GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"try and figure this out ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/08/02 at 02:03
Regular
you may have already heard it, and it is rather simple, hopefully I'll catch some people out ......

3 old ladies visit a restaurant. they all order the same thing, a sunday lunch at £5 each. after the meal, they each give £5 to the waiter, a total of £15. The waiter takes the money to the cash register, where another waiter informs him, that the TOTAL bill (special price today only), is only £10. With the remaining £5 in his hand, the waiter returns to the table, giving each old lady £1 back, while secretly pocketing the other £2. The old ladies are unaware of the real price, and are happy to receive money back each.

Here is the riddle : If the three old ladies have now only paid £4 each (having received a pound back each) 3 x 4 = £12
and the waiter pocketed £2, 12 + 2 = £14, where has the other pound gone (there was originally £15) ???

got any better ones??
Mon 19/08/02 at 16:36
£5 for a sunday lunch is quite good, what was in it, an whre is this restaurant? is it oap prices?
Sat 17/08/02 at 16:23
Regular
excellent, it battered some of your heads then, I'm not mentally challenged after all ....
Fri 16/08/02 at 12:58
Regular
Nah, you can't do 3 x £4 + £2, cos you're adding money paid with money removed. There's no reason to connect these. It's just wrong.

3 x £5 - 3 x £1 (the £4 each) = £12 = £10 + £2 (restaurant + waiter)

So, the old ladies have paid £12 (4 each).
£10 to the restaurant, £2 to the waiter.
Fri 16/08/02 at 12:39
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
There can be no answer it is a trick of arithmetic.
Fri 16/08/02 at 11:03
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
lalakersrule wrote:

> haven't you counted the £3 twice? the old ladies have had their
> discount so that's already the £3 gone. so you got the 3 x
> £4 = £12 and the waiter's tip which is £2 so that
> brings it to £14.
> I remember hearing this on a local radio show and the host had to say
> for about 2 hours there was no answer it's one of those unanswerable
> question.

No you spanner!

think about it
meal = £10
Waiters pocket =£2
Money returned to Old ladys = £3

10+2+3 = 15

(p.s spanner is an affectionate insult)

Ros
Fri 16/08/02 at 10:13
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Rosalind wrote:

> the three old ladies have now only paid 4 each (having received a
> pound back each)towards the meal and 'tip' for the waiter 3 x 4 =
> £12, and the £3 has gone back to the three old ladys(there
> was originally £15)
>
> All clear now?
>
> This one actually did take me awhile to work out though Doh!
>
> Ros

haven't you counted the £3 twice? the old ladies have had their discount so that's already the £3 gone. so you got the 3 x £4 = £12 and the waiter's tip which is £2 so that brings it to £14.
I remember hearing this on a local radio show and the host had to say for about 2 hours there was no answer it's one of those unanswerable question.
Fri 16/08/02 at 08:19
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
> Here is the riddle : If the three old ladies have now only paid
> £4 each (having received a pound back each) 3 x 4 = £12
> and the waiter pocketed £2, 12 + 2 = £14, where has the
> other pound gone (there was originally £15) ???

Okay so....

The three old ladys have now paid £10 to the restaurant for their meal, and £2 to the waiter as a 'tip' ;). = £12. The other £3 is now safely back in the odd ladys pockets (bless 'em).

What is wrong abouve is that you have counted the £2 that the waiter kept twicw. Once in the payment for the meal and once where you say and the waiter pocketed £2. BUT you have failed to take into account what the old ladys were given back so....

....what it says abouve should read....

the three old ladies have now only paid 4 each (having received a pound back each)towards the meal and 'tip' for the waiter 3 x 4 = £12, and the £3 has gone back to the three old ladys(there was originally £15)

All clear now?

This one actually did take me awhile to work out though Doh!

Ros
Fri 16/08/02 at 02:03
Regular
you may have already heard it, and it is rather simple, hopefully I'll catch some people out ......

3 old ladies visit a restaurant. they all order the same thing, a sunday lunch at £5 each. after the meal, they each give £5 to the waiter, a total of £15. The waiter takes the money to the cash register, where another waiter informs him, that the TOTAL bill (special price today only), is only £10. With the remaining £5 in his hand, the waiter returns to the table, giving each old lady £1 back, while secretly pocketing the other £2. The old ladies are unaware of the real price, and are happy to receive money back each.

Here is the riddle : If the three old ladies have now only paid £4 each (having received a pound back each) 3 x 4 = £12
and the waiter pocketed £2, 12 + 2 = £14, where has the other pound gone (there was originally £15) ???

got any better ones??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.