GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Game) Unreal Tournament III Xbox 360 "

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Unreal Tournament III'.
Sat 05/07/08 at 08:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Unreal Tournament 3 is a first person shooting game created by the developers Epic (who made the fantastic Gears Of War).Because of this connection this game is obviously going to be constantly compared to it.The first point I would like to make is apart from that fact that it is obviously a shooter and some of the characters are virtual clones of Marcus and co. the two games are nothing alike.

There is no run,dive,get into cover,shoot,get back into cover style gameplay as in Gears,this is pure 'run and gun' stuff.Fast,furious and frantic action all the way.If you stay stationery for more than 10 seconds the chances are its respawn time !.There is certainly no tactical gameplay element as in say the Rainbow Six games.Some may argue that in this respect the gameplay is pretty shallow.Shallow ?,perhaps but fun for sure and sometimes I feel people forget that gaming is supposed to be just that.

As with Gears Of War the game is powered by Epics Unreal Engine.Graphically the textures are absolutely stunning as there were in Gears but here they move at a much faster rate.Even so there is no hint of slowdown regardless of how much action seems to be going on.There are no frame rate issues at all which is quite unbelievable.Technically the game is a work of art when and when seeing it running it is hard not to be impressed.

There is a great selection of weapons,vehicles and maps available here.Apparently five of the maps are exclusive to Xbox 360 version.One feature of the game I have found a little difficult to get the hang of is the weapon selection.You can carry a virtual arsenal and can either scroll horizontally through them or select one from a pie chart style display.With the gameplay being so fast and frantic you really just seem to be grabbing anything you have some ammo for and using it before repeating the process.There seems little opportunity for making a carefully considered decision (by the time you have made it you wont be around to use it!).Weapons,ammo,health packs etc. can be picked up through the playing areas and are readily available.

The game is geared very much towards being a multiplayer experience.There is the usual selection of modes : Deathmatch,Team Deathmatch,Capture The Flag etc. and one called 'Warfare' where you have to carry burning globes to power up and defend your base while trying to destroy the enemys.I think that was the point of it (the split was about 50/50 between players who seemed to know what they were doing and those who hadn't got a clue!).There is a single player campaign but in reality it is little more than a collection of multiplayer games played with computer controlled opponents.There is a split screen two player mode but apart from that there really isn't much to do on it offline.I thought I would mention this aspect of it as for sure you are not going to get anything like the best from this game if you do not have Xbox live.

From the main menu you can watch an exclusive video of multiplayer footage taken from Epics forthcoming Gears Of War 2.I can honestly say it looks absolutely amazing.But if you were looking for some shooting action to keep you busy until that comes out in November you could do an awful lot worse than getting Unreal Tournament 3.

Up there with Gears Of War and Call Of Duty 4 and much better than Halo 3 IMO.This is one of the best and most fun shooters available for the Xbox 360.

8.5/10
Sat 05/07/08 at 08:19
Regular
"I like turtles"
Unreal Tournament 3 is a first person shooting game created by the developers Epic (who made the fantastic Gears Of War).Because of this connection this game is obviously going to be constantly compared to it.The first point I would like to make is apart from that fact that it is obviously a shooter and some of the characters are virtual clones of Marcus and co. the two games are nothing alike.

There is no run,dive,get into cover,shoot,get back into cover style gameplay as in Gears,this is pure 'run and gun' stuff.Fast,furious and frantic action all the way.If you stay stationery for more than 10 seconds the chances are its respawn time !.There is certainly no tactical gameplay element as in say the Rainbow Six games.Some may argue that in this respect the gameplay is pretty shallow.Shallow ?,perhaps but fun for sure and sometimes I feel people forget that gaming is supposed to be just that.

As with Gears Of War the game is powered by Epics Unreal Engine.Graphically the textures are absolutely stunning as there were in Gears but here they move at a much faster rate.Even so there is no hint of slowdown regardless of how much action seems to be going on.There are no frame rate issues at all which is quite unbelievable.Technically the game is a work of art when and when seeing it running it is hard not to be impressed.

There is a great selection of weapons,vehicles and maps available here.Apparently five of the maps are exclusive to Xbox 360 version.One feature of the game I have found a little difficult to get the hang of is the weapon selection.You can carry a virtual arsenal and can either scroll horizontally through them or select one from a pie chart style display.With the gameplay being so fast and frantic you really just seem to be grabbing anything you have some ammo for and using it before repeating the process.There seems little opportunity for making a carefully considered decision (by the time you have made it you wont be around to use it!).Weapons,ammo,health packs etc. can be picked up through the playing areas and are readily available.

The game is geared very much towards being a multiplayer experience.There is the usual selection of modes : Deathmatch,Team Deathmatch,Capture The Flag etc. and one called 'Warfare' where you have to carry burning globes to power up and defend your base while trying to destroy the enemys.I think that was the point of it (the split was about 50/50 between players who seemed to know what they were doing and those who hadn't got a clue!).There is a single player campaign but in reality it is little more than a collection of multiplayer games played with computer controlled opponents.There is a split screen two player mode but apart from that there really isn't much to do on it offline.I thought I would mention this aspect of it as for sure you are not going to get anything like the best from this game if you do not have Xbox live.

From the main menu you can watch an exclusive video of multiplayer footage taken from Epics forthcoming Gears Of War 2.I can honestly say it looks absolutely amazing.But if you were looking for some shooting action to keep you busy until that comes out in November you could do an awful lot worse than getting Unreal Tournament 3.

Up there with Gears Of War and Call Of Duty 4 and much better than Halo 3 IMO.This is one of the best and most fun shooters available for the Xbox 360.

8.5/10
Mon 07/07/08 at 01:28
"possibly impossible"
It's a good little game, I love being able to download maps and characters (some of which will be on the 360 disc, which is a nice touch) but it's annoying that MS won't let them use user-created content on the 360 version.

Not sure I'd have paid full price for it, though.
Mon 07/07/08 at 07:35
Regular
"I like turtles"
pb wrote:
> It's a good little game, I love being able to download maps and
> characters (some of which will be on the 360 disc, which is a
> nice touch) but it's annoying that MS won't let them use
> user-created content on the 360 version.
>
> Not sure I'd have paid full price for it, though.

I suppose that is M$ all over though isn't it?.My mate has downloaded loads of user created maps for COD 4 for his PC but you cannot do that on the 360 either.I paid £27 for UT 3 which I don't think is too bad.I have paid around £10 more for new games in the past which I have not enjoyed playing half as much as this.One gripe (nothing to do with game itself though) is how have some players got to be so good at it already ?.Its only been out a couple of days and yet some people are unbelievable at it already.I've gone back to playing the single player mode for a bit.Its not that exactly the greatest campaign mode seen in a game but its good for getting some practice on (before getting murdered again online !).
Mon 07/07/08 at 11:55
"possibly impossible"
Probably find they had the import for a while.

Anyway, the PS3 version does allow user content, but the only issue I have with it is that it only allows you to import one file at a time and that file has to be on the root of a memory stick/card etc, which means you'll have to go back and forward between the PC and PS3 for every level/character upload.

It's only a small part of the game, however, so it would still be worth having on the 360.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.