GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are SMS free yet?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/07/08 at 11:17
Regular
The last time I had a mobile, it cost 20p to send a txt message. That was almost a decade ago and since then a lot has changed. I went from a 56k modem to an 8MB broadband line. So now I can send and receive a smeg load of data. So does that mean SMS are free now or practically free? How much data does an SMS use, about 160 bytes perhaps? Certainly shouldnt cost the companies 12p to 20p anymore.

The reason I bring this up is because I just read an article about AT&T SMS prices. Apparently 1 Megabyte of SMS would cost $1,310.72 :S
Sun 06/07/08 at 14:27
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
I love the Meteor network here, free texts for life to anyone else on Meteor, which is just about everyone I know.
Sat 05/07/08 at 10:31
Regular
"Mad as a badger!"
I'm currently still old school with my mobile contract. I joined 02 when it was Genie back in the day. £15 a month I get 250 texts and 50 minutes to a landline after 7pm every day. Kinda crappy when it comes to phone calls, specially to mobiles, but for texts - which I do most, it's not bad.
Fri 04/07/08 at 20:59
Regular
Im on Virgin, Got the whole summer (May to end of September) Of FREE TXTS.
Fri 04/07/08 at 19:45
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
i like the orange deal im on.

if i top up £10, i get 300 free texts next month (£20 gives 600 and so forth)

:]
Fri 04/07/08 at 09:42
Regular
Ah that's not so bad then as long as you use them all and get your moneys worth.
Thu 03/07/08 at 20:44
"possibly impossible"
Quite happy with Vodafone for most things, cheap calls, good coverage here (most of the time). Even BT are using them for their new BT Anywhere thing.
Thu 03/07/08 at 19:57
Regular
"Mooching around"
O2 are the best here I reckon, on their new pay-and-go packages when you top up £10 you get 300 free texts, 1Mb of data or something like 100 mins; £20 gets you something like 1000 free texts, 5Mb of data or something like 500 mins; £30 gets you unlimited free texts, 10Mb of data or 1000 mins.
Thu 03/07/08 at 17:42
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
pb wrote:
> No sports cars any more Tony?

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid 1.4 CVA. Does that count?

> T-mobile wouldn't be my first choice, mind, the coverage isn't
> very good and I've heard many a bad thing about their customer
> service and calls to other networks.

Coverage on T-Mobile is rubbish, let's hope I don't break down in the wrong place.

> Good to see you around, by the way!

Thanks. I would spend more time if I could...... lots to do, must go, keep up the good work.
Thu 03/07/08 at 17:08
"possibly impossible"
Tony wrote:

> PS - I don't send any texts, this is not my tariff and I only
> have a mobile phone in case my Morris Minor breaks down.

No sports cars any more Tony?

T-mobile wouldn't be my first choice, mind, the coverage isn't very good and I've heard many a bad thing about their customer service and calls to other networks.

Good to see you around, by the way!
Thu 03/07/08 at 16:50
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
T-Mobile Solo 20 (sim only) provides 500 minutes of anytime any network talk time plus unlimited texts (while the promotion lasts) for £20 per month. So if you did 500 minutes talking and 500 texts that would be 2p per minute plus 2p per text.

If you are an existing T-Mobile customer with a contract due for expiry and you don't need a new phone or a free laptop etc, then you should be able to negotiate a healthy loyalty discount on the £20 monthly charge.

In fact you get unlimited texts plus 200 texts, but the 200 texts always shows at zero because you can't reach the limit of the unlimited texts which I think is set at 99999.

PS - I don't send any texts, this is not my tariff and I only have a mobile phone in case my Morris Minor breaks down.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.