Freeola Internet Get Dotted Domains Blog Guides Chat

Viewing Thread:

'Scam Warning: Shopper Discounts & Rewards'

Tue 03/06/08 at 18:59:
Regular
Hello guys. I'm sorry to say I've become a victim to a horrible internet scam. :( Not the best thing to happen with my birthday coming up.

It all started when I bought some coach tickets with National Express to take my girlfriend back to the airport. After I made the booking they flashed up this thing about Shopper Discounts & Rewards. Offering £10 on my next National Express purchase. It all seemed to have the support of National Express so I signed up on the site and forgot about it.

Then today I checked my online credit card bill (which I hardly use) and I noticed I've been charged £8 last month and the month before. I couldn't understand it because I never gave them my credit card details and in no way did they make it clear that I was signing up for a membership at £8 a month. (Okay they probably hid it in the small print)

Apparently National Express passed on my credit card details and that's how they were able to take money from me.

I've since called them up and cancelled the membership. They also gave me a refund for the first month, so I still lose money for not spotting this sooner. *pout*

I also sent National Express a harsh email about this but I doubt they'll take any notice.

So I hope others can learn from my mistake. Avoid Shopper Discounts & Rewards, unless you're happy to give them £8 a month.

Other companies passing out credit card details after a purchase are: Interflora, easyJet, Expedia, vistaprint, allposters, ctshirts, electricshopping and Millet Sports.
Sat 06/04/13 at 10:11:
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I've seen this pop up from time to time when I've been ordering stuff.

That's a great website by the way DL the amount of savings you can make following Martin's advice is amazing.
Fri 05/04/13 at 20:20:
DL
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I'll try again ... it's been going on for years and still is ...

MSE Forums

... take your pick of 'Shopper Discounts & Rewards' threads!

@Hmmm, link probably doesn't work for all because of 'cookies'
Thu 04/04/13 at 21:22:
Regular
I contacted my bank for lost card and was told that recently £10 have gone out of my account to Shopper Discount & Rewards. Then bank further told me it has been regularly being paid since April 2010..!! I have no recollection of issuing any instructions for these payments. They must have stolen my card information from the purchase I made on internet or a shop. What a Fraud. One can not be too careful of these robbers. I have demanded full refund
Wed 11/07/12 at 19:15:
DL
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Nope!
I'm guessing their 'searchid' string thingie times out after so long.
i.e. It isn't a permanent link

Thought that last night when I reposted ... but what the heck, just go to MSE and top right 'search' enter 'Shopper Discounts & Rewards' and select 'forums' ... plenty there to choose from!

Enough to suggest that this has happened to too many people over the years and really should be sorted out.
Wed 11/07/12 at 09:04:
"Are you sure?"
DL wrote:
How about this one then:

Nope!
I'm guessing their 'searchid' string thingie times out after so long.
i.e. It isn't a permanent link

Hmmm...
Tue 10/07/12 at 22:14:
DL
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
How odd? ... but trust you :¬P

How about this one then:

Shopper Discount at MSE

Permanent? Of course it was ... I've been a member for a few years!!!

EDIT (again): Link still works Hmmm @ 23.02 ;¬)
Tue 10/07/12 at 17:50:
"Are you sure?"
DL wrote:
Pick any thread you like :¬)

For me that returned:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
I'm guessing your link wasn't a permanent one

Going by the number of views this thread has had it's obviously a popular search out on the interweb!

Hmmm...

EDIT: A Google on Shopper Discounts scam
Mon 09/07/12 at 23:01:
DL
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
bailiff wrote:
What I find amazing is that letters on here go back to June 2008.
surely something should have been done in 4 years

Welcome to the Forums bailiff ...

It's been going on for a lot longer ...

Shopper Discounts etc

Pick any thread you like :¬)
Mon 09/07/12 at 20:33:
Regular
What I find amazing is that letters on here go back to June 2008.
surely something should have been done in 4 years
Mon 09/07/12 at 18:14:
Regular
I too found I have a debit to my bank account for £10 a month
after a purchase from Premierman.
They have promised a claim form for me to get back all debited== I may be lucky !!
be warned and check your bank statements for anything to do with these con merchants

Freeola is a UK internet service provider offering the best value and extensive free services. Please compare our domain name registration prices or check out our UK high speed internet access. If you are in business please see examples of our free hosting at Freeola.com/customer-sites.

Safe and Secure Payment