GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Learning to drive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 06/07/08 at 13:42
Regular
I've just turned 28 and I still can't drive. There's quite a few reasons why I've never bothered, the main one being I just don't have the money. One of the other reasons is I'm a little worried about having an accident. My older brother lost his fiancee when they got in a crash and my younger brother and dad have been in a few accidents aswell.

I hate being on fast rides and always shut my eyes on rollercoasters. I even have those panic sensations when Im in the front passenger seat and the person driving goes too fast towards bends or up hills. I guess it's because I have no control, I'm not behind the wheel and I'm not the one with the foot over the brakes.

I don't really know much about cars. My older brother helps run the British Car Auction (BCA) in Peterborough and my younger brother drives lots of vehicles at the golf course hotel where he works. Even my girlfriend who use to work for her families car rental business knows more about cars than I do.

So anyway, I got a provisional licence when I was 18 but that was only so I could get into pubs. It was just a bit of paper so the bouncers would ask you what your star sign was incase you were using someone elses.

In 2004 I finally got one of those new photo card provisional licences, only again this wasnt so I could drive but so I could open up a bank account as they wanted photo ID. However at the same time my younger brother was taking his practical test, I did the written test which now had video clips you had to watch. We both passed and I was very pleased as was my dad who sadly died of cancer a week later.

I think they've changed the written test again, it's annoying because I have to do it a second time as they're only valid for 2 years. Can't believe I never got round to doing some lessons but I hear they're quite expensive. Probably even more so now that the price of petrol has gone up. My mum said her little car costs £8 more to fill up than when she got it a few years ago.

My reasons for wanting to drive is because I finally have some money and I really want to be more independent. Although public transport in Singapore is wonderful my work involves travelling in America and you just can't do anything without a car there. Have any of you driven over there at all? I'm sure you have some experience Garin and pb.

So where do I start? I don't think watching Top Gear will teach me anything about driving. My dad always wanted us to do what he did when he was young, by taking a car apart and putting it back together. That sounds awfully messy.

Maybe I should buy some books and other learning material and just study it all again. Then I'll get my brother to give me a tour of his car and tell me what everything is and what it does. After that I'll convince him to let me have a few goes in his car before I start looking for a driving instructor.

For me I need to be well prepared before I do anything. It's just like with Final Fantasy VII when I spent 80 hours building up Cloud and the gang before heading off to kill Sephiroth. I want to be good at driving before I even have my first lesson infront of the wheel. Or is that a bad idea?

---

The reason why I'm starting this thread is because I want to hear of your own experiences with learning to drive. So heres a few questions for you if you've finished reading this and have no idea how to reply.

How much were your lessons and how many did you do?

How did you find the lessons and was your instructor helpful?

Did you pass on your first attempt?

What was your first car?

What car are you driving now?

Do you suffer from road rage at all?

Since learning to drive, have you been involved in any accidents or bumps?

And finally, what great advice could you give me that you wish you knew when you started learning to drive?
Thu 31/07/08 at 02:02
Regular
Got my fake drivers license last week, check and mate =P
Wed 30/07/08 at 22:16
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Speak for yourself. I was a perfectly responsible 17 year old. Tut tut
Wed 30/07/08 at 22:12
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Its I think because I was itching to learn and at 17 youre not too interested in the patience of learning! I just got in the car and took off (and crashed soon after!)
Wed 30/07/08 at 22:10
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Thats because you're bad
Wed 30/07/08 at 21:58
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Am I the only one who didnt bother with lessons or books/DVDs or any of that?

I noticed a lot of my friends had lessons and bought rules of the road etc, and had pre tests before their test, but I never bothered with any of that at all.
Tue 15/07/08 at 00:17
Regular
Machie wrote:
> Got my brother to give me a tour of his car and teach me all the
> basics. It was going really well until we did the licence plate
> reading which I failed completely. I just cant focus on any of
> the letters or numbers. *pout* Looks like I'm going to need
> glasses if I want to pass my driving test.
>
> Apparently this is how my dad first learnt that he needed
> glasses.
>
> You don't think it might be because I spent the last 13 years of
> my life infront of a PC, 9 hours a day do you?

well it could be that because i've found that my eyes are giving me jipp and ive only been sitting playing football manager 2008 for a few hours a day since i finished school for the last month or so...
Mon 14/07/08 at 21:14
Regular
Got my brother to give me a tour of his car and teach me all the basics. It was going really well until we did the licence plate reading which I failed completely. I just cant focus on any of the letters or numbers. *pout* Looks like I'm going to need glasses if I want to pass my driving test.

Apparently this is how my dad first learnt that he needed glasses.

You don't think it might be because I spent the last 13 years of my life infront of a PC, 9 hours a day do you?
Sun 13/07/08 at 21:01
Regular
Being able to drive is quite important to my work now. I use to manage without one but then I became more dependant on other people so it'll be great to have freedom to drive whenever and wherever I want.
Sun 13/07/08 at 19:24
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> I'm 21 now and I still can't drive :-

Question to all:

Could you apply for a job in today's market, your first or otherwise, and hope to be successful without a driving licence on you cv?

A 19yr old started two weeks ago at my workplace and spent 3 hours on the bus each day to get to and from work. She's now passed her test and also had the presence of mind to have bought a car in readiness for the 'great day'. She's over the moon:-)
Sun 13/07/08 at 17:34
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I'm 21 now and I still can't drive :-\
I had a go with it last summer, if I remember right, lessons were about £17 per hour. I had about 8 or 9 lessons then uni started up again and I never got around to booking any more; partly through laziness, partly due to the cost issue and partly because I didn't really enjoy it. I'm probably going to be alright for the next year as I'm (probably) still going to be at uni but after that I'll struggle to get a job around here without a car. Given that I'll have £3.5k of tuition fees and no student loan, God knows how I'm going to afford driving lessons.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.