GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Film) The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 18/05/08 at 22:14
Regular
"I like turtles"
This film is famous as it is the first time martial arts action legends Jackie Chan and Jet Li have ever starred in the same film together.There were cynics who said it is too late in both of their careers for this to be a good idea.Well are they right ?.

As a lifelong Jackie Chan fan I must say some of the US films he has made in the past (especially those made in the last 5 years) have been utter garbage.While Jet Li (who I admit I am personally not anything like as much of a fan of)has also made some pretty dire movies himself.I really didn't hold out a huge amount of hope for this.It is directed by Rob Minkoff who was responsible for the Stuart Little films as well as Eddie Murphy's dire Haunted Mansion movie,he did also direct Disney's Lion King.Even so,hardly the first choice to tackle a project such as this in my opinion.It is basically an action based fantasy film,but its aimed squarely at the family market.Which will probably mean Chan and Li's hardcore fans are going to despise it with a passion.

After the opening 10 minutes I thought I was going to hate this film but I have to say I really enjoyed it.Its pure hokum and its all the better for it.The story revolves around a young American boy who is magically transported back to ancient China to return a sacred staff back to 'its rightful owner'.He has to do this in order to return home.It plays a bit like The Never Ending Story meets Monkey!.The action sequences are spectacular and very enjoyable (if perhaps a just little gravity defying!).

Chan and Li's characters are there to assist him in his journey and both are funny and very likeable.Chan plays a drunken master and Li a monk.Chan's character needs a continuous supply of wine to keep up his style while Li's takes a far more serious approach.They complement each other superbly in the scenes they share together.But this is nothing like the butt kicking action fest I was expecting at all.

Over the past few years I have wasted many hours and much of my hard earned cash on going to watch mega hyped but hugely disappointing summer blockbusters.Yet here is one that in my opinion does the job it was designed to do,it entertains.Its a big budget film which is funny,looks fantastic and its hour and a half running time simply flies by.As for those who say Chan and Li are past their sell by dates,I totally disagree.Both are brilliant in this and in my opinion its still their show.

A thoroughly enjoyable fun film that left a big smile on my face.8/10.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 18/05/08 at 22:14
Regular
"I like turtles"
This film is famous as it is the first time martial arts action legends Jackie Chan and Jet Li have ever starred in the same film together.There were cynics who said it is too late in both of their careers for this to be a good idea.Well are they right ?.

As a lifelong Jackie Chan fan I must say some of the US films he has made in the past (especially those made in the last 5 years) have been utter garbage.While Jet Li (who I admit I am personally not anything like as much of a fan of)has also made some pretty dire movies himself.I really didn't hold out a huge amount of hope for this.It is directed by Rob Minkoff who was responsible for the Stuart Little films as well as Eddie Murphy's dire Haunted Mansion movie,he did also direct Disney's Lion King.Even so,hardly the first choice to tackle a project such as this in my opinion.It is basically an action based fantasy film,but its aimed squarely at the family market.Which will probably mean Chan and Li's hardcore fans are going to despise it with a passion.

After the opening 10 minutes I thought I was going to hate this film but I have to say I really enjoyed it.Its pure hokum and its all the better for it.The story revolves around a young American boy who is magically transported back to ancient China to return a sacred staff back to 'its rightful owner'.He has to do this in order to return home.It plays a bit like The Never Ending Story meets Monkey!.The action sequences are spectacular and very enjoyable (if perhaps a just little gravity defying!).

Chan and Li's characters are there to assist him in his journey and both are funny and very likeable.Chan plays a drunken master and Li a monk.Chan's character needs a continuous supply of wine to keep up his style while Li's takes a far more serious approach.They complement each other superbly in the scenes they share together.But this is nothing like the butt kicking action fest I was expecting at all.

Over the past few years I have wasted many hours and much of my hard earned cash on going to watch mega hyped but hugely disappointing summer blockbusters.Yet here is one that in my opinion does the job it was designed to do,it entertains.Its a big budget film which is funny,looks fantastic and its hour and a half running time simply flies by.As for those who say Chan and Li are past their sell by dates,I totally disagree.Both are brilliant in this and in my opinion its still their show.

A thoroughly enjoyable fun film that left a big smile on my face.8/10.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.