GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers' Internet Petition"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/08/02 at 11:15
Regular
I was flicking through my copy of PSW the other day, only to find that some joker's started up a web petition to have the name of 'The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers' changed in light of the events of September 11th. Apparently, on the site it states "The director has decided to tastelessly name the sequel The Two Towers, a clear reference to the attacks on the world trade centre. Here are some of the more humorous responses:

----------

Agreed:
[Most of these people obviously don’t know a thing about The Lord Of The Rings]

“Peter Jackson, have you no shame? You should be thrown into prison for trying to capitalise of the 9-11 attacks. Why can’t you just name it ‘The Lord Of The Rings 2’?”

“I agree fully. This is a careless, heartless attempt at making more money by Peter Jackson. He knows naming his movie ‘The Two Towers’ will cause controversy, and will in turn cause people to go see it. And he cannot change the title because he knows it will flop otherwise. The controversial name is his only chance to get people into the theatres. Please, New Line Cinema and Peter Jackson, do the right thing and change the title.”

“I agree. And all those idiots who said the book was written before, that doesn’t mean they’re not cashing in. It is blatantly named after the Twin Towers. Idiots.”

Disagreed:
[These are some of the funniest things I’ve read in ages]

“The facts that movies were shot long before 9-11 and the books were written long before Elvis had a hit notwithstanding, any modifying of the title would result in free publicity for New Line, thus bringing more revenue for the film.”

“This has to be the single stupidest petition ever conceived. The moron who thought this up is obviously an illiterate ape who doesn’t deserve to live, let alone have access to a computer.”

“Change the title to ‘Dude, Where’s my Ring?’”

“I think we need to bulldoze that tower in Pisa too. The leaning tower is clearly a symbol that Italians hate the victims of September 11th.”

“What sort of morons sign this petition seriously?”

“Hello, I am Osama bin Laden, and yes, I did help Peter Jackson with the movie. I even helped Tolkien write the book fifty years ago.”

“It’s the name of the book! It came out in 1954! Get a grip!”

“While we’re at it, let’s ban the words ‘two’, ‘towers’, and ‘trade’ from all spoken language. We don’t want anybody to remotely be able to connect a stray thought to the Trade Towers.”

“Personally, the movie ‘The Muppets Take Manhattan’ causes me much more concern. The title alone implies The Muppets had something to do with the 9-11 attacks. I fear this will lead to racial stereotyping by law enforcement personnel against the Muppet population in the US.”

“Yeah, and I’m annoyed by the title of book three also. Let’s call it ‘The Return of the Democratically Elected Head of Government.’”

“OK, OK. You all convinced me. I am renaming the move ‘Anthrax Mailbag and the Shoe Bomb terrorists’. I hope this satisfies everyone.”
[Posted by someone purporting to be Peter Jackson]

----------

The above quotes were lifted straight from my copy of PSW, as a website address was not listed. My personal favourite was the Muppets Take Manhattan response.

Personally, I think this is a load of tripe and I suspect most of you will too. If anyone has the web address, more information, or perhaps another humorous response, post it here, so we can put these idiots in their place.
Thu 15/08/02 at 11:15
Regular
I was flicking through my copy of PSW the other day, only to find that some joker's started up a web petition to have the name of 'The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers' changed in light of the events of September 11th. Apparently, on the site it states "The director has decided to tastelessly name the sequel The Two Towers, a clear reference to the attacks on the world trade centre. Here are some of the more humorous responses:

----------

Agreed:
[Most of these people obviously don’t know a thing about The Lord Of The Rings]

“Peter Jackson, have you no shame? You should be thrown into prison for trying to capitalise of the 9-11 attacks. Why can’t you just name it ‘The Lord Of The Rings 2’?”

“I agree fully. This is a careless, heartless attempt at making more money by Peter Jackson. He knows naming his movie ‘The Two Towers’ will cause controversy, and will in turn cause people to go see it. And he cannot change the title because he knows it will flop otherwise. The controversial name is his only chance to get people into the theatres. Please, New Line Cinema and Peter Jackson, do the right thing and change the title.”

“I agree. And all those idiots who said the book was written before, that doesn’t mean they’re not cashing in. It is blatantly named after the Twin Towers. Idiots.”

Disagreed:
[These are some of the funniest things I’ve read in ages]

“The facts that movies were shot long before 9-11 and the books were written long before Elvis had a hit notwithstanding, any modifying of the title would result in free publicity for New Line, thus bringing more revenue for the film.”

“This has to be the single stupidest petition ever conceived. The moron who thought this up is obviously an illiterate ape who doesn’t deserve to live, let alone have access to a computer.”

“Change the title to ‘Dude, Where’s my Ring?’”

“I think we need to bulldoze that tower in Pisa too. The leaning tower is clearly a symbol that Italians hate the victims of September 11th.”

“What sort of morons sign this petition seriously?”

“Hello, I am Osama bin Laden, and yes, I did help Peter Jackson with the movie. I even helped Tolkien write the book fifty years ago.”

“It’s the name of the book! It came out in 1954! Get a grip!”

“While we’re at it, let’s ban the words ‘two’, ‘towers’, and ‘trade’ from all spoken language. We don’t want anybody to remotely be able to connect a stray thought to the Trade Towers.”

“Personally, the movie ‘The Muppets Take Manhattan’ causes me much more concern. The title alone implies The Muppets had something to do with the 9-11 attacks. I fear this will lead to racial stereotyping by law enforcement personnel against the Muppet population in the US.”

“Yeah, and I’m annoyed by the title of book three also. Let’s call it ‘The Return of the Democratically Elected Head of Government.’”

“OK, OK. You all convinced me. I am renaming the move ‘Anthrax Mailbag and the Shoe Bomb terrorists’. I hope this satisfies everyone.”
[Posted by someone purporting to be Peter Jackson]

----------

The above quotes were lifted straight from my copy of PSW, as a website address was not listed. My personal favourite was the Muppets Take Manhattan response.

Personally, I think this is a load of tripe and I suspect most of you will too. If anyone has the web address, more information, or perhaps another humorous response, post it here, so we can put these idiots in their place.
Thu 15/08/02 at 12:31
Regular
"\\"
the lord of the rings: The World Trade Center

now if it was called that i would agree, but soon as its not i wont agree
Thu 15/08/02 at 12:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yeah, heard about this a few weeks back. The reason there is no web site address to see this stupid partition is because the people who made it realised that Peter Jackson didn't create the name itself, but it was lifted from the 50-year-old book, so they dropped it.

It just shows how narrow minded and stupid these people where, not knowing the entire trilogy is based on a successful series of books that millions of people have read for years all over the world.
Thu 15/08/02 at 20:28
Regular
In fact, they were really giving a bad name to the September 11th attacks and being disrespectful themselves.
Thu 15/08/02 at 20:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Silly mongs. To the creator of that petition. I oWn j00!
Thu 15/08/02 at 20:48
Regular
"Here I am - TAKE ME"
You will be happy to know that you ARE able to view the petition - including some classic comments such as:

"Why are you people getting irate about this petition? There are a few simple facts here: (1) The sequeal was only completed recently. Movie studios dont make movies unless they thing they're make money off them; (2) Mr. Jackson named the sequal "The Two Towers" to capitalize on the 9/11 tragedy. (3) All this ranting about some "JR Tolkein" has nothing to do with the movie--they are only similarly named. If you have something to say to me, say it directly. You know where to e-mail me: [email protected]. Screaming cowards don't even use your real neams."

Anyway go to http://www.petitiononline.com/twotower/petition.html and revel in the sheer amount of hatred and stupidity one man has created/exposed.
Thu 15/08/02 at 22:27
I heard ages ago that the director was thinking about changing the name for that reason, but the actors, bless 'em, ganged up against him so he didn't. I liked the Dude Where's My Ring? best :D
And cipro has a very good point - I read the other day that the Lord Of The Rings has sold 2 copies EVERY SECOND since it was first published, 48 years ago! Have these people been living in a box?!? Maybe they were from Utah...
Thu 15/08/02 at 22:39
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Heh, some of those replies were quite amusing.

"Dude, where's my ring?" Quite liked that one.

If I ever find a similar petition (or indeed anyone else does) let me know, I'll be in there with some brilliatly witty comments to confuse and make them look like idiots.

Which they are :)
Fri 16/08/02 at 00:29
Regular
"col"
I never even noticed the similarity between it and the trade towers, the trade tower thing didnt bother me that much anyway so I rnt bothered
Fri 16/08/02 at 08:33
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
LOL @ stoopid petion

The World Trade Centre was called the TWIN towers the book was called the TWO towers. If someone was going to capitalise on the tragdy of Sept 11th, I'm sure they would get the name right.

Stoopid people

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.