GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] The Incredible Hulk"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/06/08 at 08:17
Regular
"THFC"
The Incredible Hulk
As any of you who have read some of my previous reviews will be aware, marvel/superhero films are among my favourite and I go to them with high expectations, knowing that the wrong plot, use of characters or graphics can ruin what is a for me, potentially a great film.

Now we have seen the Hulk before, we saw the massive green beast running about the desert, being chased by helicopters, tanks and everything the army had to throw at him, while this film was mediocre at best, it still showed the Hulks power, and destructive side. The big question is does this film live up to its name, is it Incredible?

Story
While the opening credits are being flashed around the screen, you are given an insight to how Dr. Banner became the iconic green menace he is today, shown the various tests that are run on him and the people in his life who were there to experience it. We see that things go very wrong, very fast and it is within the first three minutes that we are shown what he is capable of, a lab is levelled and people he cared about are left hurt! Then, the running begins!

With the army after him for his capabilities in what they believe to be a potential weapon for the USA, Banner spends the next five years running from them, this is where the film really begins and the audience are shown some amazing sights of the suburbs in Brazil where our hero has been working in a bottling factory and learning to control his anger! We also see a few scenes of Banner talking to an alias of Mr. Blue via satellite on his rather ancient Dell Laptop, concerning a cure for his gamma radiation problem. Only armed with a sports watch he has to ensure his heart rate does not reach 200 – or else trouble begins!

Predictably, his location is given away and the Colonel who created him is fast on his tail with an elite squad of special forces, among them is a Yugoslavian named Blonsky, played very well by Tim Roth, he seems to have that eeriness about him which any villain should have! After a fantastic chase scene through Brazil we finally see The Hulk appear again. Making short work of the special forces and Blonsky, Dr. Banner gets away once more, realising if he wants the cure, he has to return to America.
Without proceeding further into the story, you canal ready tell that the film has a great opening, and is building up for some big fights and memorable scenes when he reaches America. The story only gets stronger from where I have left it and had me wide eyed and on the edge of my seat for the next hour and minutes to come.
Rating: 8.5/10

Graphics / CGI / Special FX
Such an important aspect in so many films these days, and so often it can be a factor which spoils a whole film, because the animations look too different from their surroundings, like they have just been dumped in. I am glad to tell you that this is not the case, everything from The Hulk to his nemesis Abomination look great, they fit in with every scene they are in, the shadowing, shades and movements look natural and flow as well as any I have seen in a film this year.
The budget was certainly high for this film, with explosions galore and destruction to any building unlucky enough to get in our oversized scientist’s way! As I have mentioned, it all looks real, from The Hulk being smashed through a block of flats, to a Police car being ripped in half and used as boxing gloves. It is the fact they had the money and took their time to make these aspects right that the film is as big as the hero who is in it!
Rating:9/10

Characters
Building a history for a character is key in developing them later on, and The Incredible Hulk does a wonderful job of showing past relations with other characters and has a few surprises to newcomers of the hero about relations.

Even the increasing competition between Blonsky and Banner can be seen during the films various clashes until the final face off – Hulk vs Abomination
We see and learn a lot about various characters in the film and all help build strength into the plot and allow it to seem more believable and real than if things were to just happen by accident.

Having some big name actors in the film like Ed Norton and Liv Tyler, you expect it to all be acted flawlessly and I suppose if your being fair then it is done pretty much as well as you could expect. The depth you learn about certain people is obviously, due to time, not as great as more hardcore fans may want, but it will keep any average watcher very happy
Rating:8.5/10

Overall
In the second paragraph I asked the question on if the film lives up to its name, and you have to give credit to the director and cast, they have made an Incredible film for everyone to enjoy. If you have never seen or heard of the Hulk then you will still enjoy this film, avid readers of the comic should have enough to satisfy them and you even get to hear the classic catch phrase: “HULK SMASH!!” this along with the big purple shorts that make an appearance give a lighter side to what marvel comics often have.

I am very happy with this film and have been talking about it since I left the screen, a well spent £5 on a ticket (the £3.50 for popcorn was not so enjoyable!)
Thu 19/06/08 at 08:17
Regular
"THFC"
The Incredible Hulk
As any of you who have read some of my previous reviews will be aware, marvel/superhero films are among my favourite and I go to them with high expectations, knowing that the wrong plot, use of characters or graphics can ruin what is a for me, potentially a great film.

Now we have seen the Hulk before, we saw the massive green beast running about the desert, being chased by helicopters, tanks and everything the army had to throw at him, while this film was mediocre at best, it still showed the Hulks power, and destructive side. The big question is does this film live up to its name, is it Incredible?

Story
While the opening credits are being flashed around the screen, you are given an insight to how Dr. Banner became the iconic green menace he is today, shown the various tests that are run on him and the people in his life who were there to experience it. We see that things go very wrong, very fast and it is within the first three minutes that we are shown what he is capable of, a lab is levelled and people he cared about are left hurt! Then, the running begins!

With the army after him for his capabilities in what they believe to be a potential weapon for the USA, Banner spends the next five years running from them, this is where the film really begins and the audience are shown some amazing sights of the suburbs in Brazil where our hero has been working in a bottling factory and learning to control his anger! We also see a few scenes of Banner talking to an alias of Mr. Blue via satellite on his rather ancient Dell Laptop, concerning a cure for his gamma radiation problem. Only armed with a sports watch he has to ensure his heart rate does not reach 200 – or else trouble begins!

Predictably, his location is given away and the Colonel who created him is fast on his tail with an elite squad of special forces, among them is a Yugoslavian named Blonsky, played very well by Tim Roth, he seems to have that eeriness about him which any villain should have! After a fantastic chase scene through Brazil we finally see The Hulk appear again. Making short work of the special forces and Blonsky, Dr. Banner gets away once more, realising if he wants the cure, he has to return to America.
Without proceeding further into the story, you canal ready tell that the film has a great opening, and is building up for some big fights and memorable scenes when he reaches America. The story only gets stronger from where I have left it and had me wide eyed and on the edge of my seat for the next hour and minutes to come.
Rating: 8.5/10

Graphics / CGI / Special FX
Such an important aspect in so many films these days, and so often it can be a factor which spoils a whole film, because the animations look too different from their surroundings, like they have just been dumped in. I am glad to tell you that this is not the case, everything from The Hulk to his nemesis Abomination look great, they fit in with every scene they are in, the shadowing, shades and movements look natural and flow as well as any I have seen in a film this year.
The budget was certainly high for this film, with explosions galore and destruction to any building unlucky enough to get in our oversized scientist’s way! As I have mentioned, it all looks real, from The Hulk being smashed through a block of flats, to a Police car being ripped in half and used as boxing gloves. It is the fact they had the money and took their time to make these aspects right that the film is as big as the hero who is in it!
Rating:9/10

Characters
Building a history for a character is key in developing them later on, and The Incredible Hulk does a wonderful job of showing past relations with other characters and has a few surprises to newcomers of the hero about relations.

Even the increasing competition between Blonsky and Banner can be seen during the films various clashes until the final face off – Hulk vs Abomination
We see and learn a lot about various characters in the film and all help build strength into the plot and allow it to seem more believable and real than if things were to just happen by accident.

Having some big name actors in the film like Ed Norton and Liv Tyler, you expect it to all be acted flawlessly and I suppose if your being fair then it is done pretty much as well as you could expect. The depth you learn about certain people is obviously, due to time, not as great as more hardcore fans may want, but it will keep any average watcher very happy

Overall
In the second paragraph I asked the question on if the film lives up to its name, and you have to give credit to the director and cast, they have made an Incredible film for everyone to enjoy. If you have never seen or heard of the Hulk then you will still enjoy this film, avid readers of the comic should have enough to satisfy them and you even get to hear the classic catch phrase: “HULK SMASH!!” this along with the big purple shorts that make an appearance give a lighter side to what marvel comics often have.

I am very happy with this film and have been talking about it since I left the screen, a well spent £5 on a ticket (the £3.50 for popcorn was not so enjoyable!)
Thu 19/06/08 at 14:41
"possibly impossible"
Good review, glad you liked the film. I've got the first on DVD, despite not finding it as good as it should have been, so I've had my fingers crossed for this one.

Surprised you didn't mention the cameo by Lou Ferringno and the fact he does the voice, oh and the very clever 'cameo' by the late Bill Bixby too.
Thu 19/06/08 at 14:44
Regular
"THFC"
Well the best surprise for any Marvel fan is the appearnace of a certain somebody in the bar at the end!

I know that made me smile!
Fri 27/06/08 at 14:52
"possibly impossible"
Well done on the GAD!
Fri 27/06/08 at 16:56
Regular
"I like turtles"
Well done mate !.
Fri 27/06/08 at 18:14
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks a lot!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.