a plastic, a circuit board and a bit of mettle. Simple stuff.
Keep in mind thouh that official cards have tricky screws needing a special screwdriver head which i for one haven't come across anywhere. My 2 third party memory cards have phillips (cross) head screws, i expect most third party cards will be the same.

So, a few hours work, a tenner on paint (although i've not used much from either can), and i had to buy screwdrivers, you can probably borrow suitable ones though. Oh, and around a fiver for the special screwdriver head.

And now my gamecube is unique and frankly downright beautiful :^)

I'd say it was worth it.

*Disclaimer - if you want to try and do this, it's nothing to do with me, you're on your own. I accept no responsobility whatsoever if you balls it up. The whole post only describes what i chose to do to my cube. If you want to do something similar, you chose to, and take the risks yourself.
Nothing to do with me :^P
Sun 15/09/02 at 21:24
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Cool, i'd like a nice red one.. Mmmmm and sexy black standard controllers.

Maybe silver. That would be the nuts..
Sun 15/09/02 at 10:43
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Eventually I guess they'll release other colours. maybe we can get the Spice one over here for Christmas? And in the USA Nintendo are going to release a 'Fusion Pack', consisting of Metroid Prime, A silver GameCube, and a silver controller.
Sun 15/09/02 at 01:39
Regular
"One Of A Kind"
Yeah nice colour there dr duck, i saw a similar thing to this in the g force magazine i bought the other day someone had painted there gamecube in the colours of a Nes looked well good indeed. Will nintendo every release any other colours themselves?
Sun 15/09/02 at 01:30
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
i bought my gamecube black and i like it like that
Sun 15/09/02 at 00:49
Regular
LOL!
Sat 14/09/02 at 23:22
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Nice colour there.

I can just imagine a nice silvery one, as Microchips wants.

OOOOO AAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!

;)
Sat 14/09/02 at 22:30
Regular
Anyone remember the site where they do custom jobs on consoles? I'm seriously considering getting it down [properly]. That is, if my brother agrees and I can bear to part with it for a couple of weeks.. ^_^;
Sat 14/09/02 at 22:10
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
Hey Dr. Duck could I buy the remains of the cool blue spray paint off you :) I think that colour rocks and I wanna spray my 64 controller (the grey one) but can't be bothered to go buy a whole can of paint. :)
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:27
Regular
That looks really good, I'd do mine in Red or something but i'd most likely break it so I won't bother.
Sat 14/09/02 at 21:17
Regular
"keep your receipt"
I know I mentioned this site ages ago but its worth pointing out again...www.colorconsoles.com

: )

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.