GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why ban Jet Set Radio?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 17/11/00 at 22:40
Regular
I have been looking at the games news and see that some american states have banned Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast. Why? Well, it seems that they reckon the graffiti in the game will encourage people to go and do the same in their streets.
I bet these states still sell games like Quake and other violent games, so are they saying that it's okay to spray bullets into a room, fragging everyone in sight, or decapitate someone with a sword? I think they have a slight problem with reality. I like the look of Jet Set Radio and if it has a warning on the front then why should the authorities care?
Meanwhile, I will be getting Jet Set Radio after christmas to play on my new Dreamcast and you can bet I won't be encouraged to spray paint over any walls because of it!
Fri 17/11/00 at 22:40
I have been looking at the games news and see that some american states have banned Jet Set Radio on the Dreamcast. Why? Well, it seems that they reckon the graffiti in the game will encourage people to go and do the same in their streets.
I bet these states still sell games like Quake and other violent games, so are they saying that it's okay to spray bullets into a room, fragging everyone in sight, or decapitate someone with a sword? I think they have a slight problem with reality. I like the look of Jet Set Radio and if it has a warning on the front then why should the authorities care?
Meanwhile, I will be getting Jet Set Radio after christmas to play on my new Dreamcast and you can bet I won't be encouraged to spray paint over any walls because of it!
Fri 17/11/00 at 22:51
Regular
"Whatever!"
Unfortunately there are always some people out to cause controversy. These are the sort of idiots who will complain about a violent game then go and watch some violent film, maybe? Video games are just harmless fun and are just as entertaining as everything else.
Mind you after playing GTA 2 for eight hours non stop I had an urge to go out and steal a car!!
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:04
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
And after playing MGS for awhile I had the urge to sneak around and break locals necks >:-)
Then of course there was the recent time I played Doom and i just wanted to kill people with guns and chainsaws !
Mind you i think that was more outta boredom than the content of the game.........

Only kidding by the way - don't go calling the white jacket men on me yet !
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:16
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
In America, values are different. Graffiti is criminal damage, artists get killed trying to spray paint moving tube trains, people get wet paint on their thousand dollar suits, it can be offensive and can stir up racial hatred and gang warfare. It is a very serious offence, and should be stamped out hard at every opportunity.
However, throwing a grenade into a room and then following up with rapid fire from an uzi, taking out 10, maybe 20 guys at once and causing all kinds of bodily maiming and injury, is a way of life to them over there. Especially if you live in Waco, Texas.
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:23
"possibly impossible"
Not being a tiny bit cynical there are we? No, graffiti is dangerous, but people can tell the difference between games and reality. I've heard that Germany has banned most warfare games that are based on the second world war. The germans tend to come over here and buy them instead! It was the same with Doom.
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:27
Regular
PB, I am cynicism personified, irony incarnate, satire city. You should know that by now. However, if you want read a serious post, it's either when I post a new topic in a vain attempt to win Gameaday (I do try now and again, you know,) or when I start with the phrase 'Seriously'.

Seriously, I WAS wondering, does PB stand for Personal Best or was that just a fluke with your initials?
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:34
"possibly impossible"
Just my intials, but I like the idea! I've actually got the same surname as a famous poet,but I don't want to start that poetry topic up again!
Fri 17/11/00 at 23:39
Regular
Bordsworth? Bhelly? Beats? Bhakespeare?
Ah, I know, Best! But George was more noted for his football than his poetry.
There's a new footie game coming out to coincide with his movie, incidently. All the controls are programmed so that when you steer left he goes right, when you push up he goes down, and when you shoot to score he does a dive on the half-way line. Apparently it'll win awards for realism.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.