GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Peripherals] Console Cooling Fans"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/05/08 at 22:58
Regular
"Braaains"
They're all horrible useless pieces of plastic. Don't buy them.

What, you want more? Okay. Well, in case you haven't seen them on the shelves of your local game store, console cooling fans are clip on devices for the Wii, 360 and PS3 that supposedly help stop your console getting too hot. Because everyone's heard about those overheating problems that plague all three of next general consoles, right?

Er, no. And this is where you might detect the faint whiff of bulls.. I mean snake oil. The problems with the 360 red ringing do apparently have something to do with the console getting too hot. But the PS3? And the Wii? Both those consoles run pretty cool. What actually happened was that these cooling devices first appeared as 360 add-on devices, but were then produced for the Wii and PS3, presumably to cash in on any console owners who lived in fear of their devices going supernova.

So what about the 360 - surely these cooling fans must do some good there, right? No - they're just as useless there. The fans sit at the back of the console, over the existing fan. To actually make any real difference to the console's temperature, you'd have crack the console open and install a better set of fans. Which you can do, but it would invalidate the warranty. Plus, some of these fans, the ones that sit between the power socket on the 360 and the power lead, can apparently cause electrical shorts and damage the console.

The bottom line is that if your console is overheating to the point where it stops working, there's either something wrong with the console, in which case you should get it repaired, or there's something blocking the ventilation. These cheap plastic con jobs should be avoided.
Wed 28/05/08 at 22:58
Regular
"Braaains"
They're all horrible useless pieces of plastic. Don't buy them.

What, you want more? Okay. Well, in case you haven't seen them on the shelves of your local game store, console cooling fans are clip on devices for the Wii, 360 and PS3 that supposedly help stop your console getting too hot. Because everyone's heard about those overheating problems that plague all three of next general consoles, right?

Er, no. And this is where you might detect the faint whiff of bulls.. I mean snake oil. The problems with the 360 red ringing do apparently have something to do with the console getting too hot. But the PS3? And the Wii? Both those consoles run pretty cool. What actually happened was that these cooling devices first appeared as 360 add-on devices, but were then produced for the Wii and PS3, presumably to cash in on any console owners who lived in fear of their devices going supernova.

So what about the 360 - surely these cooling fans must do some good there, right? No - they're just as useless there. The fans sit at the back of the console, over the existing fan. To actually make any real difference to the console's temperature, you'd have crack the console open and install a better set of fans. Which you can do, but it would invalidate the warranty. Plus, some of these fans, the ones that sit between the power socket on the 360 and the power lead, can apparently cause electrical shorts and damage the console.

The bottom line is that if your console is overheating to the point where it stops working, there's either something wrong with the console, in which case you should get it repaired, or there's something blocking the ventilation. These cheap plastic con jobs should be avoided.
Thu 29/05/08 at 06:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
Completely agree with you mate.Regarding the 360 add ons the RROD failure (believed to be due to overheating) is covered for 3 years now anyway.My 2 year old 360 died recently and Microsoft repaired and returned it to me in under 2 weeks for free.Another thing which has always baffled me with the 360 'intercooler' is why would you want to strap more noisy fans onto something that sounds like a hovercraft anyway !.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.