GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Making my own website...any tips and advice??"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 22/05/08 at 21:27
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Hellloooooo - I'm planning to make my own website all by myself. However, I don't really know much about HTML and am quite scared by the whole prospect. Can anyone suggest any how-to websites or ways to make the process a lot nicer for me???

Thaaaaaaaaanks :)
Thu 22/05/08 at 21:27
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Hellloooooo - I'm planning to make my own website all by myself. However, I don't really know much about HTML and am quite scared by the whole prospect. Can anyone suggest any how-to websites or ways to make the process a lot nicer for me???

Thaaaaaaaaanks :)
Thu 22/05/08 at 21:43
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Depends entirely what you want to achieve and what sort of site you want to build. Yes you can go ahead and learn html/css and start building everything yourself. But ask yourself first if its a good use of your time. Theres plenty of free site builders out there which do a half decent job (eg freewebs.com), and even Freeola have instant sites which gives you some pretty good results. But if you want to get your hands dirty you can try something like NVU which is free to use.
Thu 22/05/08 at 21:58
Regular
"Mooching around"
Does anyone these days code enitrely by their own hand?
Thu 22/05/08 at 22:15
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The Reaper wrote:
> Does anyone these days code enitrely by their own hand?

Sure, in fact you'll probably find that use of things like Dreamweaver etc. has diminished in the professional market not increased.
Thu 22/05/08 at 22:40
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Thanks Garin...I don't really understand the difference between freewebs and your own one from scratch. Can freewebs look professional, or is it obviously 'out of a tin'
Fri 23/05/08 at 02:07
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
MarcoG wrote:
> Thanks Garin...I don't really understand the difference between
> freewebs and your own one from scratch. Can freewebs look
> professional, or is it obviously 'out of a tin'

I'm sure at sometime you've viewed the source of a webpage and seen all the html/css. Now you can learn all that html/css and do it yourself (typically called hand coding). However there are shortcuts. I'm sure you've heard of programs like Dreamweaver, they offer WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors. Meaning they allow you create your webpage in a visual manner without having to start typing in html/css (although they allow you to view and edit it if you want to). That Nvu I linked to earlier is another (free) one of these programs. The next stage up is what sites like freewebs offer. Similar to Dreamweaver/Nvu but they are browser based and things are much more simplified (and thus less flexible/powerful). The target audience is people who know nothing and really dont have much interest in learning anything either. Having said that its more than possible to create decent sites with them.

What the best approach for you is its hard to say, as I dont know what website you want to create or whether you have other goals too (like acquiring some new skills). If you just want to put up a personal website, the hand coding approach is quite alot to learn for a one off project in my opinion. Yet if you were creating a business site then maybe learning to do things the long way first off might have some benefits too.
Whatever you're doing, I'd suggest you have a go with eg freewebs and Nvu anyway. Just have a play about with them, they're free so the only thing you're wasting is time. It'll give you a good idea of whats involved anyway.

Perhaps a bit of an incomplete summary, but hope its of some small help anyway.
Fri 23/05/08 at 11:45
Regular
"Twenty quid."
The Reaper wrote:

Me sir! Me! Me!

I'm nearly finished with a new design right at the moment actually -- have a sneak peak if you want.
Fri 23/05/08 at 16:10
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
Timmargh wrote:
> The Reaper wrote:
>
> Me sir! Me! Me!

dork :P
Fri 23/05/08 at 17:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
The Reaper wrote:

I do and I thoroughly enjoy it - now I've been tagged a 'geek' - take a look...

here
Fri 23/05/08 at 19:12
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Thanks so much Garin (...I would quote and thank you directly for it, as I'm sure is the right forum etiquetter, but that would tak eup LOTS of space)...I think I'll give the two links a go...not sure when I'll get time, but I'm sure I'll get round to it eventually :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.