GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cooling off"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/08/02 at 18:50
Regular
I'm fed up with the really noisy fans in my PC - they're driving me insane. I've had a look at a Water Cooling Kit available from Maplins, with the following equipment:

2 x Waterblocks
1 x thermal paste
9ft of ¼" silicon tubing
1 x Fill jug
4 x Different Mounting Clips
1 x Slot 1/A adaptor
3 x Slot and Socket hold down devices
1 x P4 device
1 x 12v Pump/Res
1 x Box full of hose clamps/screws.

I have no idea what this means for the welfare of my PC once installed, but I need to know, for those who've used or know more about water cooling, if the water tank/reservoir required is relatively small (ie. fits into a small room), and where the coolers will be installed ie. on the CPU, GPU, but is there a need for anywhere else?

I'm asking this as the two additional fans I have on the case produce the loudest noise, and I want to get rid of these as well.

Finally, a thing about Peltier devices - I've heard about it can channel heat so that it's very hot on one side, and cool on the other - where does this heat go without boiling the PC - would a water cooler be a good thing to use next to the Peltier device?

I hope someone can help.
Tue 06/08/02 at 18:50
I'm fed up with the really noisy fans in my PC - they're driving me insane. I've had a look at a Water Cooling Kit available from Maplins, with the following equipment:

2 x Waterblocks
1 x thermal paste
9ft of ¼" silicon tubing
1 x Fill jug
4 x Different Mounting Clips
1 x Slot 1/A adaptor
3 x Slot and Socket hold down devices
1 x P4 device
1 x 12v Pump/Res
1 x Box full of hose clamps/screws.

I have no idea what this means for the welfare of my PC once installed, but I need to know, for those who've used or know more about water cooling, if the water tank/reservoir required is relatively small (ie. fits into a small room), and where the coolers will be installed ie. on the CPU, GPU, but is there a need for anywhere else?

I'm asking this as the two additional fans I have on the case produce the loudest noise, and I want to get rid of these as well.

Finally, a thing about Peltier devices - I've heard about it can channel heat so that it's very hot on one side, and cool on the other - where does this heat go without boiling the PC - would a water cooler be a good thing to use next to the Peltier device?

I hope someone can help.
Tue 06/08/02 at 19:11
Regular
"How Handy."
Personally, I wouldnt buy from Maplins, I'd buy from a proper overclocking shop, you'll get better quality stuff, possibly cheaper, and the staff will be able to advise you better than the teenagers who work in Maplins....

Peltiers are used with a watercooling kit or something even stronger, but I REALLY wouldnt recommend a peltier unless you know exactly what your doing, the hot side produces massive problems, such as condensation. Also, that kit doesn't have a radiator, so wouldnt cool the peltier well enough, so you'd end up melting something.

The only parts of the PC that need cooling really are the CPU and the GPU, although some motherboard northbridges run very hot, so consider that, or adding a larger heatsink.

Your also going to need to keep the water cool somehow, and without a radiator that may be difficult and will probably need case fans anyway.

Water Cooling is safe, and a good way to keep your PC cool, but it has to be done right, so consider other things first, and use water cooling as a last resort. There are a wide variety of silent fans and stuff out there to make your PC quieter, in particular, try http://www.quietpc.com/ or Papst fans available from www.overclockers.co.uk
Tue 06/08/02 at 19:37
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
IMHO you have to be pretty hardcore or desperate to want water cooling, and I garauntee it's not going to help you. That case still needs ventillation, water cooling or no, and it's often items such as case fans/hdds/PSUs/GPUs/CD-ROMs that cause noise. If I stop my HSF, I can't hear any difference over the noise of the PSU, GPU, or in particular my intake fan. That's why I'm in the process fo replacing the intake and installing an exhaust, which should both be silent. I may replace my PSU, but I've realised the noise from that depends on internal temperature, and lowering that (with the silent fans) will reduce the noise from it. To be truly honest I think water cooling is a thorough waste of money to anyone who isn't a serious overclocker.
Wed 07/08/02 at 12:50
Regular
I had water cooling in my system for ages and i couldnt fault it, i wish i hadnt got rid of it now as it was so quiet and great at cooling but a radiator is needed, also i am a serious overclocker so it helped me, i would say it was worth it but if you are not overclocking that much and the heat isnt that high then with the money you will spend on a water cooling kit you could get all round new heatsinks with low noise fans or go for the zalmon range of heatsinks they do these for cpu's, gpu's and northbridges and they work well and are basically silent, have a look at www.overclockers.co.uk.

c.b.
Wed 07/08/02 at 18:29
Turbonutter wrote:
> IMHO you have to be pretty hardcore or desperate to want water...

IMHO??? Huh?
>

HSF - Do you mean high speed fan by that?
Wed 07/08/02 at 18:33
I have four fans at the mo - PSU, GPU, CPU and a case fan on the back. If I were to remove the latter, at replace it withan exhaust, as you say TBN, would there be no noticable difference in heat within the case?

Also, where do you get these exhausts?
Wed 07/08/02 at 19:20
By the way Turbonutter, doesn't an exhaust create quite a bit of noise like an intake fan?
Wed 07/08/02 at 19:28
Regular
HSF = HEATSINK AND FAN

One thing you have to make sure when putting case fans in and that is that you "exhaust" more air than you put in otherwise you will just be blowing hot air around your system, so 2 fans is better with one taking in and one exhausting out at the moment i have 4 case fans in my system, 1 80mm slowish intake fan in the bottom corner of my case, 1 80mm slowish fan in the rear corner of my case intakeing, 1 i have cut into the side panel of my case directly above my CPU HSF and then i have cut a hole in the top of my case for my 120mm highish speed papst fan exhausting and my cpu (P4 1.8 Nw running at 2.61ghz, 1.8 volts) is about 47 degrees under load, there are a few other things to take help with excessive heat, you can "LAP" your cpu Heatsink (this is a process in which you finely sand down the contact side of your heatsink thus making better contact with the cpu core, you can use better heat transfer paste, you can purchase a better Heatsink and fan, you can try and adapt an 80/120mm fan on your current heatsink and fan.

c.b.
Wed 07/08/02 at 19:36
Regular
Also i have a Heatsink and fan you can have for £25 inc post and package just sitting around doing nothing it is for Athlons, it is called a cooler master heat pipe and is pretty good also have a look at them zalman heatsinks i told you about they are nearly quiet, go to overclockers.co.uk.

c.b.
Wed 07/08/02 at 19:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
DeltaJava wrote:
> I have four fans at the mo - PSU, GPU, CPU and a case fan on the back.
> If I were to remove the latter, at replace it withan exhaust, as you
> say TBN, would there be no noticable difference in heat within the
> case?
>
> Also, where do you get these exhausts?

A fan at the back is an exhaust. Any fan. Just as long as it blows outwartds.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.