GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games V Music"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 13/08/02 at 15:02
Regular
The ying-yang of your typical teenage boy (or girl if you want) and also as far reaching as 20/30 and even 40-something year olds.

For the taste can be different for both sides. In the Gaming corner you have people who like 'brightly coloured cartoons' aka Nintendo and the Sony monkies 'keeping it real'. In the Music corner you have smelly goths in Slipknot hoodies who 'like hate everything' and Adidas ridden 'club boppers' drunk on half a bottle of Miller.

Everyone however comes under the agreement that games and music:

rock/cool/rule/wicked/mental/cool/rock/rule/wicked man

So what rocks (as above) the most out of these entertainment giants?

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE

So which creates the more fun factor etc? In my opinion GAMES wins this.

You can play for hours... rule the world, shoot stuff, drive cars fast, explore new worlds etc. With music a gig or playing in a band can generate this but they are not as frequent and usually you just listen to CD in you're room.

COST

Which is better value for money? In my opinion MUSIC wins this.

For starters to play music you need to buy a CD Player. This could be expensive or cheap. Either way it does the job and can do the job well for a number of years and apart from updates from LP-CD-MD you don't need to update it like a games consoles just to play the latest music.

Also an average album is about £10... in this you get 12 songs which can inspire you etc and that you can play over and over again without getting bored... also it will never go out of date... well in the eye of the beholder. Meanwhile Games consoles cost a pretty bob and need replacing and updated... while a game costs £30-£40 and will be out of date etc.

MULTIPLAYER

What's best playing with your mates? In my opinion it's a DRAW

For Games you can invite your mates over and blow each other up and such acts. Creating great fun and much taunting at how you fight like a girl. A perfect night with booze and junk food.

For Music you can play in a band and enjoy the rock and roll life with your best friends and have a great time with a chance of being famous.
Once again a perfect night with booze and junk food.

HYPE

What's better? New CD by favourite band or new fantastic game? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Having a favourite band is great, you buy all their CD's, read interviews, be inspired by them and when something by them appears there is nothing more exciting, especially if it's their best stuff... or even when they announce tour you wake up at 7 and have 12 phones going trying to buy tickets.

With Games it's alright I suppose. "Oh a new game, I might get it" says average Joe Gamer whilst he throws the game he bought last week in with the pile. The hype of a new console release is quite big but is rare and overall boring.

COPY-CAT

Making your very own games or music. In my opinion MUSIC wins

This one is a walk-over for music. You can go out to shops and buy a guitar/bass/drums/keyboard/saxophone etc and learn it, replicate your favourite songs and then write your own. All of which is fun and a chance to be famous and play gigs is lurking in the future. With Games it's hard to replicate your own games or to get a job as game developer. It is also boring and expensive and less chance of beign famous etc.

DISCUSSION IN PUB

What's better to agree/argue about? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

With music it's easier to talk about music/lyrics/band members etc than the latest game for the PS2. It is also more thrilling to talk about great guitar riffs than the handling of the X-Box controller and is also more cooler and such. Easier topic to discuss with opposite sex and has also more chance of getting you laid.

ON YOUR OWN

What's the best companion when you're alone? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Just sit back, relax and put your favourite music on. Let your mind free and have time to think about yourslef and life or jump about the room playing air guitar. With games you could go and blow up people etc but can get boring and such.

And finally:

INFLUENCE

What's going to change you? In my opinion MUSIC wins.

Once again lyrics can stir your emotions... feel like it's written for you... a band's morals could change the way you live or how you create your own music. With games what can you get? Oh I want to go and kill people now because that game character did? Doubt it.

Final Score

MUSIC 7 v 2 GAMES

Of course this post is biast and probably favours Music but hey it's my opinion :)

Thanks for reading
Thu 22/08/02 at 18:42
I'd go for for music because, games just arn't as good unless they have music, you know what im saying? like silent hill, sorry but that would have been crap without its atmospheric scary music
Thu 22/08/02 at 11:39
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
i hate cheese!!!!!!!!!
Thu 22/08/02 at 11:38
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
i hate french cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thu 22/08/02 at 00:20
Regular
"95% organic"
I reckon comparing music to games is like comparing french cheese to ornithology.
Wed 21/08/02 at 23:07
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
weell......... i do like music but i prefur games. you can get a lot out of games? [can you?]
Thu 15/08/02 at 23:26
Regular
The main difference is that Music is for any time, anywhere, while games usually require your full concentration.

Seeing as most of us often put on music, WHILE we play our games, I think that's further proof that games take the upper hand.

Still, if you're bored, music will NEVER occupy and entertain like a game will.
Thu 15/08/02 at 22:13
I think music has more replay value than games, but then I'm not a very serious gamer. The only games I've played through more than twice are adventure games such as Grim Fandango and Discworld Noir, although a quick bash at a random level of Timesplitters or Perfect Dark is always welcome. On the othe hand, you can listen to music you like again and again and it never gets boring. If you play a game or watch a film so many times you know the words in it off by heart, or you always know where the enimies are, you will almost certainly be bored with it, but when you listen to a song enough to know the words you can sing along, adding your own twists and trills or whatever, and it gets more exciting.

Also, some songs do for me what a game never could. I can't think of a real name for it, so I'll call it the "reaching down through my brain and grabbing my soul" factor. I'll guess everyone has at least one - I have quite a few - songs which they can just close their eyes and drift backwards into. I dont mean something you can tap your foot and mouth the words to, this is way more than that. A good example for me is Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses. Whenever i hear it i completely relax into my chair, close my eyes and "become one" with the music (excuse the yen-surfer-dude expression, but it is exactly what I'm looking for) I swim in the emotion that is dripping off the lyrics, and my heart always skips a beat or 2 in the amazing solo, and the finale fills me with energy adn i have to really struggle with myself when I'm on the train to stop myself jumping up and dancing about. Does anyone else have any songs like that?

Anyway, thats why music will always be better than games for me.
Thu 15/08/02 at 16:28
Regular
"In and out :)"
lalakersrule wrote:
> i think nothing is better than having a song you really love playing
> in the background while your playing your favourite game.

I couldnt agree more with that, with me i like listning to songs while im playing either ISS2 of mash bros it just helps me play better it seems
Thu 15/08/02 at 14:06
Regular
0-MessiaH-0 wrote:

> the Nintys, the PS2-crew (rofl) or Xbox fanboys

Got it kinda wrong there

Its

Sonyphiles
Nintys
Xbox-huggers (like me)
:p
Thu 15/08/02 at 13:24
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I try

I win

*dances*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.